new hh salamanders novel

hummus

It's good so far, nothing bad or unacceptable has happened. Curze is unaccounted for, but it follows on from both Vulkan Lives and Unremembered Empire, as well as things like 'Censure'. It's no Tallarn: Executioner or Prospero Burns or A Thousand Sons, but it is good.

Censure?....is thiel in it?!

Finished it last night! definitely one of the better HH books to have come out recently, feels like we are finally getting somewhere in the overall time frame! and the end I thought was awesome!!

and looks like Vulkan was on Terra after all :)

The novel has a lot of FW ideas at play: volkites of multiple classes, destroyers and more all get more than a nod here, not as product placement, but as evidence of a built-up world. Also cool to see is the corruption taking hold of the Death Guard and the Word Bearers - building on Unremembered Empire with the latter - and Kyme's attempts to distinguish the very distinctive characters of the Legions. It's a pretty cool moment when, given a random set of scout armour by Thiel's squad, Numeon goes to town making it beautifully crafted as his way to recreate.

Also mysterious Sigilite Knight. And Blackshielding biggrin.png

And also nice touches like red hair and stylistic differences in the fashion Nocturnians...is this how Kyme writes them in 40k too?

Finished it last night! definitely one of the better HH books to have come out recently, feels like we are finally getting somewhere in the overall time frame! and the end I thought was awesome!!

and looks like Vulkan was on Terra after all smile.png

Could you PM me all the spoilers, please? :)

Could you PM me all the spoilers, please? smile.png

me too.

WLK

Could you PM me all the spoilers, please? smile.png

Do not click on the spoiler link below if you dont wanna know what happens at the end :)

Basically, They get Vulkan back to Nocturne and throw him into mount death fire and nothing happens until numeon goes off and sacrifices himself and that brings vulkan back, but prior to the sallies going out to look for numeon, they had been preparing to go to Terra to re-inforce it, but then they find vulkan alive on the ground and well with his mind intact, and from there it looks like they will travel to terra with Vulkan intact etc...etc... really liked the end of it!

Yeah for one of Kyme's it was pretty good I thought! the middle yes kinda dragged a small bit, but over all I was really happy with it! and the end I was like ooooooooooooooh hell no!!! tongue.png probably one of my favourite endings!

Loaded question - should I get this if I couldn't bear to finish Vulkan Lives?

I would say not to. 

Vulkan Lives is the first of a three part "trilogy" Kyme has planned for the HH Salamanders. Deathfire is the second part.

If the first was a struggle (completely understandable), then I would advise against the second.

WLK

I love that the Salamanders turned out to be nothing but a splinter legion led by Magnus and the Thousand Sons. Numeon was a corpse that Magnus took control over and heroically led to save his brother. It was really nice when I realized I wasn't reading a Salamanders book, but a Magnus led adventure.

I love that the Salamanders turned out to be nothing but a splinter legion led by Magnus and the Thousand Sons. Numeon was a corpse that Magnus took control over and heroically led to save his brother. It was really nice when I realized I wasn't reading a Salamanders book, but a Magnus led adventure.

Are you for real? I cant tell if that is sarcasm or not.

WLK

I gotta admit, I'm struggling through this. I just got to the part where Numeon & Co. have an audience with the Primarchs on Macragge and good lord, it's enough for me to join Hyaenidae's camp and forget the Primarchs.

Last time I've seen them portrayed so stupidly was, well, Vulkan Lives. Between Kyme, Thorpe, Swallow, French, McNeil, and Wraight, I'm really starting to feel like there is some Primarch Curse that prevents anyone from writing them as anything but frothing dumb :cuss es. Some of those authors write stuff about Legionaries that I find fascinating, good reads. But hand them a Primarch and it all falls apart.

I know it smacks of fanboyism, but the last book to have what I felt was a decent Primarch depiction that wasn't written by Abnett or A D-B was A Thousand Sons, written five years and over twenty books/anthologies ago.

I gotta admit, I'm struggling through this. I just got to the part where Numeon & Co. have an audience with the Primarchs on Macragge and good lord, it's enough for me to join Hyaenidae's camp and forget the Primarchs.

Last time I've seen them portrayed so stupidly was, well, Vulkan Lives. Between Kyme, Thorpe, Swallow, French, McNeil, and Wraight, I'm really starting to feel like there is some Primarch Curse that prevents anyone from writing them as anything but frothing dumb censored.gif es. Some of those authors write stuff about Legionaries that I find fascinating, good reads. But hand them a Primarch and it all falls apart.

I know it smacks of fanboyism, but the last book to have what I felt was a decent Primarch depiction that wasn't written by Abnett or A D-B was A Thousand Sons, written five years and over twenty books/anthologies ago.

Out of curiosity, why is Wraight on that list of cursed Primarchs?

WLK

Archived