Dear fellow commissars, i come to you in time of need ;)

There is this campaign we're playing here with the locals, and i recently landed on a planet that mainly has necrons on it.
The problem here is that i (shamefully) have to admit that i never won a game of this guy. ever.
He is a good competitive player that knows his stuff and always goes for the win.

I mainly run a tank-based force and that is also my weakness, as he just gets close enough with his ghost arks and gaus-glances everything to death.

So the thing that I've figured out is to place an aegis with quadgun (works surprisingly well against his flyers) and put some kind of commander behind said aegis that has the ability to call out senior officer orders. then run some lascanon teams and order them to ignore cover to nullify his jink. 
Use a manticore and a wyven to bombard lose troops (psy divinate the manticore to re-roll "to hit), and a vendetta for further air support.

This is basically where my ideas run to a halt, so if anyone has some tips or tricks i would be very thankful.

Look at a capable and competitive opponent as a good way to improve ;) Against the toasters going tank heavy can be a weakness though as you've noted as hull point stripping is an effective way to deal with armour. That's not to say the solution is going pure infantry of course, for tanks mount some of our best guns! I think the old mantra of numbers and fire power will help here.

Volume of fire always wins the day, and numbers let you absorb the inevitable losses without damaging your capability to return the favour. Orders will be a great way to maximise this effectiveness, especially for lascannons. Your heavy support choices look good, I'll add an Eradicator as a good option too as it'll handle Necron Warriors well. Fits the keeping costs down theme too so allows you to squeeze in more models :) A Vendetta is a solid idea too, it can clear the skies or apply some serious lascannon to robot faces.

Thanks for the reply, indeed, soaking amounts of firepower helps here!
Once fielded two LR Punishers (one a paskisher) and that actually took care of the wraith problem at that time :)
I guess its time to buy more heavy weapons platforms for lascanons :P...from the (around) 4000pnts points of guard i own at this moment there is just 4 heavy weapon teams... and 3 of those are autocanons... XD

And indeed, numbers count here to be able to take the losses.

I've mainly had two problems with Newcrons.  The first is that I field Paskquisher.  I can't bring myself to ignore a monolith if I see one, wasting his potential that would be better served killing arks, stalkers, etc.  The other problem is necron bikes.  The amount of firepower that it takes to bring them down literally kills me every time. My entire list's shooting over three or four turns should by rights be enough do deal with six bikes...but it's not.  They're just too survivable, and once they get close, they wreck face...and in the meantime, the vain attempt to bring them down lets the rest of the list in the door unmolested.  I really need something that's AP3 and ignores jink, or a fast melee unit, to deal with the bikes...but it also has to be something that works in an all-comers list...I don't see anything like that in my codex...

I've mainly had two problems with Newcrons.  The first is that I field Paskquisher.  I can't bring myself to ignore a monolith if I see one, wasting his potential that would be better served killing arks, stalkers, etc.  The other problem is necron bikes.  The amount of firepower that it takes to bring them down literally kills me every time. My entire list's shooting over three or four turns should by rights be enough do deal with six bikes...but it's not.  They're just too survivable, and once they get close, they wreck face...and in the meantime, the vain attempt to bring them down lets the rest of the list in the door unmolested.  I really need something that's AP3 and ignores jink, or a fast melee unit, to deal with the bikes...but it also has to be something that works in an all-comers list...I don't see anything like that in my codex...

A well known problem i face as well. the only thing i found that properly works against the jinking is orders to make your AP2 lascannon teams ignore cover, as a jink save is a cover save the're not allowed to take one ;)

Or as warriorfish stated, soak them (with for example paskisher fire)...

But there must be something else available out there than yust fielding heavy weapon teams with order giving commanders behind them :P

I did soak them...37 S7+ AP2 or better hits brought down...four out of six bikes! T5 stormshield terminators are easier to kill!  At that rate, adding in the non-AP3 shooting wouldn't have made any difference...

Hey Braxton! Just chiming in here, mostly to second what the other folk have already said. I might also add that we can help a little more if we could take a look at your list? Sometimes it takes a second eye to catch some improvements in what you bring to the table.

Other than that, follow the advice offered already - plan for casualties and shoot what you can kill.

I haven't played Newcrons, so my advice is limited here, but could you potentially tar-pit one or two of his units with a big blob of infantry?

Hey Braxton! Just chiming in here, mostly to second what the other folk have already said. I might also add that we can help a little more if we could take a look at your list? Sometimes it takes a second eye to catch some improvements in what you bring to the table.

Other than that, follow the advice offered already - plan for casualties and shoot what you can kill.

I haven't played Newcrons, so my advice is limited here, but could you potentially tar-pit one or two of his units with a big blob of infantry?

are we alowed to put lists here? i thought that we needed to do that in the list building part of the forum :P

You can't just throw a list in here and say "make it better for me," but if you come in here saying "I have a problem defeating army X or unit Y," then it becomes relevant to ask what you're using and how you're using it.  You don't need to post a perfect list like you would in the army list forum that's a precise number of points with every detail about each unit listed in a separate section for each FOC category, you just need to say "three chimelta squads, two russes, a vulture, and a demolisher."  Prose, not a table, and just a list of units, not a description of every upgrade...

Indeed, for list discussion the army lists section is the correct place. Lists may be discussed here but only in a wider context with a focus on more discussion and such, for example suggesting a few unit builds and stuff like that :)

Ah okey, thanks for clearing that up.

In that case, i had something like this in mind;

-Aegis with quadgun

-CCS

-infantry squad with:

2x lascanon team (6 total)

1x autocanon team (3 total)

2x infantry squad with chimera

1x command squad

-LR Punisher (t-commander)

-LR punisher (buddy)

-vendetta

The basic idea was to stick the heavy weapon squads behind the aegis in my far end of the table, then let the CCS give orders to ignore cover (nullify jink). Let CCS use quad (it can order itself).

Pop the ghost arks with lascannon fire, clean up with punishers.

Use punishers as well in case of wraiths.

Get objectives with chimers and stick infantry command squad in vendetta to get objectives/rig them with melta.

I have the option to stick in a vanquisher to force that ghost-ark-death-ray-thing he always sticks in the back to jink.

So that was my idea, hopefully you people can give me some feedback :D

big problem...Even behind an aegis, NINE heavy weapons teams is a lot of hammer and a lot of eggshell.  With two T3 wounds per heavy weapon, it doesn't take much to destroy your offensive potential.  You'd be much better off with spammed infantry squads with a heavy weapon each...at least then they're really hard to kill due to all of the extra bodies, and if the enemy gets close, you have a metric assload of flashlights to shine in his eyes!

Without having any imperial guard experience what-so-ever, remember that Necron gauss range is only 24, with double tap at 12. If you can out-range the buggers (and you can!), you can whittle down helluvalot of their firepower before they can even reach you. A walking cron is a slow cron, so nix their transports. Glancing them to death is awful, but if you can get but a single penetrating hit, their shield goes bye-bye and they are now a paper-ark instead of a ghostark. So much easier to take out!

Remember they are open topped too, so with ap1 that is PLUS THREE on the penetration chart.​

Easier said than done...  You're not facing just an advancing line of carapace-armored warriors and some ghost arks.  You'll be facing one of the two varieties of bike, as well, and they're wicked-impossible to shoot to death.  The only armies that handle them well are those with cover-ignoring AP3 guns or melee that's fast enough to catch them.  Those bikes, in my games against newcrons, can't be ignored, and eat up all of your shooting.  The idea is that they'll buy time for the slow stuff to get in your face, but usually, the bikes gut your army before the rest can catch up to them. 

how about a collosus battery? they should be able to wreck face against any necron target, bar the vehicles.

alternatively, how about the knight acheron and it's hellstorm template of AP3 goodness? you could even consider placing it in reserve, waiting for his army to close in without any chance of doing alpha damage on it. not to mention it makes a nice centrepiece.

big problem...Even behind an aegis, NINE heavy weapons teams is a lot of hammer and a lot of eggshell.  With two T3 wounds per heavy weapon, it doesn't take much to destroy your offensive potential.  You'd be much better off with spammed infantry squads with a heavy weapon each...at least then they're really hard to kill due to all of the extra bodies, and if the enemy gets close, you have a metric assload of flashlights to shine in his eyes!

I agree with you :)

And with hendrik about the colossus battery and knight acheron.

Just one downside to this equation, this would require for me to spend about another 300 euro's to actually get all of the above.

How this bit of insanity:

I throw in a Hellhammer superheavy (i do actiually own one of these) with a s10 ap1 massive blast ignores cover main gun.

Stick that in the middle behind an aegis.

Run 2 punishers on the side for 60 shots of supressive fire a turn

Use something else to cover the long range fire (like a vendetta)

Stick my wyvern in the back.

And spend all of the other points on points capturing capacity...

Or is this just a madman's speech...?

Well, the aegis only protects vehicles if it covers 25% of the model, from the firer's perspective...with a superheavy, that's doubtful!  Better to throw some other vehicles in front of it as best you can without obscuring the hellhammer's shooting.  But, yeah, the hellhammer would definitely solve the bike problem!  Maybe put a techpriest behind it, though, to repair some of that gauss damage every turn?

Archived