Show Me Your Rough Riders! Need Inspiration

i guess you could still use the bretonians as they come, given that not all imperial worlds are that high tech. they'll be stunned by all the modern technology though! how about giving them different heads, and painting the armour in a non metallic colour,such as green? i'm guessing just by getting rid of the shields and the helmets their lookhas already changed a lot!. maybe even sculpt some sort of rebreather on them and their horses?

The Bretonnian horses have caparisons which, to me, do not look right in the 40K environment.

You would be better going for the Empire outriders but as you only have the Brettonian horses you may be able to trim the cloth back a little to get it to work.

I love the idea of this thread! I too am really looking for a reason to bring Rough Riders to the table but they seem too weak against most armies, however i think they do have their place, not much as an MEQ killer but more of a quick and easy way to bring Krak Grenades to enemy Vehicles and cleaning up weakened down units, probably squads of 5 like Sternguard etc. Hide them behind your tanks and then bring them out when they're in Assault range! I hope all goes well for you and I might end up taking some myself.

If the Astra Militarum can use beast men (Rogue Trader days) maybe you could use some centigors for roughriders. All youd need to do is add a few sci-fi bits and bobs and they'd look pretty cool :)

If the Astra Militarum can use beast men (Rogue Trader days) maybe you could use some centigors for roughriders. All youd need to do is add a few sci-fi bits and bobs and they'd look pretty cool :)

Loving the idea!!!

Just use the centigrade with spears and lengthen them a little with a counter weight and something kaboomish in the end. ;)

Here's my version of the Rough Riders. I used the Chaos Marauder Horsemen for the feral look.

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-czVtZD5-a4g/VPkhzr1AxYI/AAAAAAAAAoY/uGYqGoJ6xhw/s1600/IMG_0108.JPG

I will say they are quite the glass hammer. And then only good for the first blow. Do not expect them to survive a protracted combat. I had a full unit hit an 8 man Death Company. They were able to break them down to three guys, but the brave idiots fell in the next round. Admittedly, they did more damage to the Death Co than any lasguns or flamers I had hitting them previously.

I remember there used to be a listing for xeno mounts, but that was a while back. I wish they would open their minds to the possibilities. Even now special forces of different military branches keep some equine courses.The U.S. air force used airmen mounted on horseback to patrol missile bases.The U.S. army maintains a muleskinner course, for mountain , and rangers. There should be a listing for light recon. A mech, listing.

The Bretonnian horses have caparisons which, to me, do not look right in the 40K environment.

You would be better going for the Empire outriders but as you only have the Brettonian horses you may be able to trim the cloth back a little to get it to work.

Elmo, I'd love to see caparisons done in your choc-chip camo scheme.

Camouflaged caparisons...that I could believe in a crazy universe like 40k.

Even now special forces of different military branches keep some equine courses.The U.S. air force used airmen mounted on horseback to patrol missile bases.The U.S. army maintains a muleskinner course, for mountain , and rangers.

The Mounted Airmen are only at Vandenberg, because of the beach, they can't use ATV's year round since there's some bird that nests there, so they use horses to minimize the impact. Other bases would use HMMWV's and other off-road vehicles. As for the rest of it, you're spot on. 

That's my reasoning for wanting to use them. I was thinking of using the bolt action german motorcycles for my rough riders with a pike, ala Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade (watched it a while back and thought that would make great rough riders). I also love those old BMW R75's...

did these a while back for my traitor guard, the middle one is a count-as version of mogul kamir, the now non-existent character.

Rough Riders Painted

sorry for the photo quality.

Archived