Militarum Tempestus Help

So I recently acquired some militarum tesmpestus to assist my wolves. And I need some advice on how to play them. 

So far I have:

1 Commisar

30 Tempestus Scions 

2 Tauroxes

2 Valkyries

I have 10k points of space wolves to assist and I have a knight. I know that Temspestus are limited tactically since they only have tauroxes and valkyries for vehicle support, and they are just the one troops choice. 

How do you employ them ?

Scions are a precision army, they can hit hard but are fragile and lacking in full options as you know. They'd work well with Wolves matching the approach of getting in close, I think the trick is to plan carefully and to be bold as you can't afford to :cuss foot around. Get stuck in and be ruthless! I'm sure some of our Scion commanders will arrive soon to give you more detailed help but I will look forward to seeing your Stormtroopers come along :)

I'm pretty used to two opposite ends of the CC spectrum, Tau and CoF Wolves. With a WS of 3 they don't look bad in close combat provided they get the charge. I'm thinking that it would be best to let my wolves do the Close combat while using the tempestus to take objectives and kill enemy troops. The only drawback I see is that the HSLG is 18" range and rapid fire, meaning I need to get really close to produce a good volume of fire. However with the AP3, I can still kill SM, on 5's... They'd be a good match up against my tau as well.

As for building them up, I have a knight that I can put in, to get me up around 1500pts, and with my wolves, I can get them some tanks or heavy weapons squads, for even higher points. 

So I built my tempestus today. I made two command squads, and 2 10 man squads. I took autocannons instead of volley guns, and I made the main guns swappable. I chose to use plasma guns in my line squads, and volley guns in my command squads. 

Any suggestions on how to play this? What should I put in what?

I'd hide the Tauroxes in cover with Camo.

Then split the infantry into 5'man squads with Plasma and Deep Strike them.

Edit - with one 5 man Command with Melta.

Well it all runs down, as I usually write, your army synergy. 

I my self run a command squad with 4 volley guns as you have done. A lot of players disagree with this setup as the volley gun is salvo. 

But I have found that forsaking one turn of shooting (turn 1) to get into position, preferably in cover and within a maelstrom objective, you will be in a good position from turn 2.

This has proven good in my games as it give my opponent something to think about. Sure, its only 24" and can be avoided, but if he needs to counter my command squads objective, he usually needs to get in there. 

Remember, when placing maelstrom objectives, have this in mind. You will get at least two objectives in favourable position. Place these in the middle section, close to your deployment, and in cover if possible. So, once you roll of for sides, you will have at least one that you placed, in the middle and in cover (of course you opponent will have the same as it is mirrored). 

By doing this, you now have a 24" bubble where most of the action usually is. Again, this works for me as its a part of my army synergy. 

I have very limited experience with Tauroxes. I usually deep strike all my troops. Meltaguns in 5 man units is pretty cheap and if the opponent ignores them, they can run around and grab objectives. During my game play, I have many times opted to ignore taking out a tank for an objective instead. This has proven a good choice in all occasions so far. 

For transport I use a Valkyrie, and in there sits 10 men, plasma guns, plasma pistols (one dual wielding plasma pistol inquisitor joins here too). This unit usually erases what ever unit it targets. If not killed outright, it cripples the unit badly. 

The few times I hav proxied a Taurox, I have used volley guns and autocannons. 
With my army synergy, I have more use of the volley guns than the autocannons. 

Played as an allied army, autocannons can come from another source. Volley guns can only come from the Militarum Tempestus. 

The exact way  I set up my command squads is such:

1 Tempestor prime

1 Tempestus w/medipack

1 Tempestus with vox caster

2 Tempestus with Volley Guns

I set up both my regular squads this way:

2 Tempestus with Plasma Guns

1 Tempestus with vox Caster

6 Tempestus with HSLG

1 Tempestor w/BP and PF(or CCW to save points, I like PF they look cool, it could also be a power maul because it's similarly bashy...)

I like big Squads, and I'll probably another box of Tempestus to make more termpestors and special weapons. Now since I'm new to the MT, and AM in general, How exactly do orders work? They're issued by the command squads right? The effect everyone right?

The other thing I thought I'd do, is put the Command squads in the Tauroxes, to give some added firepower, and use them to take  objectives. While I send the Vakyries full of Tempestus to grav chute in, and kill stuff. at 1500 points I'm also bringing a Knight, to give some much needed fire support. At higher points I have my space wolves to back them up with terminators, dreadnoughts and vindicators.  

Here it is so far:

WP 20150307 001

1500 points so far. I really don't have any way to get the bulk of my troops to the fight without the tauroxes, and that leaves my command squads in the back, which isn't that bad since I'll be using them for orders mostly, and then I have the Valk Squadron coming in from reserve. I'll have the knight out there too hammering things with the rapid fire battle cannon, or the thermal cannon, depending on which I take. 

Since they're mostly a supplementary force for my Space Wolves, I'm thinking of doing them like Wolf Scouts. The vehicles will get an Air Force Grey scheme. And I'm going to try to do hog snouts (ala Arkansas Air National Guard A-10's) on the Valks. I kinda had the idea that they would be taken from a planet near the eastern fringe (near the Tau empire) that is more liberal than the rest of the Imperium. I see them as being like the 75th Ranger Regiment and 160th SOAR in space. Being backed up by Space Vikings. So they kinda need to have some common elements between them. The Scions armor will be dirtied up russ grey with bronze on the raised portions, and dark tan fatigues underneath. I also have some Dark Angels that I can use with them.

I also wanted to use them as Gue'vesas for my Tau. Which basically they would stand in for whatever unit I choose to use them in place of (fire warriors and pathfinders mostly). 

I have a whole story kinda worked out, with my Space wolves being made up of the remnants of a Lost Great Company, that happens upon this world whilst running down some vile chaos traitors. They decide to take up the defense of this world, and their Tau allies from the threat of chaos. Because that sounds like something Space Wolves would do, and since America produced the Rangers it could happen in 40k too, and since the Tau are like space Japan, they're ok I guess. There's also some Necrons doing some trade and mutual defense in there as well. (That's how I thought it up in a nutshell, so that in campaigns I can play whatever the heck I want, and so I can plunk them all on the table in an Apoc game and feel ok about it...).

It bears mention that I had to cleanse some vile chaos taint from these Tempestus (previous owner had intended them to be lost and damned).

Led by Jarl Ulrik Ironfist (logan grimnar) and his Huskarl (Voidclaws). All accompanied by the honored Einherjar Soren Wylfblud(Bjorn) and his thanes Erik the Strong(Ven dread), and Sven Redtooth (Murderfang). 

I plan on adding a baneblade to this group of tempestas, and eventually expanding this into a full IG army (at some point). I fully inend to have 10K in IG, giving me 20k points of the ARMIES OF THE IMPERIUM!!!!!!!

FOR RUSS!!! FOR THE ALLFATHER!!! HAIL THE IMPERIUM OF MAN!!!

AIR ASSAULT!!!

My thought on scions is that they need to bring as many command squads as possible, and that they should probably be ran without any extra weapons to take the target off their back (their order potential is too high to run them as a special weapon squad).

The reason they have the volley guns is to give them some shooting potential to defend themselves, the big squads are a much bigger threat, with all those HSLG and PG. I need a box of tempestus to make special weapons, and a box for a regular squad. so I have some to run when I run the rest as Grenadier Vets (for armor shenanigans). 

As it stands I have 3 HQ choices and only 2 HQ slots. I like the CS over the commissar for the MT's. But to run them as grenadier vets I can use one CS for a CCS and one for a MTCS, while using the Commissar for other benefits. 

My thought on scions is that they need to bring as many command squads as possible, and that they should probably be ran without any extra weapons to take the target off their back (their order potential is too high to run them as a special weapon squad).

Well that all depends. What do you need in the army and what is the command squads purpose?

Relying on the orders really bad in situations where you really need them, because they will fail that one time :)

Also, you will limit the strategy if you want most of your scions in range. 

Volley guns are a good choice for not pulling to much attention. They are medium range and standard strength. They can be avoided by the enemy. 

Also they are cheap, and can if played right do a lot of damage and provide some tactical value. 

Good post Vash, the command squad's ability to take lots of special weapons is hard to pass up for an army that has few options. You'll need every special weapon you can get almost, chances are the squad will take flak anyway for being a small but useful one so you may as well give them some bite.

Perhaps a bit of both, reserving one CS to buff your troops with orders and another to get in to the action?

I was going to essentially use the CS's to run up in Taurox Primes, take an objective, and camp it with the taurox providing supporting fire, and then having established the CP, the Scion squads would move into position to hammer the enemy position with sustained fire, until the Valkyries arrived to provide CAS. Until then the knight would advance the field and pummel the opponent's line with the rapid fire battlecannon.

At first I was gonna make them Skaerls (chapter serfs), but I went a different direction with my Great Company's fluff. No, they aren't, they're going to get a similar paint job, but that's about it. I have them being from an industrialized world near the borders of the Tau empire. Their world doesn't get frequent visits from the imperium, because it's a relatively self sufficient and self-reliant world. They're a liberal democratic society, with a good standard of living. One of those median worlds you never hear about. They trade with the imperium when they come around, but do most of their trade with the Tau, and a nearby Necron Dynasty. My Wylfings Great company came upon these people while chasing a chaos warband. The Wylfings liked the place so much, they took an unpopulated stretch of tundra for a base and set up shop helping to defend the world from chaos. They don't care much about the Tau or the Necrons, because they have a huge hate-on for chaos, and little time for anything else... 

I also want to use them for Gue'Vesa's to boost my Tau numbers for larger games.

Stormtroopers are great at eliminating enemy elites, be they terminators or land raiders, but they lack the shot and model count to deal with non-elite forces. High ppm units, regardless of codex, are dead meat, but low point/model units will swamp tempestus scions. That's all you need to know, enemy-independent!

Archived