I'm just going to drop these here...and solicit feedback.

Inquistion Themed Objective Markers (1-6)

Inquisiton Themed Objective Markers (1,2,2,3,3,4)

Is this sort of item interesting?  Needed?  Wanted?  How would you make changes?  What personalizations would you like to see on them?

EDIT:  Minor typographical corrections.

That's encouraging, to say the least.  I should have some BA and Necron (*gasp* for a friend, I pormise!) ones in hand to acutally photograph fairly soon.

EDIT : I still cannot spell.

It is probably just me, but I generally don't like the chips, coins and dice objective markers.

I know they are easy to spot on the table, but I feel that is because they are out of place. My preference is for objective markers that pull me into the story of the game.

The objectives I made are a couple of models that are posed stoically and painted up to look like statues. They are on TDA size bases and stand twice the hight of infantry.

So like good objective markers they are clear and easy to spot. Unfortunately they are not numbered, so we still end up putting dice next to them. Which I guess is something I need to work on this weekend.

ValourousHeart, I definitely agree with you insofar as objective markers that pull players into the story are better. At the tournament I attended a couple weekends ago, as we were fighting over chips, my opponent was complaining about how it didn't feel right that his dreadknight would just sit on the objective and not move. But, if that objective had been some sacred shrine or wounded brethren, I think it would be much more meaningful.

That said, as a stop-gap while I build meaningful markers, I think the coins are nice.

On your own board (or one in your club, something you have invested time in), definitely using nice custom markers is the way to go. But if it's a pick up game at the FLGS, the coins or chips are probably the best way to go, they're space efficient, easy to recognize, and effectively mark the objective. Having representative objectives is nice, but hard to do, since it could turn out to be anything with mysterious objectives. One of the things I do, is put objectives near things and if you control the objective, you control whatever thingamajig it's next to.

@Cactus Yes, a Cog-skull variant (the coin edge will be the cogs) is in the works.

@Nicodemus Doloroso They are up for print in the store.  Try a set out!

The feedback is great, guys.  Thanks for your time.  Other colors are available, I chose the black, white and red because of the classic Inquisition colors (and ease of paining, for black and white).  I can unlock and price different colors, if requested.

Personally, I used red poker chips with number sharpied on one side.  I have custom made 40 MM base markers, but the necessity of something numbered, that I could flip over, led me down that path.  Easier to pack up and more resilient helps.  Easily being able to see all the markers from just  bout anywhere is also nice.

I am currently working on Blood Angel and Necron (heresy!) variants.  They should be up, soon.

On your own board (or one in your club, something you have invested time in), definitely using nice custom markers is the way to go. But if it's a pick up game at the FLGS, the coins or chips are probably the best way to go, they're space efficient, easy to recognize, and effectively mark the objective. Having representative objectives is nice, but hard to do, since it could turn out to be anything with mysterious objectives. One of the things I do, is put objectives near things and if you control the objective, you control whatever thingamajig it's next to.

Are you really going to tell your opponent that they can’t use the objective markers they made because this is a pick up game at a (not so) FLGS?

I am not sure if you are joking about the "hard to do because of mysterious objectives." Narrative-wise objectives could be anything from finding the commander's contact lenses to securing a titan factory. But we aren’t talking about the narrative objective, we are talking about the objective marker, which is simply the device that indicates where on the table the narrative objective is.

The device you use could be anything from dice, poker chips, models, snacks or any other myriad of bric-a-brac you have available. My argument is that in the same way that the "Coke Bottle Carnafex" spoils the aesthetics of the game, so do dice and poker chips used as objective markers.

I think a more legitimate argument against using these more creative solutions is the cost of such items. Some people use school books for hills, not because they don't make hills you can buy or because it is so hard to make a hill, but because that person decided that buying a hill is not a priority. Also GW also sells the Honored Imperium which is a set of models that are intended by GW to be used as objectives markers.

So there are plenty of things you can use, and you are welcome to use any of them.

But for me personally I think a table looks best when both armies are painted, the terrain has a theme to its look and placement, and the objective markers look like they are part of scenery.

And well a pictures worth a thousand words.

med_gallery_8790_11014_563575.jpg

med_gallery_8790_11014_613367.jpg

I think you’ll find that these meet all of your requirements except possibly space efficient. But why does it matter to you how much space it takes up in my case. And really these aren’t unwieldy; I simply slid them in between my tanks. They take what is effectively the size of a assault marine or terminator.

You bring up a valid point about the mysterious objectives. Am I going to tell someone they can't use markers they made? Of course not, I'm simply saying that if it came down to having ornate objective markers or simple markers in my army case, I'd take the simple ones with me, because they save space. 

In my games at home, we usually use a piece of terrain as a narrative objective, only using dice to mark what number it is for Maelstrom missions. If it's an eternal war mission we just assign the objectives to terrain. I like the idea of the statues, and they're beautifully done. 

One of my friends made numbered Objecive markers out of tau drone bases and used servo skulls as the "point" of the objective. They looked like they belonged on the board, as it makes sense you'd use servo skulls to mark an objective. I'm probably going to do that. 

It's your hobby, do what makes you happy, I'm not trying to get in the way. I was just throwing my 2 cents out there.

With the introduction of Maelstrom of War and the mission where objectives are worth different ppoints, I found my old Space Marine casualty markers woefully inadequate.  They looked great, were easy to see, but inevitably we lost track of which one was which.  That's when I went to the red poker chips.  No muss, no fuss, no arguments or lamenting over which was the 1 and which was the 4.  My best friend made new markers that incorporated a number of skulls into the base (Skulls for the Skull Throne!, innit?).  Again beautiful models, and I love seeing them on the table.  This is simply another (premade) option for those that like this sort of personalized aid.  And thay CAN be personalized.  For example, I just added the metallic plastic option to the list.

• 2 months later...

Archived