Post-Calth Ultramarines and Wordbearers

Hey guys, long time reader of all things B&C and finally decided to become a member!

I've been really getting into the Ultramarines recently following all the fluff surrounding HH: Book 5: Tempest, its main content being based around the Battle of Calth, having read the fluff (Mark of Calth mainly) and being an avid 30K fan I thought Id give a few scenic "hero" figures, based around some of the Ultramarine survivors left to defend and take back Calth.

So without further ado, here is my first figure, its seriously WIP at this point as i'm waiting for a few FW Ultramarine bits to turn up.

WP 20150601 16 32 05 Pro

Here is the base for my first Ultramarine in about 10 years, grabbed a ruined cityscape resin base off Ebay (bought a long time ago as part of another project, cant seem to find them now!) I want all the bases to feature various bits of battle/corpses so I wanted this one to have the head, torso and shoulders of a Word Bearer. Though you can't quite see (Using my phone camera for the moment) I've worked a few dings and scratches into the armour with a hobby drill and scalpel and given a good sized bolter entry wound to both the chest and left eye. Really happy with it so far!

WP 20150601 16 32 41 Pro

WP 20150601 16 32 27 Pro

And here is the start of the Vet. himself. I've used FW Destroyer legs/torso for the basis as I really like the overlapping shin armour and added equipment on the waist. Though, again, its hard to see, I've green stuff'd a small, tattered loin cloth and belt on to the front, a small torn loin cloth on the back and an honor braid on the thigh. the legs themselves are riddled with scratches and dings (again, from the drill and scalpel).

With any luck the other parts will be here tomorrow and I'll be able to update then! 

Any comments/criticism welcome

Looking forward to this! Have you seen apologist and doghouse's log on Calth?

I have, the Praetors of Calth was the main reason I wanted to model them, the guys did a fantastic job on them! I originally wanted to try and make true-scale but it seemed like a massive pain having to get all the individual bits from both GW and FW, so I've settled for this. check back later for more updates! 

=UPDATE=

The parts I was waiting for have turned up and I'm currently in the process of assembling and pinning! 

WP 20150602 12 27 39 Pro

WP 20150602 12 27 49 Pro

As you can see the Veteran now has one of those new FW Praetorian torso and helmet, because he's a vet I wanted to have him helmetless so I've drilled out the helmet and attached it to his waist, once I've got a few dings and scars on there, it'll be ready to prime!

WP 20150602 12 28 42 Pro

Also grabbed one of the new shoulder pads and a Red Scorpion pad (the hanging, scrappy parchment was too veteran not to miss out on) going to outfit him with a seeker pattern bolter just because they look awesome!

WP 20150602 12 28 14 Pro

Also picked up some new bases from Anvil Industry's, they're the new Hyper-City base toppers in case anyone is interested, brilliant casting and loads of details, considering using this one instead of the one with the dead Word Bearer, added an old imperial fist eagle decal just for effect. 

• 1 month later...

As well as Apologist and Doghouses thread I shall be keeping an eye on this, as a long time Word Bearers player and a severe dislike of the smurfs the Calth cleansing is by far my fave bit of heresy fluff apart from the Battle for Terra. Hell if the plastic heresy box turns out to be real I know how I'll be painting them up :P

Archived