A poll for all the painters

Chefzilla

What brushes do people use? my old GW ones are dying and looking at replacement. Are GW ones good enough or are there others better or as good as for the same money or cheaper?

Hey Scat - for me it's always been GW - since 94 ish when I first started painting and modelling - even when I strayed from GW into histroical and other games. I think it's because in my head I have a role for each brush - base coat with standard, damp brush with small dry, layer with detail and so on.

Recently though I've started using army painter brushes and the big difference is in the point - they hold so well - and the angled tip of the army painter dry brush is great when you want to edge armour plates without catching surrounding raised detail - here's a pic from their site - funny when i mentioned it to my artsist wife she looked at me like i just got off the boat then decided to give me a tour of her 50+ brush collection - <carraig-educated lol>

I use GW, but I hit up a local art supplies store and got some brushes from there. They do ones with finer tips than GW that also seem to hold the tip much better, they've been essential for teeny, tiny detailing.

You can order them direct from the site and they will international post. There was a thread about brushes a while ago and I contacted them to check out costs for those the other side of the pond. Seemed fairly cheap especially if you were getting a few.

Think the thread was reg Windsor n Newton brushes initially.

As promised, here is an example of when I first started out many moons ago:

gallery_30308_10604_25102.jpg

This model is likely older than some of our comrades! :P I've decided to finally get my own hobby blog so you can track my progress on it, I'm going to do my best on this so it will be a great example of before and after so I'll be able to see just how far I've come :)

What brushes do people use? my old GW ones are dying and looking at replacement. Are GW ones good enough or are there others better or as good as for the same money or cheaper?

I use a mixture of Army painter drybrushes, Kolinsky Sable Brushes, Acrylic brushes from an art store (not sure of the brand) and 1 GW brush for very rough work.

With all these I still am not able to advise you on which one would be the best (definitely not the GW one for price or quality). 

It is almost as important to properly look after the brushes that you do have as is to buy an expensive brush in the first place.

Speaking of brushes, my wife went out and did something behind my back today. We were talking about how old my brushes I use now are and, on her own initiative, she went to the GW website and ordered a whole set of them for Saint George's Day (the only holiday I support).

As most of you are aware, I was going to improve my game and upgrade to Rose and Co or something similar. Even though those are out of the question now, it doesn't matter. My gift she got me couldn't equal the finest sable brushes in the world!

Just had to share that.

Kolinsky sable...generally #1 round, but I have a couple of #2s, as well.  List price on those is generally over $30, but there are online vendors who sell them for around $15.  I supplement those with really cheap ones that I beat up to use for drybrushing and ~$3 ones that I use to slap on bulk paint (like undercoating an entire regiment of skellies at once...), saving the $$$ brushes for the detail work.  

Generally, anything you buy that costs the same as or slightly less than a GW brush is going to be better...GW claims Kolinsky sable, but at $7 a brush (less than 1/3 the price of the nearest competitor) from a company that gets $5 each for $.30 worth of plastic miniatures?  Gotta raise the Fraud Flag... Before I started using real Kolinsky, the $5 brushes from Michaels did better work and lasted longer, as compared to GW brushes...

/edit/

I've used W&N, Raphael, and Da Vinci kolinskies...not Rosemary, but I head good things about those, too.  I like Raphael series 8404 and W&N series 7, didn't like DV.

Archived