What background pieces do you consider essential?

The Silent Sisters were blanks. That's a key point right there.

One group has skills gained from a life time of constant devotion, prayer and faith. The other is a quirk of birth. You will never convince me they are the same.

Who has Land Raiders and exemplify a knightly order?

Who does not follow the codex?

Who champions the cause of man no matter the cost?

That's right; black/grey templar/knights. They are the same!

I mean, for me, the biggest reason not to collate them is... well, four to six thousand years, eighteen tech levels and a mind-bogglingly long distance.

Thing is, the Sisters of Silence were tossed into Visions because someone wanted to draw women in fetish armour...

@Jacinda: I am not saying the orders are one in the same; I just woulsnt be suprised if some Bl/GW/FW tries and makes the connection; similar to how many belive certain loyalist chapters have traitor geneseed. I'll adknowledge the orders are seperate entities, and I have no qualms about that. But the parrallels between the two makesnit inevitable to me that some author will make a connection, even if its a relatively obscure one

It would be a massive stretch to link the two orders though. Remember that one is an organisation formed by the emperor himself to directly combat the psyker threat and the other is formed several thousand years later as the militant arm of the church. Bearing in mind that the only similarities between the two are the black ships and gender, it would be a really sad day if FW were to link them no matter how tenuously.

Right, back on topic, was there ever anything written about the sisters in the old epic books or the citadel journal? Also whats the best source for the actual workings of the Ecclesiarchy (i.e. is there a hierarchy, any schisms between different sects, etc.)

Also I just want to thank everybody for their help in this! Having been a chaos player for most of my gaming career, it's been great to see just how much background I've missed over the years. biggrin.png

Right, back on topic, was there ever anything written about the sisters in the old epic books or the citadel journal? Also whats the best source for the actual workings of the Ecclesiarchy (i.e. is there a hierarchy, any schisms between different sects, etc.)

Well, when I started that topic a few weeks back I came up rather shy of what I'd hoped for.

Oh how I do miss the Journal and the zaniness it provided.

The inner workings of the Ministorum were covered in Codex: Sisters of Battle, and before that in Codex: Imperialis (the 2nd edition box set fluff book), if memory serves.

I only recall one instance of a Sisters thing in the Citadel Journal, that being the drop pod purge force, nothing specifically for Epic.

Thanks for the link, i guess that kills Sisters of silence from 40k, unless they retcon the stuff (doubt it)

The Silent Sisters were blanks. That's a key point right there.

One group has skills gained from a life time of constant devotion, prayer and faith. The other is a quirk of birth. You will never convince me they are the same.

Who has Land Raiders and exemplify a knightly order?
Who does not follow the codex?
Who champions the cause of man no matter the cost?
That's right; black/grey templar/knights. They are the same!

As for the connection between Silence and Battle, (I am wilfully ignoring the comment above by the way) i never claimed that they were the same. As per my previous post though, one can safely assume one order based on the left-overs of the other.

If you want it in Black Templars / Grey Knights terms:
Garro went around recruiting Marines to create the Grey Knigths, late Heresy period.

So it is (and this time fluff-supported) correct to say that Grey Knights were made up of Black Templars (Imperial Fists really....) (and Ultramarine, and Raven Guard, and.....etc)

Sisters of Battle are not Sisters of Silence. I will never claim thus.

But Sisters of Silence could well be the order that Vandire found on San Leor. Why are you so adamant that they are not?
The *only* difference is a quirk of birth, one easily lost over so many years and generations if not maintained.

There are a lot more differences than that.

Sisters of Silence favoured polearms, the Daughters of the Emperor favoured bastard swords (although I cannot for the life of me remember where I got that from, other than that Alicia Dominica and Katherine both used them)) - certainly, there is no legacy of polearms in the Sororitas fighting techniques today.

The SoS worked for the Adeptus Astra Telepathica, an organisation that the Adepta Sororitas hate dealing with.

The SoS were secular fundamentalists, although four thousand years of oral tradition might have changed that.

San Leor is a tiny backwater world that the Adeptus Terra records noted didn't even need to tithe, because there was no real population there, they produced nothing of note, and the only interesting thing on the entire planet was the daughters' convent. It's the Tatooine of 40k.

Well there is a lot of information that i am not aware of (polearms V bastard swords) which could have a bearing (from that, it looks like Sisters of Silence seem a lot like Custodes, where a similar Custode V Marine link is debatable as the SoS V SoB is).

I do base myself on the very little fluff that i have heard of, such as when the lexicanum states: "others believe they were decimated protecting the Emperor's secret project at the height of the Heresy".

Who knows what San Leor was, as that can pretty much have been wiped by the time Vandire came along.

There's not enough fluff to make definite decision, and i think it's anyone's call to decide if Sisters of Silence exist (though your link disproves that) but mainly if they are related in any way to the current Sisters of Battle. I don't really see the reason why employer / preferred weapon / genetic trait (these are not 1000yo-spaning marines - and even they win/loose gene traits) could have any bearing on this link other than:
"It seems they are not the same organisation"

As long as everyone is speculating, this "essential background" is left to your own decision msn-wink.gif

Archived