Militarum Tempestus Help

I played my first game with my tempestus (sorry no pics), against blood angels. I lost by 1 VP, because I couldn't keep him out of close combat. I played only tempestus and a knight at 1500 pts. I recently learned about the sanctus reach  formations, the Steel Host and the Rampart Detachment. The Steel host would allow me to add some armor and anti air, and the Rampart detachment would give me the ability to put a threat out front for my opponent to deal with. I struggled to deal with the stormraven, I didn't have any decent anti-air, the only thing that could do anything to it was the knight after he put the raven into hover. My Valks struggled to kill much of anything. 

What do you think about adding those formations to my Tempestus? 

We've heard good things about the Steel Host, but a Storm Raven is a tough cookie so I'm not sure if a single Hydra will cut it. A Vendetta might be a better unit to ally in perhaps? It certainly packs a lot more punch and can target ground units effectively too.

How about the Rampart Detachment, 2 5 man squads of Bullgryns and a CS to provide me a moving barricade to provide a melee threat? I was thinking of using 2 five man squads of SW voidclaws in a similar manner until I get the rampart. I need something to keep assault focused opponents away from my Scions. 

The way I had my valks kitted was

Rocket pods & Multilaser w/ doorguns

Hellstrike & Lascannon w/ doorguns

How do you kit out your valks?

I'm afraid I don't know about the Bullgryn one, I'm not sure anyone has enough models to use it :lol: Can you list the basic premise of the Rampart Detachment?

My Valks are kept simple, just the missile pods. Gives them some good anti-personnel capability - I think the heavy bolters are too expensive for what you get.

The way the dataslate in the Red WAAAGH! reads, is that friendly models partially obscured by the formation gain +1 to their cover save (which the slabshields do already) and it has Counter-attack, fear, and fearless.

It's  two 5 man bullgryn squads, and a platoon command squad.

The way I think it's supposed to be used is as a mobile Aegis defense line. I'd put each bullgryn squad ahead of my tempestus squads, and use the bullgryns to screen for my tempestus. The bullgryns would be laying down GL templates, and present a melee threat. It would force my opponent to spend time and shots to take them down, all the while my tempestus would get the opportunity to shoot the opponent up and grab and hold objectives. 

I need some help figuring out my deployment. I have two Valkyries, and two Taurox Primes, I have two command squads and two 10 man squads to field. I need help deploying them.

In my first game I had my two command squads on the table, in tauroxes, and my knight. My Scions were in reserve in my Valkyries. I didn't have enough guns to protect my tauroxes and they were hulled out in the first 2 turns. I have since learned to put Camo netting on them and dozer blades, but the 6+ cover may have been of limited use. 

My opponent seized the initiative and went first. He had blood angels and was assault heavy. I didn't have the firepower to deal with his vehicles, after he wrecked my tauroxes. 

Using what I have how should I have deployed them? How would you outfit them?

I would think a command squad and 10 man squad in each grouping of transports. this will give orders for each 10 man squad increasing their potency, and give you 15 guns right from the get go. To be honest I would probably not even board the valks or taurox and just dig in and then be ready to evacuate half your forces in the taurox while the other half and the knight slow down the opponent. Try to take anything that can move fast and then let him chase the tauroxes around on foot.

Edited for spelling

I had a similar idea, Over on the SW forum, it was suggested to have them come in on drop pods, I was thinking of using :FA: razorbacks for the command squads, because they have tougher armor, and they're packing some heavy weapons, giving me some more help. I was also thinking about including some assault marines and thunderwolf cavalry to make up a good melee threat, while taking some long fangs for heavy weapons and long range support along with a predator annihilator. 

Essentially I'd be using my wolves to fill in the blanks that tempestus have.

Archived