Herald of Death

Daemon2027

A little intro. For a long time I have been interested by the Death Guard. Even before Forge World fleshed out there past the story of Mortarion on Barbarus, the becalming in the warp, the fall to Chaos. I think out of all the chaos legions it's the easiest to relate to. We've all been ill, and I'm sure we've all thought like we would do anything to feel better. The Death Guard, with the Thousand Sons, came off the worst from the Heresy, turned into literal monsters, needing thier God to survive.

I have never felt confident in my ability to do them justice. Even the simpler 30k scheme came. Ross as colic aged. Then I realised it was just a case of trying out something new. I've seen a lot of people Death Guard with washes made from oil paint. Having recently moved to a place with a real art supply shop I went and got some supplies. I decided not to stop with oil paints, but also grabbed some other bits like run and buff metallics, inks, and some other paints from the like of Vallejo.

And to experiment on, well none other then Callus Typhus himself:

16346322978_d757f62de3_c.jpg

Not a great picture but this was the first attempt with the oil based wash, I was happy with the result, far to brown, so I stripped it back, and tried again.

16347730749_f425754752_c.jpg15911436864_0084ea0200_c.jpg

Again, not great pics, but my second attempt is a lot lighter. Not as suitable as most, but I quite like the worn look. I have re-varnished and will start work on the greens and metals later.

This really started off as a simple painting project, but I must admit I am tempted to get some more Death Guard. Just need to decide if I should do a 30k or 40k themed force....

More work on Typhus, with pic taken in the glory of a sunny England!

16558913465_2856272368_c.jpg

The metals need a little work and a few other details. I've really enjoyed painting him so far, I'm definitely going to grab some Deathshroud or Grave Wardens next month.

I also feel I should I explore a more Chaosy side, I have a few ideas, fulled by a bit of a (mild) man flu temperature, combined with reading Swampthing, Hellblazet, and Lovecraft. More to come on that side.

Yeah I did, tempted, but I may just grab a couple of Deathshroud and some Tartaros so I can mix it all up a bit.

I've realised it's slightly idiotic to use an expensive model as a test piece. Still, it's been a lot of fun.

The Chaosy Death Guard will be more 40k. And maybe a bit different. GS work in progress.

Archived