A crazy idea that just might work? Astral Claws primogenitor

depthcharge12

So... putting some ideas down on paper, this is where my thoughts are going. Warning: Incoming wall of text.  But, I'll admit that I am taking some liberties with multiple different elements, so I will yield to the judgement of their original creators

The Abyssal Lions/Void Claws/ Vorpal Claws (hell, Ghost Razors would make a good chapter name as well) are a respected Dreadwing (if I remember correctly, the Dreadwing are the naval combat experts of the DA Legion) cohort under the command of Strike/Wing Commander *Not-Huron.  During the great crusade, they serve along side as a notable under the Lion. (I'd imagine they would wear the Terran Black as opposed to the Caliban Green). Considering their commander's penchant for terminator assaults and zone mortalis... they gain a reputation as boarders and shock troops bested only by the Phalanx Warders of the Imperial Fists and the Justerin of the Luna Wolves.

During the Siege of Madrigal, this cohort is part of blockade/siege of Madrigal.  Since Forge Master is handling that campaign, I'll suggest that this cohort play a key role in breaking or containing the Lightning Bearers at the edge of the system.  Perhaps it is this cohort that successfully intercepts Arthawes as he attempts his final mission, but a key point for this cohort is that Legion Master (rank pending) Katarius, the legendary Terran commander of the II Legio, manages to break away from Madrigal by going through depthcharge's cohort.  That breakout becomes the one stain on this cohort's honor.

Post siege, the *Not-Huron becomes obsessed about Katarius and his fate. Enough so that he petitions that his cohort be sent on a mission to hunt them down, no matter where they may hide (borrowing from the 13th great company of wolves here).  Due to their record, the Lion agrees (perhaps to the surprise of others or not, the Lion wasn't very good about sharing his reasons with anyone).  This respected cohort leaves, but never returns.  Presumably they A. fail in their mission, or B. succeed, but die in the attempt. Regardless, efforts to track them down never materialize, as the heresy kicks off.

Fast forward to the tenth founding... the Astral Claws are given partial heraldry from this lost Cohort of the Dark Angels legion. (much like the Marines Malevolent, Executioners, and other chapters take heraldry from legion units, but were not part of the 2nd founding). They learn about their history, as well as their mysterious disappearance.  It becomes a bit of a chapter mystery that plagues the Astral Claws (and their successors) for generations.  Perhaps at some point, the Astral Claws (or Tiger Claws) succeed in finding the ruined remains of that Dreadwing battlebarge (perhaps the ship shares the name Seraph of Judgement which was the flagship of the Astral Claws during the Badab war) and with it an archeotech example of a lighting claw.

Regarding your flare shield idea... what if you took a page out of Dorn's playbook (literally in this case) and have your commander have a designated transport?  Say, a flare shield on the cestus ram that took *not Huron and his terminator command squad into battle?

Thoughts?  Are their any objections from Arathwes, ForgeMaster, and co?

This is all just super awesome. I just wanted to drop by and point out another cool aspect of the Astral Claws being descended from the 1st Legion that I'd never considered...

Remember how the guy who melted the majority of Huron was part of the Star Phantoms? And the Star Phantoms are strongly hinted as being descended from the 1st Legion's Dreadwing? If the primogenitors of the Astral Claws were from the same Legion it'd be pretty ironic if the officer who started the Star Phantoms was a good comrade of the one who started the Astral Claws or something. Like some kind of poetic justice, crippling Huron ten millenia later for betraying an old friendship (without even knowing it?) at the very end of the Badab War. Like they hunted a "new" member of the Fallen without even being aware of it or involved with the Unforgiven anymore :P 

This is all just super awesome. I just wanted to drop by and point out another cool aspect of the Astral Claws being descended from the 1st Legion that I'd never considered...

Remember how the guy who melted the majority of Huron was part of the Star Phantoms? And the Star Phantoms are strongly hinted as being descended from the 1st Legion's Dreadwing? If the primogenitors of the Astral Claws were from the same Legion it'd be pretty ironic if the officer who started the Star Phantoms was a good comrade of the one who started the Astral Claws or something. Like some kind of poetic justice, crippling Huron ten millenia later for betraying an old friendship (without even knowing it?) at the very end of the Badab War. Like they hunted a "new" member of the Fallen without even being aware of it or involved with the Unforgiven anymore :P

It's what I was thinking too...it's like 30k-ception.

A story within a story within a story. I believe the Dreadwing have the same skull in hourglass symbol that the Dreadwing have, yet for some reason, it sounds like the most bad:cuss wing in the whole legion.

Maybe the Vorpal Abyssal Claw Lions are a rival chapter within the Dreadwing from the Star Phantoms...

Depthcharge, I really like what you are doing here and I think that both I and the Forgemasters fully support it. 

On that note, we are currently in the process of finalizing the official outline of the Legion's death, Maelstrom war and the siege of Madrigal. But it is a little overwhelming and we could always use some more input. Would it be beneficial to your project for me and Coldwinter to create a thread (Either here or in special projects) where a group of us can discuss/debate and eventually finalize the destruction of the II Legion?

Of course, at the end of the day you are always welcome to ignore what we come up with and craft whatever lore for you Chapter and their role in the siege that you want. But I think it would be cool (since this is something you are interested in) if everything lines up.

Depthcharge, I really like what you are doing here and I think that both I and the Forgemasters fully support it. 

On that note, we are currently in the process of finalizing the official outline of the Legion's death, Maelstrom war and the siege of Madrigal. But it is a little overwhelming and we could always use some more input. Would it be beneficial to your project for me and Coldwinter to create a thread (Either here or in special projects) where a group of us can discuss/debate and eventually finalize the destruction of the II Legion?

Of course, at the end of the day you are always welcome to ignore what we come up with and craft whatever lore for you Chapter and their role in the siege that you want. But I think it would be cool (since this is something you are interested in) if everything lines up.

"No! I want my ownahsjdhdhdjdhfhfjfjfj"

*BLAM*

Of course this hobbyist would love that idea. In no way shape or form was this user Blam'd by an inner circle member. Let us- I mean me, ChargDepth21, know when you open that thread up and what your thoughts are.

I look forward to this project! Have a nice purge- I mean day!!!

Signed,

Chargedepth21, definitely not an Inner Circle member.

Well, Blood Angels = Lamenters, so that's covered.
You've got the Claws.
I'm aiming for Minotaurs (the loyalist remnants of the Berserkers becoming the Minotaurs, that is)
Hesh is crossing fingers for Mantises.

Let's party.

*BLAM*

Of course this hobbyist would love that idea. In no way shape or form was this user Blam'd by an inner circle member. Let us- I mean me, ChargDepth21, know when you open that thread up and what your thoughts are.

Signed,

What?

So much confused...

Remember how the guy who melted the majority of Huron was part of the Star Phantoms? And the Star Phantoms are strongly hinted as being descended from the 1st Legion's Dreadwing? If the primogenitors of the Astral Claws were from the same Legion it'd be pretty ironic if the officer who started the Star Phantoms was a good comrade of the one who started the Astral Claws or something. Like some kind of poetic justice, crippling Huron ten millenia later for betraying an old friendship (without even knowing it?) at the very end of the Badab War. Like they hunted a "new" member of the Fallen without even being aware of it or involved with the Unforgiven anymore tongue.png

It's what I was thinking too...it's like 30k-ception.

A story within a story within a story. I believe the Dreadwing have the same skull in hourglass symbol that the Dreadwing have, yet for some reason, it sounds like the most bad:cuss wing in the whole legion.

Maybe the Vorpal Abyssal Claw Lions are a rival chapter within the Dreadwing from the Star Phantoms...

I like where this is going. I hadn't considered a Star Phantoms connection, but since they are the Dreadwing symbol holder as we know it (or until Alan Bligh graces us with a DA book to prove us wrong).

Arthawes: I would gladly work alongside you and Forge Master. I just never thought I'd come up with anything note worthy.

*BLAM*

Signed,

What?

So much confused...

Lol don't worry.

I'd love to join the project with what seems to be like more people than expected :D did you want a separate thread or this one?

Btw, I'm coming up with my opening scene atm....

Well the way I look at it, you need two separate threads. One about brainstorming ideas for your Chapter, and then a separate one for the History of the Campaign. A campaign history thread is what I'm talking about creating just to hammer out the final details before the Forge masters put the whole history into writing. 

So, I'd say keep this thread devoted to your chapter history/brainstorming and then use the one I make for siege of madrigal Ideas that don't pertain solely to your Character and Chapter. 

I'm trying to figure out where that thread would belong, Here, In the Liber, or under special Projects.

Prologue

Time, Terran side real ++unknown...causation: warp flux++ 

Tranquility.

The world embodied that principle.

A quiet world that seemed in balance with its cosmic and physical humors. Verdant archipelagos dotted with volcanic ridges populated an azure world of wonder.

But this was not to be.

Burning, choking smoke watered my eyes as familiar shapes rose from the wreckage of communal dojos that once erected to the sky in hope. My bolter snapped up to find a target cradled between the masterfully wrought sights. Distance 100 meters? No. Distance 200 meters? Yes, adjust elevation 2 clicks. Through the slits of his helmet I could see his eyes narrowing at me as my finger caressed the trigger like a lover's touch and...

The battle cruiser lurched and groaned under extreme force as Calenhad awoke in a sweat on his cabin rack, rivets creaking to near breaking point as wisps of the warp dripped off of it like an emerging aquatic mammal breaching the waterline.

+....target 100 meters, adjust sight for windage....target 200 meters, adjust elevation one click...crosswinds adju-+

Calenhad swung his legs off of the rack and shot the cabin vox with glance that could have bored a hole through adamantium.

"Damnation. Nearly a veteran of 100 years of service and they still broadcast that garbage while I sleep!"

Bearing many scars and service tattoos that would soon be covered by armor, the large astartes trudged over to the sink in his cabin. Unlike many of his brethren, Calenhad held a position of leadership within his legion that marked him out as deserving of some personal affects. He deluged his face with a handful of water and stared at a mirror that watched him with two very familiar slate grey eyes flecked with forest green.

It was said in the southern part  of Terra that Calenhad came from that grey eyes marked out men who became proficient marksmen, deadly and unerring in their aim...

I sat in plasteel chair outside of The Old Man's office, though we would never call him that in front of him. I awaited a meeting with him like the Judged awaiting the hangman's noose. He was tough, brutal even, but commanded our respect. I guess I would never expect less from a man selected by the Emperor to train what he was calling "The Adeptus Astartes."

My muscles ached from all the training, but I had little time to think on them as another boy my age departed the office visibly shaken, yet somewhat relieved.

Calenhad walked down one of the outer arteries of the ship on the way to the loading bay. Reminiscing was always hard for him, but something about warp jumps always jogged his memory in ways he could not understand. Peering out one of the glass viewports along the artery, a reflection of those-

Two grey eyes leered at me over the billowing smoke arising from some smoldering tabac in a cigar holder. I stood at attention in front of his mahogany desk, fearing the worst, hoping the best.

"Well boy, do you know what you're in here for today?" The Old Man rumbled like a volcano, spewing hot ash into the air.

"N-No sir, I don't. Did I need to do anything for my compan-"

"HAVE A BACKBONE BOY!" He bellowed, "you're near the top of your class and nearly done with your training! Stand tall and be proud for once before I install some more training via the back of my hand!!!"

"YES sir!" I yelled jutting out my chin and puffing out my chest.

"Hmm let's see...class ranking," shuffling his papers around like loading a magazine, he found the one he was seeking.

"Close combat training...second. 

"Marksmanship...first.

"Leadership and protocols...first.

"Overall physical fitness in comparison...third...third....THE HELL IS THAT?!" he exploded, chucking the paper at my face.

"Aspirant 0036 class delta, company chi," The Old Man went on reading my summary, "shows an aptitude for leadership and is very charismatic with the other recruits. Possessing what could be natural skill from his...background...the aspirant ranks within the top two tiers of his training company. He is, however, very stubborn in his methodology and seeks to chase down a different path during exercises when he knows another method would be easier. 0036 has completed Indoc and basic training, leading the evaluation team to believe he is ready to advance to the next stages in becoming and Astartes."

I found myself gripping the Old Man's iron hold in a handshake and looking into his slate grey eyes set like stones in a rockwall that was his face.

"Good job son. Make me proud."

Tears welled in my eyes, but he stopped me before leaving his office.

"And take care of your brother too if he makes it, or your mother will never forgive me."

Well the way I look at it, you need two separate threads. One about brainstorming ideas for your Chapter, and then a separate one for the History of the Campaign. A campaign history thread is what I'm talking about creating just to hammer out the final details before the Forge masters put the whole history into writing. 

So, I'd say keep this thread devoted to your chapter history/brainstorming and then use the one I make for siege of madrigal Ideas that don't pertain solely to your Character and Chapter. 

I'm trying to figure out where that thread would belong, Here, In the Liber, or under special Projects.

Lol I don't want to have it disappear into the wormhole of the "other forums" :P haha

I'm planning some WIPs, so maybe I'll make a separate thread.

Any luck settling on a Name for the Cohort? It seems like you got a name for *not Huron.

I put up Calenhad, but I was thinking of Letho instead.

It's seems less knighty and more sinister.

Part two will be up in a second.

Sorry for the wall of text guys teehee.gif I am just trying to make the initial fluff and background for my main character: Strike Commander Calenhad, Master of the Cataphracts.

Part 2

I left the officers building and walked across the parade ground on my way to the waiting dropship to take me off planet. Jogging in formation around it was a group of younger aspirants, company Omega by the patches on their fatigues. A young boy with short cropped sandy blonde hair saw me and waved before being aggressively set upon by trainers armed with electro batons for breaking stride. I wanted to wave back to my younger brother, but knew I would see him again soon.

Steam billowed over the dropship, awaiting like an apex feline predator about to pounce as it awaited me. A few of my other training company mates were onboard already...their fatigues washed in the green lights of the plane's interior. Though the blackness creeped over the trainees as the hatch closed, I could not fail to make out the numeral I on their shoulders.

Calenhad reached the arming bay as his memory faded, his armored boots clicking on the deck and drawing some glances from some of his brothers as they set to weapon maintenance protocols and rearmament.

Over in the corner, he caught a few of the words being spoken between a chaplain and a member of the Adeptus Mechanicus as they awoke one of the Legion's ancients from slumber.

"...and with the blessing of the Omnissiah, we anoint this miracle of man-made-machine and humbly ask him to rise for battle once more," spoke the red robed Martian priest, "For the Flesh is Weak..."

"And the Spirit is willing," ended the sable armored chaplain. He ended by making a Sign of the Sword towards the contemptor armored warrior, making the cross-hilt and pommel-to-tip with his hand.

Calenhad walked between the two priests and read "Kaedwen" on the armorwork scroll etched on the contemptor's body. He patted the flank of the dreadnought in a fashion not too dissimilar to ruffling a friend's hair, while the ancient recognized him with it's glowing red sensors.

++Greetings Chaplain Loghain and Honored Lucan.++ The dreadnought nodded towards the two figures before him before peering down at Calenhad.

++And salutations to you as well...older brother. Is it time then?++

"Yes brother. It is indeed time."

Calenhad looked around the arming chamber as his brothers began to stand at attention. They were arrayed in their obsidian colored armor with the winged sword of the first legion and marked with the clenched Lion's paw of their chapter, the Vorpal Claws.

"Brothers of the First, Sons of the Lion, warriors of the Circle! I will not waste time on pleasantries as you all know of the task we head to face!"

Calenhad addressed the entire room, looking to each one of the knight-brothers in front of him, "We will not be alone in this endeavor. Legions are being pulled from all over the galaxy from the Great Crusade, yet we will not let them take our share of honor in defeating this scum that has plagued us even at our inception."

The men cheered and rose their weapons in affirmation of the task they were about to embark on.

"However, there will be no glory in doing so. While we may take pride in our work, these foes were once called brothers, and fought alongside us whether we liked it or not. Know that in doing your mission, you will never be thanked, never recognized for this conflict, and never remembered for spilling blood in this system. You will carry this burden in your hearts to your dying day, and may the Emperor find forgiveness for us, for we shall have none for our enemy."

"Ready yourselves for combat men....we are nearly at Madrigal."

Are you going to do any rules for brother Kaedwen or Chaplain Loghain?

I don't have anything special planned, Kaedwen is just a dread with a plasma cannon and a DCCW at the moment but I'm open to suggestions!

Chaplain Loghain might be throwing some people under the bus later in the story....;)

I personally like the name Letho. Not sure if you've played the Witcher 2 game, but if you haven't do a search with that name and the game title. If you have played the game, I think you should give him a very large sword as his primary weapon. msn-wink.gif

Also the fluff is fantastic.

I personally like the name Letho. Not sure if you've played the Witcher 2 game, but if you haven't do a search with that name and the game title. If you have played the game, I think you should give him a very large sword as his primary weapon. msn-wink.gif

Also the fluff is fantastic.

Yeah half of the names I have I jacked from either the Witcher or Dragon Age origins. They both have really good medieval names that don't sound goofy.

And what's not to like about a muscled, bald assassin who wields a claymore? He's pretty BA and his Viper cult is pretty sweet. (Here's hopes to the Witcher 3 being nearly as good as skyrim!). It's funny to note that the Witcher is Poland's biggest export besides vodka :P the game was so famous that the Polish president gave Obama a copy lol

I've always had in the back of my mind a contemptor that was the little brother of an older Terran veteran. It had some sort of delicious humor in it.

Out of curiosity, has the "Siege of Madrigal" campaign thread been created?  I haven't seen it as of yet. 

Can anyone shoot my a few ideas as toward how I should give rules for Calenhad?

This is what I have so far -

Ser Calenhad, Strike Commander of the "Vorpal Claws" Chapter, Dreadwing

WS6 BS5 S4 T4 W4 A4 I6 LD10 SV2+

Wargear:

Indomitus armor

Iron halo

Lion's claw*

Digital weapons

Tartarus pattern cannonade**

*Lion's claw

S: user AP2 Ghost razor, shred

**Tartarus pattern cannonade

This weapon was created by a lesser known Forgeworld for the first legion upon rediscovery to honor their reuniting with Terra. The cannonade uses a rotary loading system to feed low yield plasma cells into the firing chamber.

Though not as strong or powerful as a standard issue plasma gun, it brings less risk and converts excess energy into a blinding light, dazzling enemies that it does not kill. This weapon, though experimental, found much use in the hands of [name here] for regular boarding duties and zone mortalis situations.

Range: template S5 AP3 blind

Also proposed was a champion/paladin of the chapter (thanks Blackoption)

WS7 BS4 S4 T4 I5 W3 A4 LD9 3+ sv

Wargear:

Power/Artificer Armor

Golden Fang: +2 S power sword that gives Rage (two handed weapon?)

Volkite charger

Combat shield

Cyberfamiliar/fast reflexes (representing either psyker or technical affinity and a +1 invul sav)

What are your thoughts? I was thinking of using one or the other in some upcoming games against Athrawes (I ordered my Huron model, so waiting for that to convert)

Edit: maybe should I switch out the cyber familiar for my proposed infantry flare shield relic?

Archived