The Corpse of Tempest Fall: True Scale Project Log

Luna707

I have started a true scale first founding chapter that originated from the Ultramarines but plays with the new blood angel codex. I have a whole lore to the chapter but I won't get into that yet, I just wanted to post some work in process photos and see what you guys think. I am not quite good at this whole modeling thing as I am rather new at it, but I am quite happy with what I have made so far! I am at university right now (biochemistry major) so I can't model too much so I won't be updating this often unfortunately. I am definitely not sure if I am using this website right either.

I really like my power fist, I tried to punch a big hole in the middle then add some paperclip bits to the inside to make it look like the supports to the pauldron. The Cauldron itself is a made from a cast of a dreadnought knee pad thing that I made. 

So this is my first set of "count as" sanguinary guard! I have another that I am trying to paint and I will post a picture of that too. There will be 15 sanguinary guard in total then I will be moving on to some "count as" death company marines made from FW cataphractii terminators. Also I will be converting the FW Angry Ron primarch model into a terminator character that I have come up with. I hope you like all of this crazy stuff!

Nice start and good conversion effort. But something does not want to go into my head. When you are a ulzramarine chapter....why the really heavy use of blood angel stuff? I mean what is the story behind sanguinary guard and especially death company in a not blood angel way. Would be very interesting.

Besides that: Nice work and show us more ;)

Well to answer your question here's the short version of it:Shortly after the dramatic conclusion of the horus heresy and the second founding, the first four companies of this chapter (haven't made a chapter name I like yet) along with a small contingent of blood angels and other imperial assets disappeared into the warp for over 7,000 years. During this time they lived through quite a hellish experience at the hands of various warp entities and their tactics in battle began to reflect that. When the group finally exited the warp, only a few dozen soldiers remained but those that did were rather exceptional in their prowess for warfare. The blood angel iconography is mostly a result of the rushed combination of different armor marks to make usable suits from the continual battle in the warp as well as mementos of their fallen blood angel brothers that had perished during this time. I am making this force to reflect the chapter's state directly after they had exited the warp which is why I used the blood angel codex so as to emphasize the favoring of close ranged tactics over a balanced Ultramarine approach and the reason I am making count as sanguinary guard and death company (some grey knights as well in a second detachment) is to show how elite this small force had become through their trial by fire. Just before 'contemporary' 40k the chapter is almost wholly destroyed in an attempt to banish a ton of demons to the warp. All that is left of them now is 12 dreadnoughts aboard a single ship that sometimes aids crusading black templar contingents. Thanks for the interest! Oh and I have a typo in my title, it should say second founding but oh well I have no idea of how to change it.

• 2 weeks later...

I love how your have converted the model the way you are. Everytime I see someone cutting a model up I cant help but get that pain and ache all over my body. As expensive as the hobby has been for me so far I couldnt imagine doing taht to a kit. Not even close to tryinng it on my own. Been doing the hobby side of this for two months and its a blast but man is it costly. But then again so is everything else. lol

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

IMG 6757

IMG 6756

Newest Member of the squad

IMG 6737

All of them with a normal heroic scale marine for scale

IMG 6760

IMG 6741

The whole gang!

I have the sergeant to go and some bips and bobs to add to the existing squad like their jump packs and some brooch shield things then I will be moving on to the second squad of count as sanguinary guard

Thanks for the views and comments guys! I have some wings laying around from the san guard kit and I was thinking of adding them but I am still not sure, I kind of want them to look battle worn and the wings may detract from that. Questions and comments are welcome!

The follow is the list that I have constructed to represent my chapter, The Tempest's Sons, after they exited the warp. It consists of the remainders of the Tempest Sons 1st, 2nd, 3rd, and 6th companies, and the remnants of both the solar auxilia and the Blood Angels contingents that disappeared on the same mission.

Blood Angels Codex (1791 points)

+Lord of War (220 points)

Dante
        Will count as the chapter master for the Tempest Sons. I am very excited to model him, he will be based off of the Forgeworld Praetor model.

+HQ (91 points)

Sanguinary Priest 
        Jump pack, special blood angels sword (forgot the name), and bolt pistol
        This model will represent the last Blood Angel in the contingent and the only one to survive the endeavor.

+Troops (140)

Scouts 
        x5, camo cloaks, and sniper rifles 

Scouts 
        x5, camo cloaks, and sniper rifles 

These will be converted from the Forgeworld Solar Auxilia models and will count as space marine scouts rules wise but will represent the only Solar Auxilia to survive. They were stored in stasis several times during the battles in the warp so they would not willingly succumb to the powers of oblivion and defile their honor. 

+Elites (955 points)

Sanguinary Guard
        x10, x2 inferno pistols, 1x fist, banner, assorted swords and axes

Sanguinary Guard 
        x5, x1 inferno pistol, 1x fist, death masks, assorted swords and axes

Death Company
        x8, x5 power weapons

Furioso 
        Frag cannon, magna grapple, extra armor 

Instead of being Blood Angels, these models will represent the remnants of the 4 Tempest Sons companies that originally entered the warp.

+Heavy Support (385)

Vindicator 
        Storm bolter, overcharged engines 

Land Raider God Hammer

Grey Knights Codex (689)

+HQ (175 points)

Brother Captain
        Hammer, Cuirass of Sacrifice 

This Brother captain will represent Ol'Victyrion, an ancient warrior that served as the advisor for the chapter master of the Tempest Sons ever since the young leader was initiated into the Ultramarines legion. He is incredibly mysterious and his actions are steeped in the traditions of his native tribe. His enigmatic composure and tendency to hide his face around officials of the Empire has created many rumors one of which being that he is actually a surviving Thunder Warrior but these rumors have never been confirmed. 

I am planning to create Ol'Victyrion by melding the Forgeworld Angron model with heavily converted Cataphracti terminator parts. 

+Elites (264 points)

Paladins 
        x4 paladins, 2x hammers, 2x glaives, apothecary 

I will be constructing Ol'Victyrion's infamous "Stone Men" from true-scale converted cataphractii terminators that will count as Paladins rule wise. 

+Heavy Support (250 points)

Land Raider God Hammer

​So this is obviously not a competitive list, but it is very fluff inspired from the stuff that I have come up with. It also may unbound, at least in part, with the count as Grey Knights not having any troop choices. The Tempest Sons favor an "armored spearhead" kind of assault so this list is meant to reflect that. I am looking forward to converting all of these crazy characters much more than actually playing a game with them. 

• 4 weeks later...
I wish I wasn't so awful at taking pictures, this guy looks pretty good in real life! He has a slight case of pin-head syndrome, but I kind of like the look- it reminds me of 40k art. 10 more to go!

• 3 weeks later...

What is The Corpse of Tempest Fall you ask? Well let me tell you curious onlooker!

The corpse of Tempest Fall is my long term truescale project intended to depict the demise of the Tempest Sons Astartes chapter at the hands of the ruinous powers. I was inspired by Forgeworld's decorative bases and decided to create one of my own, but  for my entire army. I will be using magnets in the feet of the Astartes that will allow them to be placed onto the decorative board as well as their individual gaming bases. The decorative army board will depict the dying throws of the Tempest Sons in their final hours as they hold back the tides chaos from overwhelming the star system and destroying its human population. 

Ok now check this out:

IMG 7110

I have a Knight Lancer! WOOOOOO! I got it on Ebay so it is of dubious authenticity, however I am not terribly upset as it is a good cast by whoever made it. I have a plan for this guy! The lancer is piloted by Marcarius, a soldier of ambiguous morality and the prodigal son of his household, but unfortunately the Battle of Tempest Fall is also his final fight. I am planning on tearing up the carapace of the knight so that its interior (and Marcarius) will be clearly visible and adding it to the display board with the Tempest Sons. I will model him from the Death Corpse Commissar seen above (AMAZING model from Forgeworld, the proportions are excellent, I highly recommend it for anyone looking for a good officer model that is not heroic scale) by using heat to change his limb positions and exchanging his head for a bare one. In my lore the knight Marcarius is piloting has such an intense machine spirit that it forges an incredibly strong connection with its pilot. Consequently this causes Marcarius' body to emulate the motions he is telling the knight to perform. So instead of sitting, Marcarius will be held aloft by servo arms in the exact position his knight is in (Pacific Rim style). This will take some doing modeling wise, but I am really looking forward to starting it. As a side note, The cockpit is actually too small for Marcarius to extend fully unfortunately so he often hits the walls with his fists and will be modeled with bloody bandages on his elbows and hands to depict this. I am also throwing around the idea of adding an LED in the cockpit so that people can see the inside clearly.

In addition to Marcarius, his cousin Tallous will also make an appearance on the Corpse of Tempest Fall board. I will use blue stuff (excellent material for making quick molds of things, check it out: to re-create parts of the knight lancer to make a downed destroyed knight. Then I will use the second Commissar to model Tallous crawling from the wreckage. She was the only member of her knight household to survive the Battle of Tempest Fall. 

One last thing!

Here is another count as Sanguinary Guard, the first of the second squad:

IMG 7118

IMG 7117

IMG 7116

Note the shield on his shoulder, I think the Grey Knight ones are comically large, so I created this one from the Forgeworld Cataphractii terminator sergeant by scraping the skull off then taking a mold of the shield with blue stuff. 

Thanks for looking!

How To Paint Black Without An Airbrush!

I have been scouring the internet looking for good ways to paint black without an airbrush and have achieved limited success. I really don't like the "tron" style of edge highlighting and I don't have the time to wet blend an entire army, so I have devised an interesting way to do it that is pretty effective and time efficient. Having gone on such an odyssey to find the proper method, I thought it fit to share what I have learned with whoever reads my silly log!

The materials I used to achieve this black was Tamiya America's Gray Surface Primer (L) and GW Nuln Oil shade. The model in these photos is a Truescale test model I made when I was first trying to figure out how to make space marines taller (it's not very good but hey it was my first attempt!).

1. The first thing I did was prime the miniature with the gray and wash it once with the Nuln shade. You don't have to water it down or anything, just glop it on and smooth it out.

2. Then I sprayed the model again, but only from above. This is called zenithal highlighting and is intended to mimic light coming from the sky. Do not get carried away, just spray it briefly while rotating the miniature to get all of the sides.

Step one, Zenithal Highlight

3. Then wash again

Step two, wash

4. Highlight again, but this time less paint than before.

Step Three, Zenithal Highlight II

5. Wash again (you can add a few layers of wash here until its sufficiently dark) and BAM! It's black! The highlighting ends up being pretty subtle and I think it looks pretty good!

Step Four, Wash

So I am obviously no pro, but I like this effect! Using spray paint (primer especially) can leave a grainy texture that could be circumvented by using an airbrush, but I think it actually looks kind of cool. This effect is dulled with the oil but is still apparent if you look really closely.

So there you have it, have fun!

• 3 weeks later...

What is The Corpse of Tempest Fall you ask? Well let me tell you curious onlooker!

The corpse of Tempest Fall is my long term truescale project intended to depict the demise of the Tempest Sons Astartes chapter at the hands of the ruinous powers. I was inspired by Forgeworld's decorative bases and decided to create one of my own, but  for my entire army. I will be using magnets in the feet of the Astartes that will allow them to be placed onto the decorative board as well as their individual gaming bases. The decorative army board will depict the dying throws of the Tempest Sons in their final hours as they hold back the tides chaos from overwhelming the star system and destroying its human population. 

Ok now check this out:

I have a Knight Lancer! WOOOOOO! I got it on Ebay so it is of dubious authenticity, however I am not terribly upset as it is a good cast by whoever made it. I have a plan for this guy! The lancer is piloted by Marcarius, a soldier of ambiguous morality and the prodigal son of his household, but unfortunately the Battle of Tempest Fall is also his final fight. I am planning on tearing up the carapace of the knight so that its interior (and Marcarius) will be clearly visible and adding it to the display board with the Tempest Sons. I will model him from the Death Corpse Commissar seen above (AMAZING model from Forgeworld, the proportions are excellent, I highly recommend it for anyone looking for a good officer model that is not heroic scale) by using heat to change his limb positions and exchanging his head for a bare one. In my lore the knight Marcarius is piloting has such an intense machine spirit that it forges an incredibly strong connection with its pilot. Consequently this causes Marcarius' body to emulate the motions he is telling the knight to perform. So instead of sitting, Marcarius will be held aloft by servo arms in the exact position his knight is in (Pacific Rim style). This will take some doing modeling wise, but I am really looking forward to starting it. As a side note, The cockpit is actually too small for Marcarius to extend fully unfortunately so he often hits the walls with his fists and will be modeled with bloody bandages on his elbows and hands to depict this. I am also throwing around the idea of adding an LED in the cockpit so that people can see the inside clearly.

In addition to Marcarius, his cousin Tallous will also make an appearance on the Corpse of Tempest Fall board. I will use blue stuff (excellent material for making quick molds of things, check it out: to re-create parts of the knight lancer to make a downed destroyed knight. Then I will use the second Commissar to model Tallous crawling from the wreckage. She was the only member of her knight household to survive the Battle of Tempest Fall. 

One last thing!

Here is another count as Sanguinary Guard, the first of the second squad:

Note the shield on his shoulder, I think the Grey Knight ones are comically large, so I created this one from the Forgeworld Cataphractii terminator sergeant by scraping the skull off then taking a mold of the shield with blue stuff. 

Thanks for looking!

Woah, i Love the Dynamic of your guy , especially this one.

Greatgrestgreat

Wow thanks  MikhalLeNoir!, that means a lot coming from you , you are a real pro with creating motion in your models!

I have been working on a lot of things lately but only a small amount has been warhammer unfortunately. In fact I recently made a chibi figure of my girlfriend using a ton green stuff which was pretty fun. I have been working on the knight lancer a bit though, here are a few wip images of the mask I am constructing for it:

IMG 7310

IMG 7309

IMG 7306

I went for an eerie look inspired by one of my favorite artists Richard A. Kirk 

Thanks for looking, questions and comments are always welcome! 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Thank you everyone for your views and comments!

Did some work on another Astartes:

Earlier WIP:

IMG 7519

IMG 7521

Added the head and some purity seals:

IMG 7530

IMG 7529

He's magnetized to the knight pauldron so I can take him off his base and add him to the display board I am creating. I am unsure about the head, what do you guys think?

Sorry for the bad pictures! I will be taking new ones when I start painting. Questions and comments are always welcome! Thanks for looking

Archived