1000 point RW vs Nids

ValourousHeart

Well I have been away from this game since early 5th edition, and only recently started playing again.

Sunday I got to play against a Nids list.

RAVENWING

Sammie - Speeder

3 bikes, 1 attack bike w/ Heavy Bolter

3 bikes, 1 attack bike w/ Heavy Bolter

3 bikes, 1 attack bike w/ Heavy Bolter (outflank)

Nephilim w/ Avenger Mega Bolter

Deredeo Dreadnought w/ Aiolos Missile Launcher

TYRANIDS

Tyrant w/ wings (2 powers, no guns)

Trygon Prime (deep strike)

Toxicrene

6 Stealers

Venomthrop

3 Warriors (2 devorers, 1 venom canon)

3 Warriors (2 devorers, 1 venom canon)

Since there were 2 other games going on, we got the small 4 x 4 table.

He set up his Toxicrene center of his deployment zone behind a tower that was in midfield.  The Tyrant took one flank and the Venomthrop, who was hiding out of LOS, took a building on the other flank with the 2 squads of warriors to give them a nice 2+ cover save.  The warriors were on the tallest building on the table but their were some key pieces of terrain that blocked LOS  and gave me a nice approach route to that building.

My deployment was the Deredeo set up on top of the tower in the center of my deployment zone.  Sammie set up on the same flank as the warriors, as their was a nice LOS blocking wall at the edge of my deployment zone.  All of my bikes and attack bikes spread out across the front line of my deployment zone out in the open, in an attempt to push his stealers as far back as possible.

His stealers set up about 12 inches out from Sammie.

My 2 attack bikes scouted back behind the Deredeo's tower, and my 2 bike squads scouted forward to the wall in front of the Tyrant.  If I could steal I wanted to deal with those stealers first.  If I couldn't I wanted to discourage the Tyrant from going over to reinforce the stealers position.

I didn't get the inititive, so he went first. He jumped forward with his Tyrant to the wall, and moved his Toxicrene forward.  The stealers moved right up to the wall right beside Sammie.  He was going to be in trouble next turn if something wasn't done about them.  The Tyrant failed to get off his first power, the one that causes a ton of wounds to all units within 6in.  Thank God it failed, it was in range to both of my bike squads.  The second power did go off, this one caused pining, I failed the leadership test, but bikes ignore pinning.   The Toxicrene also shot at that squad, and between that power and the shot I lost 2 bikers out of that squad.  The warriors only had LOS to the Deredeo but they were either just out of range or couldn't hurt AV13.  In the assault phase my lone Sarg managed to put one wound on the Tyrant in over watch, and then the Tyrant failed its charge roll by 1.

Bottom of turn 1, Sammie hops over the wall and drops the squad of stealers in one go (first blood).  The lone sarg and the other bike squad wanting nothing to do with the tyrant head over to help Sammie with the stealers, and turbo boosed over behind the wall that Sammie started behind when they saw that Sammie didn't need the help.  The 2 attack bikes moved up to try to take a few wounds off the Tyrant.  The Deredeo then finished off the Tyrant (slay the warlord).  I didn't want to charge anything.

Turn 2, the Trygon Prime fails to show up.  The Toxicrene fails its instinctive behavior test, and rolls a 5.  It shambles forward to try to get into assault, but is unable to shoot.  The warriors try shooting at the attack bikes but fail to wound.  The Toxicrene tries to charge one of the attack bikes but fails by one inch.  Over watch did nothing.

Bottom of 2 my bikes, attack bike and Nephilim come in.  The bikes come in on the flank with the warriors, and the attack bike comes in on the other flank.  The 3 attack bikes and Sammie try to deal with the Toxicrene.  The bikes that were over by the wall move over to the board edge to slip thru a gap, in a plan to have them move up and engage the warriors.  The Nephilim set up his attack run down a line that will take it past the Toxicrene on the way to the warriors.  Sammie and the attack bikes soften up the Toxicrene and allow the Deredeo to finish it off.  The Deredeo then used its missile launch to target the venomthrop and took it out with ease.  The bikes that came in on outflank managed to kill one warrior and put one wound on another.  The Nephilim managed to do the same damage to the other warrior squad.

Top of turn 3 the the Trygon Prime arrives and in a very darring move puts it right behind the Deredeo's tower, right next to 2 attack bikes and the board edge.  Very gutsy, but he has to deal with that Deredeo some how.  The scatter is good taking him away from the attack bikes but not off the board.  The Deredeo is able to interceptor with his missile launcher and manages 1 wound. The Prime had scattered into side armor of the Deredeo so decides to try and shoot at the 3 bikes along the flank, but they make their armor saves.  The warriors shoot at the bike squad that had just arrived and kill one.  Then they tried to charge, overwatch does nothing, they fail their assault move.

Bottom of turn 3, I kill off one of the warrior squads and take a wound off the other.  2 attack bikes target the Prime, as does the Deredeo and managed to get it down to 2 wounds.

Top of turn 4... The Trygon Prime is ready to tear my Deredeo apart.  He makes his charge and I fail to do anything in overwatch or in CC, and he manages to take off a hull point and stuns me.  (I forgot about the 6++ save this guy gets in CC).

Bottom of turn 4 the Nephilim leaves the board I dispatch the last 2 warriors leaving only the Prime left to deal with.  In CC the Prime tears off the Deredeo's missile launcher and a hull point with it.  Again my dread does nothing to the Prime.

Top of turn 5 the Prime removes the last hull point from the dread.

Bottom of turn 5 only a few units are able to get over to the Prime but they fail to kill it.

Top of turn 6 Prime shoots and kills an attack bike in the shooting phase stranding him in the open.

Bottom of turn 6 the rest of my army managed to get in range and LOS to the Prime, and took off the last 2 wound with bolter fire.

Well the MVP of the match was without a doubt the Deredeo.  There was of course cross fire from everything, my maxim is if it is close get rid of it.  But the Deredeo accounted for the Tyrant (turn 1), the Toxicrene (turn 2), the venomthrop (turn 2), and held up the Trygon Prime for 3 CC phases.

Well the Deredeo is an absolute beast, it now has a permanent place in my list, and as soon as possible I'll be converting a second one.

Deredeo works well alongside anti I gantry units like whirlwinds or massed boltguns he can't stand alone against heavy loads of infantry he's a selective killer much like the predator tank he needs to be left alone to dump shots every turn, any turn he isn't shooting or in cc is an opportunity wasted

Archived