Mars Pattern Warlord Psi-Titan: The Red Comet Walks

Athrawes

By all that is beautiful. THAT RED IS FREAKING AMAZING!!!! Praise be to depthcharge.

I agree, I saw some Samurai lamellar armor that was red and glossy and thought it would fit in to his Asiatic theme. But instead of black cords holding the armor together, it's a black trim.

In other words - grab yer ankles and kiss your butt goodbye because it's going to look sublime.

By all that is beautiful. THAT RED IS FREAKING AMAZING!!!! Praise be to depthcharge.

I agree, I saw some Samurai lamellar armor that was red and glossy and thought it would fit in to his Asiatic theme. But instead of black cords holding the armor together, it's a black trim.

In other words - grab yer ankles and kiss your butt goodbye because it's going to look sublime.

Emperor bless you depthcharge for your service, I love it when real-life things inspire things for the hobby. That spark of pure, unfettered creativity and inspiration is such a rare, precious thing. :)

Beautiful work, dude.

EDIT: Editting this because after a couple hours I went back and looked again and felt the need to say this: What a beautiful pose you did on the titan. Such stellar work. Your progress is also coming along nicely. as said by others: your red looks excellent - especially in combination with the red and black details. :tu: 

This is what deciding not to sleep looks like:

I've had an Image of the Red Comet in my head for months. This is the first time I can show you guys a good proximally of that idea.

http://i1088.photobucket.com/albums/i327/nickfayette1/97bab545-c133-4500-b6eb-0296729a811a.jpg

http://i1088.photobucket.com/albums/i327/nickfayette1/2b783552-07ee-40a5-a854-0e85131bcbee.jpg

http://i1088.photobucket.com/albums/i327/nickfayette1/93b7d8db-4213-47ba-86c9-aacdd3d2fa3f.jpg

http://i1088.photobucket.com/albums/i327/nickfayette1/78c37060-9125-473e-881e-fa6a137f1ec8.jpg

The head will be done in red I think, but I'm not sure i'f it will be with the black trim and brass rivets, or with straight brass trim. I'd love to hear anyones input on that and on the whole scheme in general.

So much left to do, but the end is finally in sight on the horizon. The airbrush has really sped up this project for me. I have finally begun washing and shading the chassis of the Titan but its a ling way from complete, as there is a lot of surface area to shade and I have to do it in small sessions to keep the wash from pooling/running/streaking.

The armor colors have now been mapped out. I still have to go back and wash the brass bits, and highlight them but I feel like the model is starting to look like a titan.

After I finish washing the chassis and airbrush the armor, it will be on to details, optics and general tidying up.

I really like all the little details you add to your models, chimes and scripts. On the Warlord though, they really add a sense of scale, but it may need a few church sized bells to really be heard . lol.

Thanks! If i had to fault this model for anything, it would be that it has tons of mechanical details, but none of the personal little details of the Warhound and Reaver Titans, like skulls, decorations, plaques ect. So i really wanted to try and remedy that oversight with some flair to tie the model in with my II Legion project.

Oh hush you. You know I love that Reaver - heresy besties 4 life.

...it's just the evil side of me has a hole burning in his pocket to get a whole Titan legio, but the sensible side of me beat him up. I still need to put together the one Reaver I've got biggrin.png

But that Mexican standoff between our Titans is coming...soon...verrrrryyyyyyy sooooon.

Soontm

I love the red too, I'm glad your liking it so far. If i'm being honest, I was terrified that my first airbrush use would look awful before I get the hang off it. I'll chock it up to beginners luck.

Emperor bless you depthcharge for your service, I love it when real-life things inspire things for the hobby. That spark of pure, unfettered creativity and inspiration is such a rare, precious thing. smile.png

I'd like to point out that Depthcharge found the awesome samurai armor picture after I told him about the titans color scheme. The samurai armor was sort of a visual aid to help him picture the finished paint scheme I think. That being said, over the last few months I have wavered over the paint scheme quit a bit, but Depth always keeps me focused and on track for this particular scheme, so credit where credit is due I suppose.

Beautiful work, dude.

EDIT: Editting this because after a couple hours I went back and looked again and felt the need to say this: What a beautiful pose you did on the titan. Such stellar work. Your progress is also coming along nicely. as said by others: your red looks excellent - especially in combination with the red and black details. thumbsup.gif

Thanks for the edit, I'm loving the red too, and thanks for the kind words on the pose. It really the most important thing about this model, if the pose is wrong or too stiff in can throw off even a great paintjob. So at least I have the pose going for me haha.

Woah. Just… woah.

It is a fantastic model and a real joy to build and paint, I feel the same way sometimes. Funnily enough, that's what I said when I realised what this monster has done to my checking account... happy.png

Consider this subbed. Excellent build Brother.

Thanks, I'm glad your enjoying this project!

+++

So, what do you guys thinks? Worth skipping sleep over?

You can sleep when you're dead!

Now go back to work!

Now seriously: I think it was worth it. Looking tremendous and pure awesome! ;) Give your wife / family a hug for letting you work on that. :D

It is awesome in the truest sense of the word!

"extremely impressive or daunting; inspiring awe"

I'm not sure about the purple on the shields. It seems out of place. It think red and white/black would work better, but it may grow on me.

Edit* I think a white/bone head would break up the red/black/metal, these are massive models and need a bit of contrast.

I would sleep, I set myself back on my reaver build working when tired.. I sent the power fist flying, big hero 6 style!

Some bits of progress from the last week:

http://i1088.photobucket.com/albums/i327/nickfayette1/c1d996d8-11a3-4718-9aa4-fbdc0c1be421.jpg

I've begun work on detailing the model, specifically working on the Prayer paper, roped and bells all around the armor.

http://i1088.photobucket.com/albums/i327/nickfayette1/ab0a4145-7e0b-442e-b29c-037ecc1738e4.jpg

I've finished the red on all the armor plates, including the Mars-Beta Head. I just blacked out the trim for now but I'm still undecided about color for that. If I do go the black and gold rivet route, I think the Golden runes in the middle of the transfer sheet (three rows down) would look go above the (image) left brow. What do you think?

http://i1088.photobucket.com/albums/i327/nickfayette1/ed6448b2-c669-46a6-99c3-4a362c6b3b70.jpg

Finally, I have begun working on a small addition for the Titan, something no selfrespecting warlord Princeps should be without....

You can sleep when you're dead!

Now go back to work!

Now seriously: I think it was worth it. Looking tremendous and pure awesome! msn-wink.gif Give your wife / family a hug for letting you work on that. biggrin.png

I'm really please you like it so far, sleep is overrated after all.

giphy.gif

I think you´d make the head stand out from it´s surroundings if you do it in red with complete brass edging.

I still haven't decided either way for the trim, but thanks for the input, as i keep going back and forth over the merits, versus the uniform look of the trim on titan.

It is awesome in the truest sense of the word!
"extremely impressive or daunting; inspiring awe"

I'm not sure about the purple on the shields. It seems out of place. It think red and white/black would work better, but it may grow on me.

Edit* I think a white/bone head would break up the red/black/metal, these are massive models and need a bit of contrast.

I would sleep, I set myself back on my reaver build working when tired.. I sent the power fist flying, big hero 6 style!

I think everyone has had a " I should really be in bed, oh no! I just dropped/mispainted/broke something cool, because I'm so sleepy" moment.

I agree that the bright purple is jarring, but I need a 3rd color top break up all the black and red and purple just feels right, I'll have to try a few, perhaps darker shades of purple.

++++

Thanks for checking out the thread, I'd really love to get some opinions on the paint scheme, the heraldic spot color, and the trim on the head.

With regards the spot colour, your scheme is an reverse legio mortis colours. Maybe check out the reaver and Warhound colours from this legion.

As to trim detail, In the old fluff, Titan prinicpes had their coats of arms painted/engraved on the trims. Old Titans would have many. This would add some interest.

Keeps getting better!

http://i1088.photobucket.com/albums/i327/nickfayette1/ed6448b2-c669-46a6-99c3-4a362c6b3b70.jpg

Finally, I have begun working on a small addition for the Titan, something no selfrespecting warlord Princeps should be without....

Love it! And i'm surprised forgeworld didn't make their own yet themselves!
I wonder how wide that zone mortalis piece is compared to a plastic knight interior, as i've yet to find the right clear cylinder for a tank for my special gene-altered styrix pilot.

I hadn't really understood how big that damn model is...until I realized I have that exact same cutting mat.

Throne, that thing is censored.gif massive. biggrin.png

And I vote for black trim, it's really nice with that red you've got going.

Edit: Words are hard.

This is all mind blowing.  Do you have closer photos of the tilting shields or any of the red painted sections?  I'd love to see the details.

Out of curiosity, how heavy are those Warlord arm options?  Not that I'll be getting one probably ever, but I'd be curious about how big a magnet you'd need to make those weapons swappable, now that there are options other than the Volcano cannons coming out.

• 5 weeks later...

The Comets Fist

So thanks to LetsYouDown, i was able to get my hands on a Warlord Titan Arioch Power Claw from the Weekender. 

It is a great model wIth lots of variability. a few cool points are that the Vulcan megabolter is optional, to reflect the rules. So I'm in the process of trying to figure out how to magnetize it without damaging g detail on the fist. The other cool choice is that the "talons' are also optional. They give you alliterate finger tips if you want a more traditional looking power fist.

I have run into somewhat of a problem though and would appreciate your input.

Option 1:

http://i1088.photobucket.com/albums/i327/nickfayette1/52EC7529-0B01-401F-99CC-0473F2B8826B.jpg

Option 2:

http://i1088.photobucket.com/albums/i327/nickfayette1/0AB6FA05-F6A7-44D0-9966-EFFD182E3D4A.jpg

I can't decide which arm to mount it on. Now before you vote, please consider this. My original plan was to go with option 1, but that was back when i had assumed FW would try to balance the weight across all of their Titan Arm options. Unfortunately, the Titan claw is significantly lighter than the Volcano Cannon (and so most likely lighter than the Plasma Annihilator which seems even larger than the Volcano cannon).

This wouldn't be the biggest problem in the world except that my titans pose kind of relies on balance weapon load out to be perfectly stable. Option 1 puts less balancing weight on the claw side and so the titan is more likely to be knocked over to its left. Option 2 is ultra stable as the volcano cannon on the right with only a power claw on the left help to further stabilize the tipping potential of the titan.

Now, I like the look of both options, but like option 1 significantly more from an aesthetic point of view. Option 2 on the other hand is more desirable from practical/stability standpoint. 

Going with option 1 doesn't mean that the titan will always/ever fall over as it is still stable, just unbalanced.

I'd love to hear your thoughts!

Everybody seems to want to knock the #1, ready to fire, pose but that is exactly why I like it so much. This is a Warlord TITAN, not some WWE wrestler. That claw only matters to those tough enough to survive the apocalyptic onslaught of firepower coming their way first. The gun is the headliner here, and pose #1 shows that.

Are you able to repose the arms? I'm just asking because in option 2 the left leg and arm look like they are both forward. I would say that if the claw is going to be on the left the arm needs to come back and then level the right arm out a bit. I don't know anything about the kit so I don't know if that's even possible but that's my two cents.

By the way the Titan looks awesome dude

Archived