Clerics WiP Successor Chapter - We're back!

Father Mehman

Liber Challenge VII

Chapter Name:

Clerics

Descended From:

Dark Angels; Guardians of the Covenant

Founding Date:

14th Founding (180.M35)

Descendants:

None

Chapter History:

The Clerics, a successor of the Guardians of the Covenant- themselves progeny of the mighty Dark Angels- came into being during the 14th Founding (180.M35) instead of being excommunicated by their progenitor. Given a derelict and commanded to assist with an Explorator expedition, their first foray into the Empyrean was almost their last. Even though their vessel was shielded by an optimal Gellar Field, eldritch horrors assailed them throughout the voyage. Only the areas in which the marines were present did the living nightmares not tread for there are things which even they fear in the galaxy. The Daemonic bane was also the reason the group of warriors were almost excommunicated: the study and practice of the hermetic arts. It was with prejudice and ignorance that they were labeled users of Warp-craft and were sent away from their brothers. Although none of the marines were psychically attuned, they seemingly were able to calm the churning waters of the Warp. Grim determination set about them and the ship was cleansed and reclaimed in their name. For ones almost accused of heresy, they held onto their new-found knowledge with a certain zealousness and created themselves anew- the Clerics would forge ahead and tend to the galaxy as they saw fit.

As the ages passed, the Clerics furthered their study of all things occult. Where once knowledge was hidden, they tore away the veil and grew more steeped in the lore they cherished. Their hunger came with a steep cost. Daemons of the Warp that were once content with their demigod-like internecine squabbles noticed these upstarts of order and pounced, trying to shut the light out of the darkness. The study and pursuit of knowledge became as dangerous as the machinations of the Great Enemy as the simplest slip of a quill was enough to unleash a Greater Daemon of Nurgle into their midst. The monastic order learned to trust in their ancestors as they were humbled greatly by the event. Vowing ever more oaths of penance for that grave error, they continue their dangerous practices because, in the end, if the Clerics are to prevail against the Nightmares of Man, they must become the dawn.

The most recent engagement where the Clerics have been instrumental was the Second War for Unification of the Drowned Planets (aka, The Shifting Ways War). When the beleaguered Imperial Forces found themselves surrounded by horrid, pestilent Traitorous Forces, all thought hope was lost. On the day that their destruction was imminent, high-yield cannon shells began raining down around Camp Last Thorn and then the Cleric’s Second Company, the Khamasin, swirled around the Imperial encampment, totaling the highest kill-to-death ratio seen in the entire campaign. After action reports state that the mechanized force withdrew before contact could be established.

Battle Cry:

Call: "As the Sphinx!"

Response: "To know, to will, to dare, to keep silent!"

Notable Characters:

Hierophant Eudocimus

When the Great Error occurred in the Cleric’s history and the Greater Daemon of Nurgle, who wished to be known as Papa Atha’Agana, tore free from his imprisonment, the Chapter was not ready. As his brothers fought and died on either side of him, Lexicanum Eudocimus tapped into his Will and refused to give in to death at the hands of the putrescent filth.

Remembering bits and pieces of the largely forgotten Great Work that the Chapter once faced excommunication for, the future Chief Librarian of the Clerics slew his way to one of the blessed tomes. After he spoke the 52 Barbarous Names contained within the simple, leather-bound book, silence broke over the cacophonous dirge of horrors and the din of battle.

From the Great Error came great reformation within the Chapter. All Battle-Brothers were again required to study and participate in the Great Work, the Magnum Opus, as it proved itself a bane against the Daemon. The Librarium’s denizens, over time, became hermits, zealously guarding the most occult of the Clerics’ collected works. No change was done cosmetically. As Epistolary Eudocimus took the mantle of Hierophant several decades later, he saw the changes wrought in his Chapter and he was content.

Vizier Orphiel

Often called Saint Orphiel for the miracles associated after his presumed death, the once-Reclusiarch was instrumental in claiming the Clerics’ Fortress-Monastery on Oran IV shortly after their derelict was waylaid in the Warp during early-M35. It was he who ultimately claimed their city upon the hill, as if it were foretold, in a long mountain chain on their new desert home world.

As his squad neared the cyclopean doors of the building, a battle broke about the slumbering mountains. Fierce fighting ensued against the Great Enemy with Reclusiarch Orphiel barely able to grapple the Greater Daemon who inhabited the structure with its children. Lilting laughter filled the range and the remaining marines thought their leader lost.

With a resounding roar that fractured stone around the mortal warrior, Orphiel slammed the Daemon across his knee, destroying it utterly. Their mental and psychic anguish so excruciating, the lesser Daemons gave a great cry and tore at their once beautiful, corporeal forms until naught was left but ash. The citadel was taken in the name of the Clerics, a torch in the encroaching darkness.

Colour Scheme and Chapter Symbol:

med_gallery_83709_11112_10356.jpgmed_gallery_83709_11112_12107.jpg

@GMB- And a thank you, good sir :biggrin.:!

@jbaeza94- I don't really know what to say to that. Thank you for making me feel like I'm doing something that matters, mate.

Funny how a post from someone you don't know can get you by the throat and make you want to cry.

They say no news is good news. They weren't talking about the Clerics :cool.:! WAAAH! Who are you? Who, who...

Now that the cheesy Who intro is over (which I won't be making a normal thing. You're welcome :wink:), let us get on to some news. I decided to prime some models even though it's dreadful outside. Don't tell the wife but I just opened the kitchen door, held the model a little outside, and sprayed out the house. I got them back in quick enough so that no damage will be done considering it's 90-something humidity and raining. Well, at least I hope nothing bad will happen.

What does that mean? It means I aim to paint something that's not an Imperial Guard model. I love my boys in camouflage but enough is enough! That reminds me that I have some things soaking in paint stripper. Eh, they'll be alright right now. Welcome to Saturday: the day of not being able to stay on track! Yay :biggrin.:!

As I was saying, or trying to say, I'll be painting some more Clerics. The test model showed me some things to do differently than I had been doing and also helped me on painting Base skin colour instead of silly caucasian. Emperor, I didn't know every person in the far future was the same complexion as myself. I'll have to go back through my notes and also on this thread to see if I put down the recipe. I'm 99.95% sure I remember it. Hmm. These marines don't have any skin showing so it doesn't matter, anyway.

Other than the painting news (yes, I'll take pictures), I wrote the above description of the Clerics for the Seventh Liber Challenge. Seeing as how that didn't go as planned, I thought I had wasted my time. I don't get a lot of free time to do fun things anymore because, you know, genetic syndrome, so that really bummed me out. While I was pretty low, my fingers got to poking about the computer. It seems that the format for the Brotherhood of Angels was typed-out and saved. For those of you that don't know, the Brotherhood of Angels was a challenge about writing out an Unforgiven Successor Chapter's biography that was held this Summer. Anyway, I loved the format for it then so much that I wrote it out for future reference.

I referenced it and my mind exploded back into happy mode :happy.:! An idea was produced by said explosion: I should use the Brotherhood of Angels bio as an Index Astartes, er, thing. It has all the information that an IA has but without the weight of responsibility. So, brothers and sisters, that's what I've been doing for the past few days now. How is it coming along? Pretty well, thank you for asking. I'll post it up here when I'm finished if anyone wants a read. Let me know if anyone wants the Belial Index Astartes Format (BIAF) and I'll also post that.

Alright, that's it. Thanks for tuning in and reading. We all had a far out time, man!

Good morning, brothers and sisters! It's time for a small update for the Clerics.

As I said in my post last week, I've primed a few models and their armour has been basecoated and given a thorough wash of Seraphim Sepia. You'll be able to make them out in just a minute.

Anyway, the real reason for the update is to let everyone know that I petitioned the Clerics for aid against the Traitorous Forces. Apparently, a desperate war has been flung upon our Imperial allies and cousin Astartes near the Black Templar forum. Check out this poster I found for more information. It seemed only fitting that the progeny of the Lion be involved. Who kills Traitors better than the Unforgiven :happy.:?

They replied to me through a dream. Sounds like an 80's fantasy movie, no? Well, in this dream, pieces of armour, bathed in light, floated on an unseen axis. A Watcher in the Dark was there, too, pointing at the black panoply of war. Words began to form in my mind; powerful words. They would send reinforcement but they would need time. An Interrogator-Chaplain was on his way.

I tried my best to recreate the vision on my humble desk. In the centre you'll find the aforementioned Interrogator-Chaplain, as best as can be approximated, and in the upper-right corner you'll be able to just make out some other Clerics.

med_gallery_83709_11112_38984.jpg

The time for war has come again. Will you join?

I will join.

I've seen this coming for a long time and was reluctant to answer. It's time to make amends.

Who else will join us on this noble course for the Lion? 

I'm sure the Black Templars will have no qualms at all accepting aid from a son of the Lion :tongue.:

Just kidding - can't wait to see him assembled and painted!

I see what you did there and I like it :wink:!

I'm sure the Black Templars will have no qualms at all accepting aid from a son of the Lion :tongue.:

Whether they like us or not, is not important.

There may be Fallen amongst those who follow the Call. Though we do not know how many will answer the Call and fulfill their oaths, there is still a slim chance that the Templar and their allies will win the day.

Should we risk that some Fallen are taken prisoner?

No... No survivors! No witnesses!

If I survive I'll harvest their gene-seed so we shall know whose names to add to the book of Salvation.

Hear ye, hear ye, ladies and gentlemen: it's update time :happy.:!

Some of you may have seen this writing challenge on the forum. I urge you to take part even if you think your writing isn't up to code. There are a few reasons why I think you should participate:

1. You get to practice your writing in a low-stress environment. Listen, not everyone is an Orwell, Cook, or Abercrombie. So what? We'll help you out with any C&C you need.

2. You'll have some fluff about your Unforgiven Chapter that you care about- not just some random musings in your head. If you don't know where to start, post some rambling thoughts on the above linked thread (it's the main Brotherhood of Angels thread) and someone will help you out. That's what we're about in this forum.

3. I promise you that it'll boost your confidence and get your creativity flowing. Think of it this way: your work will be available for all to see and it'll be good. How do I know that it will be a fun read? It's because you have a story to tell and that, in itself, is beautiful.

Alright, I did say it was update time and, given that there's a new writing challenge, you'll get the first look at what I've been mulling over. It's an outline but you'll get it, ladies and gentlemen. Why? Because you're inherently intelligent and, also, outlines are fun to read.

Past I

- Heru'Ra Aquinas and [Mentor] on a distant planet

+ Looking for a lost archive

+ Pine forested area with light snow

- They come to a building after [Mentor] pauses and cocks his head

+ Derelict building with snow banks piled high

+ Aquinas feels a psychic pang

- Too excited for further investigation

+ His excitement draws to a quick close when images of death come to his senses

- Skulls seen, smoke smelt, wailing heard, heat felt, copper tasted

+ It is an unusual feeling that he has not experienced before

- [Mentor] was trying to communicate the importance of the pang to him

- A sudden bang from a centuries old shudder jolts him back to his senses

- The duo enter the structure

+ The light snow that was falling earlier begins to pick up its pace as they cross the

threshold

+ [Mentor] begins to speak oddly to his charge

- “Have you ever seen the Daemon, lad?” [Mentor] asked the Eremite Scout.

Wanting to impress his master by saying something in the affirmative after all their

years together, Aquinas thought hard about his training and came up empty with

any example of the Arch Enemy.

“No, Master,” he said, the feeling of yet another failure to show his aptitude welling

inside him. The charge looked at his tutor and was puzzled. He had pulled back his

hood and stood looking out of the ruined window that illuminated the small room.

“Maybe some day, then. Some day.”

+ Aquinas finds what looks like a ruined tome

- He can feel a calming warmth emanating from the book

- With book in hand, he turns to his mentor who places his hand on the Librarian

Scout’s shoulder.

+ “This battered book brought us here for a reason, lad. Do you understand what I

say?”

Aquinas thought about his master’s words carefully. Through their time together,

the young Librarian Scout had learned much from his tutor in the ways of the

Great Work: his mental strength had improved tenfold, his senses were sharper

than any regular scout’s, and he had learned how to bend the Warp to his Will.

The Eremite-in-training could now add his epiphany of Fate to the lessons he had

learned.

His eyes large with a correct answer, Aquinas said to [Mentor], “I do now, Master. I

truly do.”

The Eremite grunted his approval and pushed the tome onto his charge’s chest.

“This is yours and yours alone. Remember, Heru’Ra, when we repeat the Sacred

Response of ‘to know, to will, to dare, to keep silent’, that you follow those

meanings until the day you go to the Primarch’s table.”

+ “Through all our years together, you’ve shown great strides in learning what I had

asked of you. You acquitted yourself well against the Arch Enemy today,” [Mentor]

said as blood began to run down his lips. “Truly, I am proud to call you my Battle

Brother.”

- As they leave the building with what they came for, the smell of ozone hits them like a

wall

+ The blizzard has picked up speed and there is little visibility

+ Something is out there waiting for them

C&C is very welcome!

Thank you very much on both accounts, GMB! Those guys on the Chaos at the Gates thread really know how to bash the kits together, as you may well know, so I had to go over there and to try my hand at it. In the name of the Lion, of course :biggrin.:. I'll let everyone over here see what the as-yet-to-be-named Interrogator-Chaplain looks like when I'm done. Also, there's a little snippet of story that will go with him.

As for the story, I changed the enemy that will be fought because my Chapter is best at fighting the Daemon. Why not showcase that? They can do battle with anyone but the Daemon is a special treat. Apparently, my outline-fu skill is rusty because there's a part of the story in the outline that shouldn't be there. Eh, I'll leave it there- too lazy to fool with it.

As for the story, I changed the enemy that will be fought because my Chapter is best at fighting the Daemon. Why not showcase that? They can do battle with anyone but the Daemon is a special treat. Apparently, my outline-fu skill is rusty because there's a part of the story in the outline that shouldn't be there. Eh, I'll leave it there- too lazy to fool with it.

Eh, I hated the formal outline rules anyway. But I do see where you started adding some story and dialogue within so by all means run with it. Using your demon or even Astartes imagery, the outline will morph into the story. 

I usually start writing, pause when I have an idea, go in that direction for a while, pause when I have another idea- do that until something comes out. I tried the outline idea this time and kept getting ideas so I'd write them down as to not forget them. My brain is still fuzzy ever since I've been back but it's getting there. Slowly.

Anyway, yeah, it's the Mehman Style Outline :happy.:. It's more of an idea sorter but it works for me.

Ladies and gentlemen, it's time for a mini-update. Huzzah :smile.:!

I've decided to take pictures of my progress on the above Interrogator-Chaplain and put them here. They wouldn't fit over at the other page so here it will be. On a related note, I've also named the model. See what this does for you: Brother Sisypho Tzadkiel- Angel of Divine Justice. His full title is Qadi al-Qoda Sisypho Tzadkiel, Angel of Divine Justice.

The Crozius he holds is going to be special. Here's what it is: the arm and weapon are from the Dark Angels Veteran kit and the skull atop it is from a Beastmen kit (ah Beastmen...my first love). I remember seeing a kitbash/conversion where a Librarian had the top of his staff removed and replaced with a Tyranid skull. There may be a special character for the Ultramarines like this, too, but I digress. Who do the Clerics fight? The Daemon and those that would treat with them- you're so nice for remembering :laugh.:!

So what we've got on this Crozius is the head of a Daemon. Who was it? Why do they have its skull? When did this happen? Those are the questions I'm asking myself. Honestly, does it matter? Yes! The only thing I have for it is a name: Daemon's Bane. That's a WiP name, by the way, so if you have a better one please don't hesitate to post it below.

As always, thanks for reading!

Wow loving both your entry to hold the gate and the outline.

Is the mentor ever going to get a name or is that something the Eremite's keep to themselves after all to know a things name is to gain power over it? I get the impression that the (nameless) Mentor and Heru'Ra overcome a lesser foe to retrieve the book but the true enemy remains hidden till the final act?  Is the snow a deliberate metaphor for the desert native Heru'Ra being way out of his comfort zone? Could the book be a red herring a lure placed by the primordial foe to bait the Clerics? 

Well thank you, Possum, for the kind words :biggrin.:!

The mentor will get a name because I'd run out of other things to call him, honestly. Upon entering into the Clerics, you get a new name. Their home planet utilizes Arab names, more or less, and then they get an Egyptian/Greek name along with their scout armour when/if they get it. Eremites take it a step further, I suppose. When they work their magick (yeah, I put a "K" on the end because they're doing some esoteric, Hermetic stuff), they do so under another name so that the Daemon cannot learn of their new name or even their old name. They become nameless as recruits and this goes a long way to confound the Enemy. How can you have power over something that has once known nothingness? That's an idea I'm working with at the moment in my own Great Work so it seems fitting to have the Clerics using it in their set-up. Wow, that was a long answer. Oh well.

Normally, I'd say something along the lines of "I don't want to give too much away" but the Clerics have been a pretty open topic since their inception. I know- spoiler tags! That way, if people don't want to know anything ahead of time about the story, they'll be spared.

There is no lesser foe to combat for them to obtain Heru'Ra's book. It's just a spooky place. True enough that the Adeptus Astartes are fearless, but we aren't as humans. If someone was to read the story late one night, I want the back of their neck to crawl and the pit of their stomach to lurch. This isn't happening to our stalwart protagonists, of course, but it just shows the difference between us and them.

The true enemy shows itself out in the blizzard. The Daemon. Has this been a set-up? In as much as spotting your enemy and wanting their heads in that moment. Here's a question: why didn't they attack the Clerics in the building?

The snow could very definitely mean that. It's not so much taking him out of his comfort zone as showing him that the Enemy can and will hide wherever, even in places that don't make sense. Also, I like the frigid cold vs life battle that springs to my mind. And I like snowflakes :happy.:.

The book is what it is: an ancient occult piece of lore. The Great Enemy didn't place it, that's for sure.

Hopefully I haven't let you down by answering the questions so plainly. I would much rather have people read it and debate over what it all means rather than telling them outright because that's how we get smarter. "What was the author saying here?" doesn't matter as much as "What do you think is going on?" in the long run.

Thanks for the questions, Possum. It makes me feel like the Chapter is at least interesting to someone :thumbsup:.

Ok so I'll confess I've not read your spoilers and I'm not going to. This isn't because I'm super rude, but because I made a mistake by not making it clear that my questions were rhetorical. I was ham fistedly posing them a with the hope of aiding your already bountiful creativity.  So sorry I didn't make my self clear :sad.:

I do really like how even in this very stripped down form there is tension and character starting to show through. I'm already picturing the mentor as a weather beaten whipcorded Arabian mystic and Heru'Ra as wide eyed, just starting to realize that all the skills and stratagems of his warrior past are as nothing compared to the road he has ahead.

So I don't commit the cardinal sin of making the same mistake twice these are questions are aimed at helping you consider angles you might not have (if you have feel free to disregard them:cool.: )

Tzeentch seems a natural foe for the Clerics with his predilection for schemes with in schemes, Perhaps he is trying to plant the seeds of doubt or worse yet fear in young Heru'Ra? Could there be an element of "passing the sword" in the story perhaps the mentor suffers grievous injury, but names his neophyte as a worthy successor. Or is forced to continue his tutelage from the confines of a dreadnought chassis with Heru'Ra acting as his mortal agent? Could the foe be set up to be a recurring Nemesis? Could there perhaps be a hint of tragedy in their victory, may be a shard of the deamon is inadvertently carried back home to weak havoc before the righteous fury of the clerics banish this terrible foe for good? is the motto of the chapter to prove more than just a focus but a literal set of instructions on how to defeat (albeit temporarily)  the chapters most persistent daemonic enemy maybe the very unclean one that scoured the fortress monastery following the accidental summoning?      

Gosh it seems I've got quite carried away with this I hope that in that wall of waffle there is some small nugget of usefulness. 

Apologies that it has taken this long to answer you, Brother. Apparently, Papa Nurgle came to visit last night :sick:.

You are most welcome in my home, Possum, for you bring many ideas and ways of thinking :laugh.:! The only thing left to do now is to implement them. That will be a fun day :biggrin.:!

Yeah, I never know about rhetoricalness but, reading your original questions again, I can pick up on that. Maybe it's because you've made it clear that they are rhetorical and now I can see them that way. Oh, the wonders of the mind. In the end there's no worry. I learned a lot by writing them out, anyway.

No apology needed brother.

I hope that the emperors light has seen you safely through the trials of illness (or to put it another way hope you are feeling better).

Further more i hope that I've provided some small help.  

You've been a great help, Brother. You've made me think about the direction I'd like the story to go and also given me a lot of ideas for some twists. Huzzah :happy.:!

Remember, brothers and sisters, that is what the Clerics are all about. Think of them as an almost community project: anyone can help but you can be wrong :laugh.:.

It's great to see the Clerics progressing.  I am liking the Int Chap build.  The deamon's head makes for a sick looking Crozius.  I really like the idea that the recruits are nameless and when they get their armour they get their new name.  Keep up the great work!

Archived