Has anybody ever ran an IG/AM infantry heavy army?

Has anybody ever ran an IG/AM infantry heavy army?

While tanks are ace to use, they can be unlucky and be destroyed very quick leaving the user with a big disadvantage.

Would you think that instead of (for example) running a tank for anti armor purposes, you could instead run a 5 squad infantry platoon with LC in each?

This would mean that each LC has effectively 8 shields before they are hit (unless template or arty hit etc) 5 squads = 40 bodies in the way.

I know that the IG are squishy but 40 bodies in the way of 5 LC rather than 1 tank?

Has anybody had any exp of this?

Sponge

I read an article written by a competitive tournament player thinking along those lines, maybe it will help you:

Mr.MoreTanks’ 40k Thoughts! Guard Primary, Can it Work? https://www.frontlinegaming.org/2015/02/06/mr-moretanks-40k-thoughts-guard-primary-can-it-work/

The core of the army is 3 blobs of infantry, one which filled is with flamers and power axes to run at the enemy, and 2 platoons with 4 lascannon squads to sit back and receive ignore cover/ tank hunter orders.

Seems like a pretty cool way to play honestly.

Oh Spongy, if only you knew... 5 infantry squads is infantry heavy perhaps for Marines ;) If you want infantry heavy with Guard then you fill the table with troops! :lol:

Hiding HWTs in squads is effective, even more so if you combine squads. It also lets you issue orders effectively, letting you blast away with multiple lascannons supported by a vox network or if you must blind people with FSFSRF. To retain some flexibility (and more equivalent points to a tank) what about squads of 20? Taken across 2 Platoons for your minimum Troops that's 2+ squads of 20, each with a vox and 2 HWTs of your choice to blast away.

If you go the whole hog and take more squads then you could also outfit them to be a bit more flexible, for example a couple of flamers in each unit would give them some close range punch for a relatively small cost.

That frontline article is awesome.  I think I might have enough lasgun guardsmen models to build it, or at least come close. 

This is another take on the giant infantry blob idea:

http://cadiascreed40k.blogspot.com/2014/07/astra-militarum-tactics-human-wave.html

I don't have enough models to make this one yet, but it sounds really fun.

i run an all infantry am list minus my counts as wyvern mortar diarama and two artillery carriages which numbers close to 200troopers it can and does indeed work with lots of vets and two p latoons   it also includes 12 lascannons 9 melta guns 8 grenade launchers and 6 flamers  and rough riders

The biggest blockade to running pure infantry is painting time. The second is transportation; as is I fill my BF bag with literally one complete Infantry Platoon and a squad of Veterans! wacko.png

My army is mostly infantry. and that's where most of the killing power comes in for me. While I have a couple of Chimeras and a couple of Taurox primes, my army is primarily an air assault army.

I've played pure infantry quite a few times now (at least half a dozen, if not ten or so times) and I've got to say, its a blast.

As far as your lascannon topic goes though, I used to agree with it and I'm now not so sure. I typically blob up my minimum squads with las and flamers but I don't take more than that and I've never felt I needed more, or less. For advancing men, conscripts+ministorum priest are really the way to go. If you want leadership improvement, for orders, go with psykers or commissars (its also a perfect place for inquisitors.) Melee blobs (flamers, meltabombs, and power axes) are great but horribly expensive by IG standards and aren't as good as conscripts (point for point) unless their going up against +2 armor saves.

Forgeworld is what really makes IG infantry waves shine. Artillery batteries (medusas and basilisks), rapiers (which are 5x better than lascannon teams), and thudd guns (for tougher wyvern analogs) gives you all the firepower you really need and you're only held back by a lack of heavy support slots. I usually take one of each.

What infantry IG struggles with is advancing. For that, I recommend allies or stormtroopers. Even a single squad deep striking in the enemies back field and then hiding makes its points back in Linebreaker.

Finally, like WarriorFish stated, boys before toys. If you're ever forced to chose between another squad and some upgrades, take the squad.

This is probably a dumb question... 

For Vox rerolls, the sending and receiving unit both need a Vox right?
(pretty sure I was using Vox wrong a while back and was corrected on here)

So... if I run Yarrick or Lord Commisar as my HQ order giver guy, I cannot use Vox?

You can if you put him in a unit that has a vox caster.

Ah I gotcha... good deal

So if I had two platoons (ran as two giant blob units), Lord attached to first, Yarrick attached to second.  Vox purchased on first, vox purchased on second.

Lord orders second blob, Yarrick orders first blob... that would give rerolls right?  

So... if I run Yarrick or Lord Commisar as my HQ order giver guy, I cannot use Vox?

Lord Commissar cannot give orders, he lacks the Voice of Command Rule, you can give him that rule but it's a 1 in 6 chance that you'll get the warlord trait that does that. 

Lord Commissar cannot give orders, he lacks the Voice of Command Rule, you can give him that rule but it's a 1 in 6 chance that you'll get the warlord trait that does that. 

Ok, cool.  I've never ran a Lord so not as familiar w/ his rules as I should be.

I'm taking inventory of my models, I'm basically limited by lasgun models.  

Right now I have enough for 7 squads w/ a lascannon.

I was thinking huge blob of 5 squads w/ LC.

Small blob of 2 squads w/ LC.

I have the bits to assemble two more lascannons, and the lasgun models to make two more squads... but instead I was thinking of going with 2x Chimeras with vets inside.  Either 2 or 3 meltaguns per vet squad.  

Just made that list in battlescribe, I'm at 1050 points.  

Two wyverns gets the cost up to 1180.  

Not sure where to go from here, not sure what point value I'm shooting for either.  Probably 1250.

Inspired by this thread, I gathered up my models this weekend... this is what I came up with.

med_gallery_85038_10724_182204.jpg

(forgive my unpainted ugly models... I'm working on it! smile.png )

2 full platoons, 5 squads each with a heavy weapon team.
It won't be wysiwyg.

Two of the following:
Platoon command

4x flamer

Platoon w/ 5 squads - 5 lascannons

One company command squad

4x grenade launcher

Master of ordnance

I have enough models for two more 10 man squads. I was thinking:

Two of the following

Vet squad - 3 meltagun - riding in chimera (multilas / heavy flamer)

Thoughts? Not sure what point total I will be playing this week.

I'm working on the paint :)  Gotta find the spare time... and quite a bit of prep work left.  Cadian mold lines are kinda terrible, and I have to drill all those barrels.

I was wondering if two platoons is the way to go vs one platoon with 40+ conscripts. 

The armies I play against are Blood Angels and Necrons.

The BA are melee heavy of course. 

The Necrons normally eat my tanks with their scarabs and wraiths.

Was thinking maybe I bog their scariest melee down with the conscripts + priest. 

a tip/suggestion for painting pick one color at a time like on an assembly line ,,,example all your troopers have black boots paint one squad then the next and so forth  by the time you're ready for the next color the first unit will be dry

I did mine in batches, by squad. I'm not satisfied with the level of quality if I try to mass-spray and I find doing anything more than 10 at a time tends to burn me out fast. By doing a squad at a time, I can see the results build up incrementally and it bolsters me to keep going. Also, I stagger projects; I'll do a unit of infantry (which is tiring), then follow it up with a tank or character to refresh myself. But that's what works for me, you have to find your own style to get stuff done! happy.png

Archived