Show Me Your Rough Riders! Need Inspiration

I'm trying really hard to avoid all the great new PA stuff coming out, and focusing on my AM army. My DA's are beckoning, but I must keep them at bay a while longer.

I'm thinking about adding some Rough Riders to my army, to add another element to it. I have lots of Scion bits to make conversions, but I'm debating whether or not to use Scout Bikes, or the Empire Knightly Orders horsemen (Dark Elf Cold Ones are a slight consideration too).

Both would make for nice easy conversions, I'm just not sure horses fit into the realm of tanks and fighter jets.

So, show me what you have. Show me what you have done to make a Rough Rider Squad (the Codex doesn't actually specify what they are riding)

Well, the look of mine might not suit the majority of IG armies on here, but they'll give you an idea of how you can use the WHFB Empire Outriders/Pistoliers kit:

And...they're done!

gallery_63428_8145_14939.jpg

Sergeant

gallery_63428_8145_49061.jpggallery_63428_8145_7976.jpg

gallery_63428_8145_10843.jpgmed_gallery_63428_8145_6561.jpg

Melta bomb probably would have been better quartered yellow/black, but nevermind.

Polo player.

gallery_63428_8145_30033.jpggallery_63428_8145_19238.jpg

Melta gunner 1.

gallery_63428_8145_25557.jpg

Lancer.

gallery_63428_8145_11935.jpggallery_63428_8145_7662.jpg

Melta gunner 2.

gallery_63428_8145_24681.jpggallery_63428_8145_49911.jpg

While I will be doing another squad to go alongside this one, if I ever did some as non-Kierdale's Worlders...straight Cadians, for example...I'd consider combining the Empire Pistoliers kit with a Cadian infantry squad. I think you could sand down the detail on -for example- the outrider legs to make the thigh plates flat like Cadian flak armour, perhaps use Cadian torsos and helmets. The cloaks could be done up camo very nicely indeed.

I started putting together a rough rider squad but only got as far as the first model... it's a Space Dwarf (Grymn) Guardsman:

http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d161/Inso/Grymn/Grymn%20Cavalry/GrymnCav2.jpg

I will likely be using these with some different riders for my Squat Imperial Guard rough riders:

http://www.manticgames.com/mantic-shop/kings-of-war/dwarfs/product/dwarf-berserker-brock-riders-regiment-10-figures.html

Who wouldn't want space dwarfs riding giant badgers on their team?! :)

Now they are an amazing find!!! Looking forward to how you give them your usual twist. ;)

I like the Death Korps of Krieg version myself, but they all have trenchcoats and the scale is slightly off from the plastic range, so I don't know how well they would convert. (By the way, I've decided I hate snow on my bases, so I'll be rebasing the few Krieg I have finished.)

gallery_60019_10968_421006.jpg

gallery_60019_10968_63018.jpg

gallery_60019_10968_412600.jpg

gallery_60019_10968_383291.jpg

gallery_60019_10968_305805.jpg

Still, but why male models horses?  Why is there such a specific unit type in the Codex for a model that doesn't even exist?  Maybe in the next Codex, the rules will be more favorable and they'll release official models so people will actually play them.

• 2 weeks later...

Hmmm ... I came across a box (a shoe box crammed full actually) of unbuilt really old plastic Brettonian knights. In their basic state they don't work as rough riders but the mounts could be a good starting point.

I can't see the riders being any use other than possibly armatures to use as a starting point for new models? Unless anyone can think of a way of converting them up? I've got some of the Ghenghis Khan inspired metal riders which might fit but they only number 5 models.

Seems the hobby butterfly has just decided to start flying off in different directions once more. ;)

That might work. I was looking at brass rod with a WHF spear head and a couple of grenades attached.

I will mock up a few different options before I settle down to it.

Thanks for the ideas :)

Archived