== Martian Death Ray Club ==

@A Kvlt Ghost - Well here's the rub. Yes they've been in the Eye for 10,000 years, but we all know that time passes slower, slowly or not at all in there. Your Choom-tastic guns may have relatively only had 100 years tops to fart around with the tech;-)

That just means some of my dark mechanichus volkites will still be chooming as flawlessly as when they were first put to work deflagrating loyalists. ;) Besides, as Olis says, sometimes it goes the other way... and anyway, if you're a good warpsmith, how many hundred years do you need?

I have a confession.

I don't believe in Choom.

I watched Mars Attacks too many times, their blasters is pretty much how I imgaine Volkites to look and sound like.  :tongue.:

I have to agree... I never really felt the Choom. I always imagined it as a high-pitched scream, like REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE with a static quality to it, like some blown speakers. Oddly specific, I know.

I always imagined it to sound like the Obelisk of Nod from C&C. :smile.:

To be fair, that's not too far away from 'choom'. It's a lot closer than Kage or Hyaenidae. ;)

So we've had big Volkites (the Columbiad) and small Volkites (Twisty's grenade), we've had the Choomsday Cage*, the Volkite mounted Rapier and we've also had tower-ing Volkites. We've had some good concepts so far. 

* Actually it was originally called the 'Choomiday Cage'. I like 'Choomsday', better. :P

How about Hurricane Volkite? Or to give it a cooler name Volkite Repeater. That's right it's not quite original but 3 twin linked Volkite caliver strapped in Sponson form to either side of a tank is pretty Choomtastic I'd you ask me

I think there's sponson Volkites on the Achilles-Alpha Land Raider already, brother. ;)

Ah but they are the culverin. I was thinking for a more up close and personal version much akin to hurricane bolters. The alpha is a mid to long range beastie. Need a version for those of us who enjoy a bit of zeal and cqb :p

I always imagined it to sound like the Obelisk of Nod from C&C. :smile.:

To be fair, that's not too far away from 'choom'. It's a lot closer than Kage or Hyaenidae. :wink:

So we've had big Volkites (the Columbiad) and small Volkites (Twisty's grenade), we've had the Choomsday Cage*, the Volkite mounted Rapier and we've also had tower-ing Volkites. We've had some good concepts so far. 

* Actually it was originally called the 'Choomiday Cage'. I like 'Choomsday', better. :tongue.:

My thinking is it was a personal Faraday Cage of volkite goodness, thus to keep a similar rhythym to the word I threw an i in there. Choomsday is more accurate for a titan-class weapon. 

If one were to say, create a Volkite S:D Weapon (maybe like the Ordinatus earlier in the thread) How would you handle Deflagrate? 

Would you opt to Resolve it as another S:D Auto-hit or an S10 Auto-Hit?

'Cuz I might have an Idea for a Warlord+ Size Weapon.

Hmm. Another Strength D Auto-hit would be consistent with the rule, I reckon. 

And yet, if you Roll a 6 to hit and another 6 with Deflagrate, thats 2(D6+6) Wounds or Hullpoints with no Saves of any kind allowed.

So, for a single shot, you could deal up to 24 Wounds/Hp in damage to a single model.

Hmm. Another Strength D Auto-hit would be consistent with the rule, I reckon. 

And yet, if you Roll a 6 to hit and another 6 with Deflagrate, thats 2(D6+6) Wounds or Hullpoints with no Saves of any kind allowed.

So, for a single shot, you could deal up to 24 Wounds/Hp in damage to a single model.

That's a bit excessive, I think. 

Unless you're fighting Eldar. 

Then make it an apocalypse mega-blast with that profile. 

What, me, bitter?

Wow, a Strength D Volkite does that much damage? Well, it was going to be mounted on an Ordinatus, after all. Practically one-shotting a Warlord sounds like great fun. :lol

Well, if you really wanted to make it absurd, you could argue that each unsaved wound caused by an S:D Hit causes another deflagrate auto-hit.

...But we wont go there.

Thinking of making it a 5" wide, 90" Range Beam but with a Special Rule only letting it be fired every Other Turn unless you can roll a 6 on a D6.

Profile, as of now will look like: 90" S:D Ap1, Primary Weapon 1, Haywire, Blind, Soul Blaze, Incandescent Deflagration, Melta*, Heavy Beam (5"), Power Drain*, Beam Sweep (Turret Mounted Only)*

Melta: Justification for this is due to its immense energetic output that generates tremendous amounts of heat (deflagrate, y'all), I feel that it makes sense for the Weapon to have this special Rule especially due to its size.

Power Drain: Due to the amounts of energy required to fire the weapon and the time it takes to accumulate said Energy, the weapon can only be fired Every other turn after the first time the Weapons fire. However, on a D6 Roll of a 6, the Weapons Power Capacitors have rapidly and fully charged permitting the weapon to be fired on a turn it otherwise wouldn't be able to due to power drain.

Beam Sweep: After having determined the Maximum range of the Beam and units hit by it, The Controlling play may opt to split the Beam into Three Equal Parts (rounding down when otherwise unable to be done). The First Third - the part closest to the Weapons Muzzle/Emitter - remains stationary. The Second third can be shifted up to 5" either to the Left or Right from its starting position. The Final Third can, If the controlling player so desires, then be shifted a Further 5" From where the Second Part finished its shift move but must follow in the same direction.

Incandescent Deflagration: For all intents and Purposes, this rule acts like Deflagrate but with a few differences:

1.  Automatic Hits caused by Unsaved Wounds caused by Deflagrate and/or Incandescent Deflagration are resolved at S10 Ap1 Rather than S:D Ap1.
  2. While otherwise Unaffected by Deflagrate, Vehicles are now subject to additional Automatic Hits caused by Unsaved Hullpoint losses.
  3. Should an infantry model be removed from play as a Casualty due to the Additional Automatic Hits caused by the Deflagrate USR, Place a 3" blast marker over the model. All models covered by the marker take an additional, S6 Ap5 Blind hit. Models removed from play as casualties due to this part of the rule do not, themselves, cause any additional hits under any circumstance.

This is the main, rough beyond measure, idea for the Weapon. Was thinking of calling it the "Volkite Eradicator"

Edited by Slipstreams

Personally, I'm not a fan of things coming with a whole heap of special rules. I think Blind, Soul Blaze and Melta are unnecessary, imo, considering some of the special rules this thing has are customised rules. The power and area of effect the weapon has all but nullifies the need for those three special rules, I think.

Personally, I'm not a fan of things coming with a whole heap of special rules. I think Blind, Soul Blaze and Melta are unnecessary, imo, considering some of the special rules this thing has are customised rules. The power and area of effect the weapon has all but nullifies the need for those three special rules, I think.

True, I considered not putting them in but nothing say "Die Xenos/Traitor/Loyalist Scum" like metric Tons of Overkill :P

I also went for a slightly more realistic representation of what the Beam would do to anything it contacts via the rules; thus why it has Melta, Soul Blaze and Blind.

Melta: explained it already. Generates Silly amount of Heat. Stuff should melt if its not equipped to deal with it.

Blind: Its a giant lazer beam. Eye balls will burn in their sockets, if not literally at least figuratively.

Soul Blaze: Whether or not you survived the beam, you're probably on fire anyways.

Besides, if this gun alone costs 300ish points to field (minus the chassis its going to go on) and is +/- reserved for Apocalypse Games, I dont see the harm in the absurd amount of "Vanilla" USRs being slapped on :P

I kinda agree that a massive, apoc-only, 300p Volkite cannon should have a bunch of rules to show how ridiculously powerful it is. Melta, Blind and Soul Blaze are fine imo, as are the first two parts of the extended Deflagerate rules. But nr 3 is a bit weird if you ask me, and it will probably be a pain to actually use in-game.

Out of curiosity though, is it supposed to represent the bodies of the dead exploding from being over-choomed? Beacuse that´s the only thing I can imagine now. :tongue.:

I like the idea of a hurrichoom battery (volkite calivers instead of bolters on a hurricane bolter array).

3 twin linked calivers on each side...mmmmh. Although chargers might be more balanced but harder to use.

I kinda agree that a massive, apoc-only, 300p Volkite cannon should have a bunch of rules to show how ridiculously powerful it is. Melta, Blind and Soul Blaze are fine imo, as are the first two parts of the extended Deflagerate rules. But nr 3 is a bit weird if you ask me, and it will probably be a pain to actually use in-game.

Out of curiosity though, is it supposed to represent the bodies of the dead exploding from being over-choomed? Beacuse that´s the only thing I can imagine now. :tongue.:

Yes it is :biggrin.: Though I probably could have made them just explode from after dying to the beam instead of dying from Deflagrate. Could have worded it better, for sure. The intent is there but the translation of the idea wasnt done all that well :tongue.:

But then, it would have made the basic Deflagrate Rule for the Weapon a bit wonkier if they happen at the same time and targets of the beam exploding into S10 Ap1 Small blasts would have made it a bit sillier than it already is, imo.

Thought that making them separate things that happen one after the other would have made it flow a bit better.

Edited by Slipstreams

I feel like I've finally come home....

It's a wonderful feeling, entering a chamber lit and heated by the CHOOOMing of one's foes, where the greatest artisans, purveyors and enthusiasts of the most glorious martian death rays exchange ideas, stories and their unbridled love of bringing glorious exotic-particle based annihilation upon those who irritate them. 

Like the vikings of old, encamped around a great fire under the eyes of the gods, sharing tales of glory, courage and honour, we too so honour each other, our wargear, and that glorious, half-insane inventor in the lost history of mankind who first decided, "Choom is a good sound, I should make a gun which produces that noise."