A poll for all the painters

Chefzilla

Keirdale, Warrior, Elmo I'm looking in your general direction but this is for everyone.

I'm just curious how long we've all been painting. I'm a bit competitive by nature and seeing some of the fantastic work coming from this group has got my hackles up. ;)  Really its about gauging where I'm going.

I've seen some very talented painters here. Keep up the great work!

I've been painting for a good 20 years, started doing 1/35th WW2 scale models with my dad when I was a kid, then started up with Warhammer in about 1999. Took a hiatus from 2005-2012 and have gotten more serious about painting in the past few years. Some may scoff or laugh at this, but I actually found the Games Workshop How to Paint Citadel Miniatures quite helpful in taking my painting "to the next level" along with the new line of paints.

You can see my work in the links in my signature. I don't have any pics of my earlier work, but I can tell you there's a huge difference. Practice really does help you improve a lot over time.

I first picked up the paint brush over 20 years ago. As it happens I've recently found a Russ from all those aeons ago that I need to repaint to bring back into the fold, perhaps after Blood and Glory is complete? When I get a spare moment I'll post a picture of it tongue.png I've come a long way since then but as Nico said it's purely down to effort. It's only been the last 6 or so years that I've made a decent effort to properly improve and try out new things.

The most important thing is probably the fact I have poor depth perception which unfortunately makes detail work difficult. I've learnt to cope with it as best I can, but as long as I'm always improving that's all that really matters smile.png

I've been at it seriously for the past ten years. There reached a point where there was a huge plateau: I couldn't figure out how to better improve. That's not to mean I'm great, by any stretch of anything. I wasn't improving on models based on my older models' looks. Then, two things happened that, to this day, spook me.

First, you see, I had been painting straight from the pot from the beginning. There was never any space for a palette and I thought I used too much paint when one was in use. Then water was discovered. Where had this magical liquid been?! It's as if this gold came straight from underground or fell from the heavens biggrin.png! After mastering the learning curve of the Citadel Standard Issue Paint Palette (shield version and wavy), doors started to open up.

The second thing that happened was highlighting. What in the Emperor's name were those good for? I'd gotten on well with just completing the model for all those years. Sure, there was always drybrushing, but that didn't leave highlights, no. That left a nice appearance. See the difference? I thought highlights were those garish lines that the 'eavy Metal Team were always putting on every model. Once some sense got knocked into me by my wife, the road of fine and complimentary highlights were started.

EDIT: Grammar...

but as long as I'm always improving that's all that really matters

This is the best comment - always try to improve. It does not have to be a massive increase, just baby steps add up in the end.

Keep trying new techniques and methods. Try new products like weathering powder s or oil paints... just don't be happy with the standard you are at now!

Commissar hat off msn-wink.gif

Cast yourselves far back in time....

1980-87: I started with Airfix/Revell 1:72 vehicles/aircraft and figures at about 12/13 years old and worked up to the high detailed 1:32 model kits by about 1985 using enamel paints.

1987-98: took a break due to job/ different outlook on life and marriage

1998: this is when I started with GW stuff. Bought my son the Empire/Orcs fantasy starter set (I got the orcs and he got the Empire) but I painted them up initially with the left over enamel paint. More and more fantasy models where added including some conversions of Brettonian models and Lizardmen for my other son.

Orcs and Goblins

2005: Due to the lack of local players of WHF I decided to start collecting 40K and initially went for Tau Empire which is still an army I collect and I am ashamed to say still the one I game the most with.

Tau Empire

2005: Started to collect LoTR due to the collectors magazine set. These have now been sold on to pay for my 40k habit.

LotR Dragon

2008: As a change and because of the great deal I bought the AoBR box set to paint up and sell on. I decided to go for DA because of the fluff (who would not like to have a collection of Gothic, dress wearing warrior monks msn-wink.gif) and this was the start of a collection which quickly surpassed my Tau Empire and introduced me to the glorious world of magnets.

Deathwing

Ravenwing

4th Company

Horus Heresy

Around this time my youngest decided that he wanted to collect 40k and as I had these forces, my eldest had Chaos/Daemons and Nids he decided to go for IG (which I got to paint up in the classic Cadia colours)

2013: I decided to start collecting IG as Gue'vesa force for my Tau as I already had 2 squads of Guardsmen using the old GW Approved rule-set which has since been discontinued. After a short while, I saw the Emperors Light and the IG became TRUE to the God Emperor and the rest is history msn-wink.gif

Imperial Guard

What have I learned:

From block colours using enamel paints to block colours using acrylics... shading... highlighting... weathering... oil paints... MAGNETS... conversions... greenstuff... mdf bases...

It feels like I have not stood still. Most models have something different than the previously completed ones and this is good. The schemes have got more complex and I have become quicker. Always push yourself to do better and do not accept a plateau as an end point but as the step towards the next level.

Take advice good and bad. Obviously, like most others, getting positive comments is great for my feelings but occasionally getting a hint for how to improve is great too. Don't be upset when criticisms are given but use them to improve. Most of them are well meant msn-wink.gif

After that small wall of text, just to add, if you need any advice I am only too happy to help out but I do not consider myself perfect (not yet anyway msn-wink.gif)

We had a saying in 2nd ACR. You don't learn nothin' from winning. I want to hear the good and the bad. I can't fix it if I don't know what's broken.

Elmo those Tau are gorgeous and I'd love to meet them on the field. I think they need an introduction to Thunderchild.

I used to do a little painting in the mid nineties but rarely finished a squad.

I put my modelling on hold for years, then I happened to come across some

pics of the Death Korps, I was in love. I went to the local GW store but they

didn't keep them in store and told me about Forgeworld.

The year escapes me but the only unit available set was the Infanry squad 

advancing. That's when I really got started, so about 8 years.

I usually paint a model at a time, given my family commitments I find I

get a couple of models done each week. 

As others have said keep trying new things and you'll improve in both speed

and quality. KBO.

I've been painting for around two years, I was awful for the first year or so (I just filled in the base colours and then put on waaaaaaaay too many black washes) but now I've gotten pretty good.

Er...I got into painting GW models in 1998, same time as Elmo...only without previous experience...some of my early work includes DA tactical marines in DA Green with testors enamel highlights! wacko.png To quote the witch-accusing former newt: "I got bettah!"

/edit/ I haven't repainted the marinesmsn-wink.gif

I painted a couple of squats, genestealers and terminators from Space Hulk, and some undead chaps back in the early 90's. They were awful. In fact, I think I have a "deathwing" terminator laying about somewhere... I might post him for a laugh. Then from '94 I stopped playing/painting due to discovering wine, women and song. Then suddenly, two years ago I started again. So all in all I would say 3-4 years total. With a large gap in the middle.

I've been painting for just under two years now, possibly closer to 18 months. My Tau were a very basic paintjob, straight out of the pot, no highlights, limited shading, pretty lazy, basically. 

About a year ago when I started up the Guard, I decided to try and paint better. GW's Youtube Channel is probably the biggest contributor to my improvement, especially the tutorial on painting camo and basic weathering. Since then, I've practised fairly relentlessly, especially on vehicles. I always try to outdo a previous model with the latest paintjob, try something a little different, just generally work towards improvement. My Guard have come on leaps and bounds as a result, and I'm planning on revisiting older tanks to weather them good and proper later on in the year.

Practise is essential, though. The more you do something, the better you get. It's the little things, being able to wield a brush just that little bit more accurately, getting washes to sit just that little bit more naturally, making weathering and battle damage just a touch more believable. I also find doing alternate side projects can be a real boon. I got better at washes painting up a Legion of Everblight starter set. I practised really dirty weathering with my Chem Dogs. Most of the reason I've been wanting to collect Skirmish forces is so I can try different aesthetics and styles to broaden my range.

Also time spent converting and customising a model during the build can really pay off in little details to flesh out during painting. 

The result has been going from something like this, to something like this, all within the space of seven or eight months.

I've been painting since High School so....thirty years?  I paint pretty well, which in other people's opinion is really good.  Never Golden Daemon/professional quality, but good enough for me.  If I get caught up in a model I'll put a lot of attention into it and make it look great.  Sadly, I've kinda stopped super details like eyes since they're getting more and more difficult to paint.

I really should post up my models to give you folks an idea.

Well said; you're the only person your models need to satisfy :) Also yes you should, we love pictures especially if you have 30 years worth of Guard ;) I've found that, as far as a descriptive term can go, "tabletop standard" is pretty easy to achieve. I'd go as far as to say anyone can surpass it with just effort alone - if that's not a good excuse to get painting I don't know what is :P

Getting close on to painting for 10 years now, after an awfully long break.

Started with WFB skaven. I love the little ratty gits, but I could only paint so many 2 point slave models before I broke down. Dry brushing fur still gives me the sweats.

Then started 40K and been painting models on round bases ever since. My painting has improved over the years but I've always been quite a slow painter. 

My guard has been a deliberate attempt at a more basic, quicker scheme. Starting the plog has been a great motivator and the feedback has been really useful.

High point for my painting: painting up Vulkan and Ghazkull as the decorations for a wedding cake for some friends. Ghaz all in white :)

I started painting in the early 90's as a child. There's been some horrific paint jobs from early on. I've been intermittently painting ever since. I reckon I hit my best late 90's early 00's and then due to lack of practice I've ended up back to being an ok table top painter. I'm really wanting to push myself back to being as good as I can and then takinging it up a level.

That's what I'm currently doing. ;)

Only really started painting "properly" about 6 years ago when I returned to the hobby after a 15+ years absence. By "properly" I mean by thinking about making the model look as good as possible rather than just slapping paint on to get it on the board.

Back to the OP I've found as have many others its all about practice. I'v bought the  GW painting book and looked at how to guides in WD and all the models posted on this board. Then attempted to apply the techniques to my models with varying degrees of success. 

Archived