Bring it down! Facing down knight titans in 30k

Brofist

With more people playing '30k in 40k' and FW creating the new Questoris Knight army list, Knight Titans are more frequently facing off against 30k armies on the tabletop. How are you dealing with with one, two, or an entire adamantine lance of knights? 

Take two Deredeos and have them on opposite sides of the thing.

Or take a ten man squad of culverins and get misfortune on it :P (I can tell you right now it's been done, damn things were able to get my spartan too).

If you can't beat em, join em and get a knight lancer to take them out. I mean they are pretty squishy at max AV13.

Venators too can trollolol them.

My WW Scorpius has a kill on a Paladin.  The large size of the Knight base makes it really difficult to miss, and it's pretty much an automatic multi-angle threat - the Knight usually wants to stay front-on to your army, but the Scorp will make them have to worry about their side armor regardless of where they are or how they're positioned.

I also favor terminators with combimeltas.  That started out because I was having really bad luck with combiplasmas (killing more of my own guys with overheats and failed saves than I was actually killing with the plasma shots), but it works great at killing enemy terminators (especially 2W wounds), knights, Contemptors, etc.

Course, no guarantee that the terminators won't die in the explosion when they melta the knight.  Five terminators for one IKT is still a good trade in my book.

Recently played a game that included a normal knight, one on its own I was able to deal with handily thanks to a seoge breaker and 9xmissile launcher Bros support squad. Along with a Medusa and some fire from my kheres contemptors. Indirect or fast flanking AT I think is essential to have in your mix somewhere.

Some kind of baller terminator thunderhammer death star might help for big games to put down knights who get stuck into things you can't sacrifice.

I think the struggle would get exponentially worse as more knights are added. They'll all be threatening turn two charging and you only have so much pew pew. All it takes is a lucky bout of saves on turn 1 or two and you're in trouble.

It was only a 2k game, but I had a ten man tactical squad bubble wrap/ speed bump and that helped restrict the knights options. So I'll consider more chaff in bigger games for this purpose. (I have traitor militia aplenty to ally in for this lovely task, plus they bring more medusas).

I feel a lightning might be a decent option. It’s fragile and expensive, but it can also deepstrike turn 2, giving it a good chance of shooting the rear armor of a knight when it drops down. 

Outfitted with x2 twin autocanons in addition to the lascanon + tank hunters gives it about 7 glances against rear armor even without the BS5 upgrade. If it survives. Not bad for about 200 points and leaves the front armor undefended against your high strength frontal shooting. If they save half those glances, it’ll need just a few frontal hits to take it down.

The only way to combat multiple knights is to either bring warhound titans or other knights. Breachers with meltabombs can hold the line quite well, but that's the limit of "viable" options against them. Their critical mass is disgustingly good, and have no real weakness beyond flyers, which can be gunned down by an interceptor skyfire tank hunter knight.

They are too cost efficient and have too much destructive potential to be matched by current heresy options.

Edited by Wolf_Pack

Deep Strikers. Have a pair of units with Meltas or Combi-meltas. All armies can do Orbital Assault or throw a unit in an Anvillus or Storm Eagle or Caestus which can deep strike and have the infantry jump out), but the armies which get the best return out of them are Alpha Legion (they can get Tank Hunters, and Armillus Dynat for +1 to damage rolls if they're in the enemy deployment and Deep Strike), Imperial Fists, (who get Teleport Transponders and Polux), Sons of Horus who get the Black Reaving for Justaerin, Abaddon, or even if you feel like being overkill, Abaddon), Night Lords (who also get Teleport Transponders) and Raven Guard (tactical support and seeker squads in drop pods). 

Dropping in, then turning around and putting a half dozen melta shots up their backside combined with other types of shooting to drip off the odd hull points (Graviton Rapiers, or Storm Eagle MM/Lascannons etc).

Of course, they do have their shield, which is why you drop on opposite sides, and leave one flank unshielded. Terminators have the benefit of Chainfists as well. Thanks to the point taxes, it costs more than what you're dropping on (210 per Meltasupport squad, 225 for Combi-Melta Terminators, 275 for Chainfists on top of that), but they have a wide range of targets outside of just Knights.

What about the solar auxilla command squad that can take a bunch of haywire shots from their grenade launchers?

2. And you are limited to 2 Maximum Squads

Instead, take Enginseers. They have up to 8 and 3 Graviton Guns (but are heavy on the latter), and you can take 4. I love them, only downside is you can't take as many Rapiers or Elite Veletaris who are really damn good when combined with an allied Forge Lord Legionary army (Rad Grenades and WS5 Power Axes) and Lord Marshal with all of the counter charging buffs they have like their Shroud Bombs or Grav Wave Generators.

What about the solar auxilla command squad that can take a bunch of haywire shots from their grenade launchers?

2. And you are limited to 2 Maximum Squads

Instead, take Enginseers. They have up to 8 and 3 Graviton Guns (but are heavy on the latter), and you can take 4. I love them, only downside is you can't take as many Rapiers or Elite Veletaris who are really damn good when combined with an allied Forge Lord Legionary army (Rad Grenades and WS5 Power Axes) and Lord Marshal with all of the counter charging buffs they have like their Shroud Bombs or Grav Wave Generators.

Ah that's who I was thinking of.

Graviton guns on non-relentless fast moving platforms are useless against knights.

Drop pods will require more drop pods to guarantee a enough turn 1 landings, which really doesn't work in large scale games (where knights get out of control) as you need get a 2 tactical or breacher squad tax. And if they are allied with mechanicum, Castellax will mop up any power armoured unit at 10 man strenght.

Termies can't catch them unless they choose to engage you after you deepstrike. You need transports to corner them off.

Do the legions list themselves have access to haywire guns? Knights hate those. Looking at the legions they all have a varying suspectibilty to knights. For example a reaping row death guard list can handle knights a lot better than say a terror assualt night lords list. Knights are all basically Death Stars and the typical legion list is one Death Stars love. Legion list penalize msu, the best way to kill knights. The 20 man tactical squad is a knights wet dream. The only anti tanks it's got is one the seargent who can have melta bombs. Also unlike 40k marines the knight who will win can sweep the squad if he doesn't stomp them first. For a legion list I think going with maybe a veteran themed force maybe good. Have them with tank hunters and melta guns and then have them run in rhinos. Fast attack could be maybe a lightning with missles or land speeders. Also artillery everywhere. The shatter shield thudd gun and the medusa are great for this. Thanks to how artillery works they always bypass the knights shields. Taking the venator might help. Also does mechanicum have anything to help against knights? And if none of that works well follow the saying "if you can't be them join them" buy a knight yourself.

We do have access to haywire: Graviton Guns. Problem is, theyre a Heavy Weapon and 18" range and the only ones who can take em en masse are Tac Support Squad.

Theres also the Graviton Cannon but, so far, thats only on a Rapier Platform.

The Primaris-Lightning also has Haywire bombs but compared to the Kraken Penetrator it isn't as potent.

And me and Wolf_Pack had a pretty jarring experience with Knights in our Campaign where we were almost a full 1k points over the Mechanicum Player but just because he had 4 Knights, he destroyed us utterly. The biggest kicker was the Spartan getting insta-gibbed by a 6 on a Stomp that was placed 3" back from the 1st stomp (stupid STUPID rule the placement for stomps..)

Biggest highlight, though, was almost getting a 2-for-1 with an Exploding Knight Errant almost killing his Knight Castigator (brought it down to 1HP) with the last shot of our side who could hurt knights.

Mechanicum have an raiser time against knights and make for good allies. Fearless thrall blobs can tie up non Castigator s. Secutors can take grav in spades. Krios venators are brutal. Even tank hunter thallax with multimeltas for multi angle approaches. 

if you know you're facing knights you can prepare. Even deep striking lightnings will do some work. 

It's the unexpected knights that are the most worrisome. Then i think so long as you can get AT from two separate, or throw in good barrage,  angles one can manage a knight or two. 

We do have access to haywire: Graviton Guns. Problem is, theyre a Heavy Weapon and 18" range and the only ones who can take em en masse are Tac Support Squad.

Theres also the Graviton Cannon but, so far, thats only on a Rapier Platform.

The Primaris-Lightning also has Haywire bombs but compared to the Kraken Penetrator it isn't as potent.

And me and Wolf_Pack had a pretty jarring experience with Knights in our Campaign where we were almost a full 1k points over the Mechanicum Player but just because he had 4 Knights, he destroyed us utterly. The biggest kicker was the Spartan getting insta-gibbed by a 6 on a Stomp that was placed 3" back from the 1st stomp (stupid STUPID rule the placement for stomps..)

Biggest highlight, though, was almost getting a 2-for-1 with an Exploding Knight Errant almost killing his Knight Castigator (brought it down to 1HP) with the last shot of our side who could hurt knights.

Land Speeders and Dreads have them too, and can Deep Strike. Land Speeders bring the most available. (5). You can then Jink if you wish with the speeders against the return fire.