What To Do With Reclusiam Command Squad

So Im really new to the hobby I have:

10 man assault squad (two meltas and power fist)

10 man tactical squad (heavy flamer, flamer, and hand flamer on serg.)

5 man sanguinary guard (glaives on all and angelus bolters on all but melta on serg.)

and Now Ive just bought the Reclusiam Command Squad. 

Im planning on a razorback, chaplain, and five more tactical marines 

Right now they're planned as one melta and an infernus pistol on the serg. with normal bolters on the remaining 3.

I'm planning to have melta and flamer alternatives depending on who i go against (though I'd prefer to have lower AP stuff)

so.... how should I equip the razorback, and is my plan for the 5 tactical marines a good one?

Thanks all

Sounds good to me brother.

You need a second troop slot and a HQ, so with this box you can run a fully legal BSF army.

+HQ+ Chaplain

+Elites+ Sanguinary Guard

+Troops+ 5x Tac squad [Razorback], 10x Tac Squad

+Fast+ 10x Assault squad.

Looks a pretty sound starter army to me. :)

I would reccomend getting a couple of boxes of Death Company next. Give them jump pack and team them up with the Chaplain for a fast and nasty CC unit.

5 man sanguinary guard (glaives on all and angelus bolters on all but melta on serg.)

Right now they're planned as one melta and an infernus pistol on the serg. with normal bolters on the remaining 3.

I'm planning to have melta and flamer alternatives depending on who i go against (though I'd prefer to have lower AP stuff)

so.... how should I equip the razorback, and is my plan for the 5 tactical marines a good one?

Thanks all

Wait, are you equipping the command squad with " melta and an infernus pistol on the serg. with normal bolters on the remaining 3."?

Dont forget you need a company champion and apothecary.

Consider getting a jump pack for the chaplain so he can roll with the assault squad or sanguinary guard.

You really need some longer range punch, so maybe TLLC on the razor? You could always make it as a rhino, and go with 5 assault marines with 2xplasma in a free rhino?

Thanks all

Wait, are you equipping the command squad with " melta and an infernus pistol on the serg. with normal bolters on the remaining 3."?

I think he's making the Command Squad into 5 Tac marines.

I would recommend magnetising the Razorback so you can switch between the TLHB and the TLLC when needed. Also, paint the flat roof as all Razorback kits come with the option to make a Rhino. This gives you three tank options from one box and is an excellent start point.

Personally, I'm eying up the boxset too as I want/need(?) a new Chaplain with an interchangeable arm and can always do with another Rhino/Razorback. The Command Squad I'm not too fussed about so they may well become bits or something else.

Tactics-wise, you have two options with this box really. The first is to assemble it as it is and then use the relevant Formation (found in C:SM or as a standalone purchase from the Black Library/GW website). Really, this is a counter-attack unit. However, if I were to use this Formation, I would take them on bikes and give them all grav guns...

The second way is to assimilate it into your force like you are planning to.

Thanks all

I think he's making the Command Squad into 5 Tac marines.

I...dont think it comes with 5 bolter arms? Although you should have enough spare from the BA tactical squad.

Yeah so I have a bunch of bits from the BA Tactical Squad I have, as well as the DC box I used with a box of assault marines to make a ten man squad that looks a little more Blood Angel-ish. Thats hows I'm making them into five tactical marines. 

Also I understand that magnetizing the Razorback is probably a good idea, but just because I haven't done it yet I'm a little ambivalent. Why would I choose to use a TLHB vs TLLC?

I would personally recommend building it as a command squad, which you can use the apothecary as a decent stand in for a sanguinary priest, and the company champ as a captian if needed as well. It really comes down to if you plq n on using the models in every game though.

Also I understand that magnetizing the Razorback is probably a good idea, but just because I haven't done it yet I'm a little ambivalent. Why would I choose to use a TLHB vs TLLC?

I have 3, all with TLLC. Expencive, but we BA players need some decent high str, long range firepower, so I find its worth the points.

Points, higher volume of fire, heavy bolters are ace.

Always loved HB, enmasse they really do some work on almost anything in the game. They also seemingly post no threat to the opponent.

"TLLC? Big and scary gun that will one shot my Hammerhead!" thinks the Tau Commander.

"TLHB? Bah, I can lose a few Kroot/ Fire Warriors! Target thier other tanks!" also thinks the Tau Commander.

Meanwhile, your TLHB scores three hits 99% of the time and then usually wounds on two of them against MEQ. While not always resulting in a wound, the 1/2's they do roll hurt, especially when it was "just a heavy bolter".

Pretty much that. A TLHB is low priority even though it's going to chip away at stuff. Xenos love it and I adore cause Eldar units to break following HB casualties.

Additionally, if the Bolterback is going to slip under the radar, then so is the cargo. When playing mech, I use this line of reasoning to put my Death Company inside a Bolterback and a Tactical squad inside a Plaserback as it increases the chance of your DC getting closer to the enemy.

If you're going to drop points on upgrading the razorback I'd consider the las/plas. Since we're fast you can move 12" and still fire both weapons at full BS, making the most out of the rule. Also brings some decent S and low ap shots. The assault cannon is decent too, being able to move 12" and shoot gives it an threat range of 36", not to be sniffed at.

D

D

Thanks for all the input guys. This is really a tough decision I think I'll have to magnetize then, it'll be helpful to have the flexibility and then I can try out some different setups, also is the Plasma-Lascannon turret just on forge world??

Thanks again

It's in you're bits box ;) but if you're new to the hobby, yeah 3rd party and such!

Archived