I Think I've Decided My Final Color Scheme - Need Opinions

Pudelhund

I painted up some Guardsmen in my previous color scheme and I decided I didn't like it. It was purple cloth with grey armor. The tanks would also be grey for an austere kind of look. The issue is that I realized that grey tanks would look a lot like unpainted tanks unless I was really good with the detail work. The other issue is that it was getting really hard to match all kinds of "dirty war colors" of different gear and stuff with this royal purple look which was ultimately very un-Guardlike. So I decided on a new scheme:

The Guardsman:

igbeta2.php?b62c=@hnbw6_hIHJV.i5AOz@@@.__@@@@_hL7LDhL7LDhL7LD..h3jnLiakk7_@h64xxiakk7&

Jokaero Orange, Stormvermin Fur, and Karak Stone are the dominant colors. I'm going for an Autumn-deciduous-theme as it is something I haven't seen too often and thought would look cool. I decided that with my limited painting skill, I wasn't going to attempt a camouflage pattern on the uniform and instead would break it up.

Now the vehicles are where I am going to make the colors fabulous.

I am going to use Anarchy Models HD Stencils (Hexocam Pattern) on all of the vehicles using those three colors. I doctored this image to show approximately what it might look like, though I would go less dense on the orange small-pattern parts and go more area on the dark grey background. What do you guys think?

http://i.imgur.com/OPrvrHT.png

The Camo looks like a great candidate for the stippling method. Try stippling the colors on the fatigues on one model to see how it comes out, if it doesn't work strip it and go with your original idea. Doesn't hurt to try right?

I quite like the colour scheme minus the trouser colour. I'm unsure, but I find that the lighter colour might draw the eye away from the the rest of the miniature. I would need to see a test mini to see if I'm perhaps a bit too picky for my own good ;)

As for the tank pattern, I really like the look of that. It reminds me of the forests around where I live during autumn, so perhaps I'm a wee bit biased.

The Camo looks like a great candidate for the stippling method. Try stippling the colors on the fatigues on one model to see how it comes out, if it doesn't work strip it and go with your original idea. Doesn't hurt to try right?

I remember you showing me your stippling method in another thread, but I'm honestly too intimidated by it.  I think I would get a better table-top presentation by trying to get a clean wash and highlight on fabrics.  The intimidating aspect of camo, particularly the finer method you like, is that you have to be very careful applying it around the folded areas of the fabric or else the whole thing blends away the detail.  I think the most approachable type of camouflage I have seen is the type that relies on simple dot-replacement like that "chocolate chip" regiment on here or the "oak leaf" type camouflage where you put inverse dots in fields of different colors.

Mehman's the one with the pictures, and my method was a bit more coarse. I'm honestly intimidated by what Mehman accomplished. My base color still shows through, and hey if you feel that it's beyond you, that's your call, I'm not going to try and convince you to do something you're not comfortable with. I'll see if I can get you some pictures of an individual model that I did.

I like the color scheme he's going for, but I agree some sort of camo pattern would add a lot to the overall look. Some sort of choco-chip or stippling are my picks, maybe with a rust brown or evergreen color. Also, did you have a plan for the weapon colors? I find that helmets and rifles/special weapons tend to the be the focal point of IG models, so getting those colors down first (and consistent) goes a long way toward making a unified force! smile.png

Chocochip© copyright Elmo ;)

But you could use the same technique for your pattern. Looking at your hex pattern I would suggest a dark grey background, bleached bone or tan blobs with vermin brown blobs on top ( not orange :( ).

There also seems to be a little green in the pattern.

I wouldn't have guessed there would be so much support for camo on the soldiers. I'm going to experiment with different techniques and post the results to ETL in addition to the clean one. Thanks guys for your vote of confidence here. Camo looks tough to do right, but at some point or another I'm probably going to have to learn.

I think you'll find that particular camo will work better on the troopers than the vehicles. Not saying don't do it, but there's a reason why vehicle's don't painted in pixel camo, or multicam or things like that. Camo makes things harder to see by breaking up the outline. But I can tell you there's no such thing as stealth with a multi-ton truck or war machine (We tried it once at Camp Blanding, and it didn't work, we got all kinds of shot up).

My biggest suggestion once you've solidified the colors you want is to really practice that camo scheme and find a fast and effective way to do it. You're going to have more than a few infantrymen to paint, so finding a good way to get them done assembly-line style will help to keep the process going. happy.png

I like the Hexo Cam stencil a lot. If I wasn't doing something different for my vehicles then we'd share that pattern, Pudelhund happy.png! I do agree with Ulrik- camo makes the most sense on infantry as hiding a big diesel engine doesn't really work. Well, I think if it's painted in the Dazzle pattern then it is pretty effective. I need to find the post for the other name of the Dazzle pattern. Anyway, go practice stippling some camouflage on your guys!

PS- I like the different trouser colour. Reminds me of what we wore back when.

EDIT- Splinter Camouflage was what I was looking for. No points for anyone. Pudelhund, it's still your board.

This on infantry:

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/f/fa/BDUs-forest.jpg

Becomes this on a vehicle:

http://www.hummerhuren.nl/wp-content/gallery/humvee/hmmwv-woodland-camo-groningen-1.jpg

Just throwing it out there.

Very unique choice for the camo, autumn colours like it. I agree with vel'cona's sentiments the key will be nailing an effective technique. Best of luck, look forward to seeing the results.

I would just use two,maybe even 3 dfferent camo patterns in your force.my armour has two different colour shemes,but utilises the same colour palette,based on the german tank camo during wwII,while my infantry uses the same colours in a totally different sheme. Give it all a try!for all we know your force gives each crew total responsibility over its camo

i like your original scheme and can see it working...without the camo ermm.gif sorry guys laugh.png

maybe a chipped white stripe on a shoulder pad or helmet top here and there to show rank and i think it'd be fantastic...camo on troops is super time exhaustive and imho it looks a bit sucky unless you do it like a pro, to be honest most examples iv'e seen are a bit yucky.gif except for the chocochip one by Elmo? that one rocked!

anyways good luck with it(i'm sorely tempted just to paint one up to prove how good i reckon it would look whistlingW.gif )

cheers Mithril

I'm going to also try replacing the khaki with a pale brown. It might lower the contrast too much, but it makes more sense.

The first guy I'm going to paint will be pale brown fatigues with some kind of camo over it (chocochip, oak leaf maybe), and the second will be plain.

Archived