So, after commanding one of my disastrous defeats yesterday during a casual game, I'm hoping I have some luck to use during the campaign game next week.

I will be up against the current champion - the Eldar/Guard alliance. It'll be 1500 points, and I'll have a bonus 30 points to spend. So far, Nate has refused to deploy any wraith constructs or D-weapons. There's a high chance Pask will be there in a standard LRBT. Other likely units are a tempestous squad with a Taurox Prime, guardians, rangers, and that Farseer Rising Star. 

I plan on taking at least one meltacide squad in a pod to counter the Russes. Leaning toward bringing a couple of Fragiosos, especially with a high chance of rangers.

Last week it was Maelstrom, so we'll probably go back to Eternal Crusade missions. We've done the Relic, so it's much more likely we'll do one of the five others. 

Any advice?

*sigh* Unfortunately, the GM has to work tonight, so there will be no campaign game. And I had almost finished my list too. 

I was a few points over, but here's the general idea.

Captain Magnus with  base Death Co. in a Crusader with MM

2xFragiosos in Pods, 1 with HF other with melta

CC scout squad & TAC with HF in Rhino

Melticide squad in Pod

Grav-bikes + 1

and a Raven

• 2 weeks later...

Okay, the game is on today, and I have my early intel report. Fighting will be close-combat, no bikes, or vehicles besides walkers. Assault troops will be allowed but with restrictions. "Be prepared to face attackers on all fronts." 

I'm definitely bringing Magnus since this sounds like his environment, but good gravy, there goes a third of our specialty! Any suggestions? The Imperial Guard don't look anywhere near as dangerous without their tanks, but I'm concerned about what tricks the Eldar can toss my way.

So, technically, the campaign didn't happen. But, my best friend showed up, and we played a practice game with the same lists and scenario. 

No pics, because I was teaching and am still not in the habit of bringing my camera. It was a zone mortalis map...I think. I've never actually played an official ZM game. Basically, bunch of rooms and small hallways. No vehicles but walkers. It was the first Maelstrom mission for simplicity. My warlord trait gave us double VPs for Secure X cards.

The Eldar/IG heresy

Two Wraithlordss, both with cannons (Not 'D')

1 Guardian mob with suncannon and Farseer

1 Avenger mob with Farseer (warlord) and Exarch (with the squad Invul upgrade)

2 IG Vets

1 Sentinel with Plasma Can

1 Bullgryn squad with slabshields and frag launchers

1 Ogryn squad

1 Tempestous squad with 2xVolley guns

Blood Angels

Captain Magnus & Terminator Assault squad (3 TH/SS)

Priest with Term Assault squad (3 TH/SS)

6 man Death Co. (1 Fist)

2 x 6-man TAC squads (Heavy Flamers on both, one with grav, the other with melta gun)

2x 5 man Scout squads (Camo & CC)

Fragioso with Heavy Flamer

Cassor

Battle overview - 

We ran out of time. I had double VPs, but we were losing men like no tomorrow, even with incredible luck on the saves. Overall, without any way to speed into close combat, we were getting shot up. I think the BA could've pulled a victory so long as the cards didn't go completely against us, but the right and center-right hallways would've been wiped out. 

Nate advised me I needed more guns, but how? Devastators need to be stationary. Should've I brought a normal dreadnought with autocannons? (I can't tell you how foreign the idea of fielding a standard dreadnought is to me. I didn't even think about it until now.) 

Archived