Tallarn 12th Regiment "Desert Falcons"

Quneitra

"The Tau are arrogant beyond measure. Counter them wherever you find them, and drive them away destitute and shamed. Kill their soldiers and destroy their unblessed machines. Do not let them pass a single system further into the holy territory of Mankind." - Marwan Attar, Feriq al-Awwal (Lord General) of the Khanjar Campaign, to his subordinates at the start of the campaign.

Hey guys, Quneitra here with a thread for my regiment. I was hoping to accomplish more before getting this thread started, but my plastic glue's nozzle got damage and I'm stuck with a bunch of unpainted and half-assembled models, so you'll have to bear with me a bit.

This thread will have updates RL-wise and also the fluff I'm coming up for my regiment and the campaign mentioned above in the quote. Feel free to give your suggestions/opinions/ideas/whatever for what's posted here. msn-wink.gif What I've got planned so far is them being the refounding of the original 12th, which was destroyed fighting the Tau on Taros, and so what better to send into a campaign against the upstart empire than the refounding of a regiment that died fighting them?

In general, this Tallarn regiment and my force in general is going to be very much inspired by modern Arab militaries, particularly the Syrian and Iraqi Republican Guard forces, as well as some early 20th century Arab stuff if I can fit it in. You'll see below what I mean, particularly once I start painting these.

I'll post here the fluff, first, but here's some pictures first:

gallery_86632_11195_33172.jpg

This is what I'm starting off with; kitbashing these three things together to generate me a squad or so of Stormtroopers for my list here.

gallery_86632_11195_18619.jpg

This over here, is Mulazim Awwal (First Lieutenant) Nashawan, carrying a banner for the Tallarn Haris al-Jamhuri elite troops, and wielding a hellcarbine with a chainblade attachment. On his back, he carries a long-range radio set, for communicating with the higher echelons of commanding during the din of battle. While he wears body armor to offer himself protection, he forgoes a helmet in place of a crusher cap in order to remain more visible to his men.

I chose this specific banner because of the skull symbol; eventually, I plan on painting it to visually resemble the logo of the Syrian Republican Guard, with similar colors and of course the skull.

gallery_86632_11195_29348.jpggallery_86632_11195_52820.jpg

Over here is Jundi (Private/Trooper) Abdul-Aziz. Equipped as a standard Haris al-Jamhuri rifleman, the combination of a targeter and the heavy punch of the hellgun makes for a devastating weapon, even against Traitor Astartes. Like any good Guardsmen, he keeps a variety of equipment on his belt during an assault, including a sheathed bayonet and canteen.

The Republican Guard influence over here is a bit clearer, with adding the berets to a standard Guardsman torso and legs. I've taken the power cords off the lasguns to make it look like its being fueled by regular powerpacks, but if I had the time and resources I'd have tried to attach a curved magazine to give it more of an AK look.

gallery_86632_11195_22367.jpg

Here's Jundi Firas, a squad medic. Treating a wounded soldier, he's sheathed his gun and applied a facemask and gloves to prevent contaminating the wound. Since I'm using ABG stormies and not the new MTs, I don't believe I'll be using him in a crunchy way, but if I do I'll have a medic model instantly.

gallery_86632_11195_40287.jpg

And last but not least, Areef (Corporal) Wael, a squad plasma gunner. Unfortunately, I had a bit of a mishap with the plastic glue, leaving him a bit of a mess that I'll have to fix later on.

And so there you have it! I'm going to try to fix my plastic glue issue, so hopefully soon I'll have more assembled models.

Awesome! The Syrian guard banner looks like its actually taken from 40k!

I know, right? When I was thinking of inspiration for the regiment, I remembered the Syrian RG insignia, and instantly thought it'd be perfect. I think it looks more menacing than the Iraqi one, which is just a red triangle. Not that its going to be left by the wayside; I'm going to use the latter one too for the Rijaal al-Muhimaat al-Saa'ba - "Men of Difficult Tasks" - badge, and some other Arab symbols such as the Zawbaa' for things such as company insignia and awards.

Always good to see new boxes ready for assembly smile.png Keep your momentum and you'll be done before you know it msn-wink.gif

Thanks for the words of encouragement msn-wink.gif I've definitely got plenty of momentum stored up! Wish my wallet felt the same way, haha.

You have no idea how excited I am about your regiment. Being totally serious: this is absolutely the best fluff and idea I have heard. Ever. Listen now: I want to tell someone about this regiment. Sure, I've extolled the virtues of a lot of armies but, for me, this is great. It blows away anything I've thought of, that's for sure.

I don't want you to get all happy and giddy about this and think you're more special than someone else but, good Emperor, this is refreshing. If you need a good Base skin colour, PM me because I figured one out for my Space Marines.

You've gone and got the Regimental Priest all excited now. Wow. Just wow.

You have no idea how excited I am about your regiment. Being totally serious: this is absolutely the best fluff and idea I have heard. Ever. Listen now: I want to tell someone about this regiment. Sure, I've extolled the virtues of a lot of armies but, for me, this is great. It blows away anything I've thought of, that's for sure.

I don't want you to get all happy and giddy about this and think you're more special than someone else but, good Emperor, this is refreshing. If you need a good Base skin colour, PM me because I figured one out for my Space Marines.

Thank you very much for your kind words, mate, anything to bring happiness to the servants of Man! smile.png Feel free to shoot me any ideas, really, I'd love to hear what input people have to offer.

I'm curious though as to why it seems no one else has done this idea for a Tallarn regiment? I know they've got Desert Rats/SAS influence, but considering that they all have pseudo-Arabic (occasionally actual Arabic) names and terms, vague similarities to Arabic culture, and their love for tanks and guerrilla warfare, I would have thought someone out there would've gone the extra mile and based them off of RL Arab armies. Not to diss other interpretations, because they're also pretty cool, but its just something I've thought about.

Overview

Planet of Origin: تلعرن

Tallarn

Designation:  "الفوج ألمدرع ألتلعرني ١٢ "صقور الصحراء

Tallarn 12th Armoured Regiment "Desert Falcons"

Motto: !الموت ولا المذلة 

Death before Dishonor!

Battle cry: !بلروح بلدم نفديك يا شاهد!

With our souls, with our blood, we will avenge you, oh honored dead!

Strength (Ideal): ~1,640 soldiers, 94 tanks, 18 self-propelled artillery pieces, 45 armored infantry fighting vehicles. 

Addendum est Administratum: Information above is for refounded regiment. For more information about support assets, check full formation tree.

History

pre-Refounding

Records on the 12th's founding are not easily accessible; however, it is known that by the 900s of M41, they were considered one of the elite Tallarn armoured units, having seen battles on multiple worlds. Its size by 997 was estimated as a brigade-sized formation, consisting of roughly 4,040 soldiers, 129 Leman Russes, 30 Demolisher tanks, 11 super-heavy tanks, 106 armored infantry fighting vehicles, and 48 self-propelled artillery pieces.

Due to its size and experience, the 12th was selected as one of the regiments to take part in the Taros Liberation Campaign, 998.M41 (reference with records on Campaign 5692). Assigned to X Corps of the 4621st Imperial Army, the Tallarn's experience in desert fighting were put to good use on the dusty planet of Taros, with much of the 12th's action taking place in the Aestus Desert. Despite their experience and strength, however, the 12th was martyred and their holy machines destroyed, with the few survivors enslaved to work in the mines. Some that managed to prevent their capture joined up with the Tallarn 3rd Armoured, who was also present in the campaign.

Refounding

The Tallarn have a tradition of a grieving period after one dies, which lasts three to forty days. During this period, it is customary to visit the family to offer one's condolences, and to provide food for the first three or so days. The bodies of the dead - or if irretrievable, as the majority were, an empty coffin to represent their body - would be prayed upon in a special funeral prayer and burial service. Of course, the families of those that had served in the 12th observed this, but in a galaxy full of war and death, normally they wouldn't be entitled to any special treatment beyond the very basics. However, in regards to the 12th, direct relatives were given three day's vacation from work, houses were packed with visitors bearing gifts and food, and in the smaller qaryat where some of the soldiers had been born, rallies were held in remembrance. This was a result of the ignoble fate suffered by the 12th; death was to be expected and possibly even celebrated, but the cruel Tau had stripped the proud sons of the desert of their honor by forcing them to work as slave laborers, and the loss of honor is not something any Tallarn took lightly. The moment the mourning period ended, recruitment stations across the planet swelled with young men, waving their curved khanjar daggers, swearing not to sheath them until they'd drawn blood in revenge. 

Meanwhile, however, the Desert Raiders hadn't been idle either.

You have no idea how excited I am about your regiment. Being totally serious: this is absolutely the best fluff and idea I have heard. Ever. Listen now: I want to tell someone about this regiment. Sure, I've extolled the virtues of a lot of armies but, for me, this is great. It blows away anything I've thought of, that's for sure.

Thank you very much for your kind words, mate, anything to bring happiness to the servants of Man! smile.png Feel free to shoot me any ideas, really, I'd love to hear what input people have to offer.

I'm curious though as to why it seems no one else has done this idea for a Tallarn regiment? I know they've got Desert Rats/SAS influence, but considering that they all have pseudo-Arabic (occasionally actual Arabic) names and terms, vague similarities to Arabic culture, and their love for tanks and guerrilla warfare, I would have thought someone out there would've gone the extra mile and based them off of RL Arab armies. Not to diss other interpretations, because they're also pretty cool, but its just something I've thought about.

I'll go ahead and try to answer your thought. This is only my interpretation, of course, so I could be far off the mark. Humans tend to do things by how they've been taught, what they see everyday, or have been exposed to in life. That's a big reason why you'll see the SAS or other European Armies portrayed in desert camouflage instead of an Arab or North African army (I just got a big idea...). They're painting what they know.

Now, every once in a while, you get someone who doesn't really know a culture or area of the world and feel that it would be neat to portray them in the game. Maybe they feel the pull of some invisible hand that makes them want- no, need- to do in-depth research of the culture they have been drawn to and then they try to painstakingly get every detail correct even though they still know so little in the scheme of things. I know I fall into this boat but I won't mention what I'm doing as this is your thread and, as such, is your territory msn-wink.gif.

Really, I believe it comes down to not wanting to screw-up another culture that a person knows so little about. That, and I'll say it, they don't want to come off as a racist or a bigot. Subconsciously that could be the big one. Personally, I want to know everything there is to know about what I'm doing but I had to take away the safety net before I did so. Emperor, I hope that makes some sense.

That we're both portraying the same culture, albeit with a few hundred years difference, that sees so little light made me giddy last night. I apologize if I came off the wrong way, mate.

Haha, no problem. Feel free to PM me what you're doing, I'm interested.

It does make sense, indeed, that people will stick to what they feel comfortable doing, and I think this also applies to the lack of official fluff about them beyond the 'dexes and the BRB. Adding to your point, the Tallarn are a more...touchy topic than, say, Vostroyan or Valhallan regiments, considering the current geopolitical situation. Its a shame, but there's not much that can be done apart making up stuff for our armies, no? msn-wink.gif

Back on-topic - I'm slowly getting the fluff up, and I think I might have solved my plastic glue problem, so there's a decent chance of more models showing up here soon. I'm hopefully getting paid next week too, so I might go pick up some paints or more models to work on.

The Tallarn are based on British 8th Army, not just the Desert Rat SAS. When basing an army on real life it's easier to do with Guard than Marines as you'd expect, it's mostly down to consistency as to if it works. You need to decide on the ratio ofstraight up representation/tribute or inspired by and keep that throughout :) Last but not least, representation is not necessarily approval and people will know the difference between that and glorification.

Some other reading to get, if you have an ebook or iPad, is Desert Raiders, by Lucien Soulban. I found it some years ago and it was an alright read. It gives you a look into a Tallarn regiment but, really, you'd be best served to make up your own fluff, which you are already doing. Not to say you shouldn't get the book if you want a little more information on them. The ending was actually one of my favourites, so far, and I read a lot of Black Library publications.

Some other reading to get, if you have an ebook or iPad, is Desert Raiders, by Lucien Soulban. I found it some years ago and it was an alright read. It gives you a look into a Tallarn regiment but, really, you'd be best served to make up your own fluff, which you are already doing. Not to say you shouldn't get the book if you want a little more information on them. The ending was actually one of my favourites, so far, and I read a lot of Black Library publications.

I brought it specifically for that reason msn-wink.gif I liked it too, and that ending was mind-blowing. Lucien did decent research on the names and made it unique enough, which was pretty cool.

Now, I aimed at finishing the regiment's fluff yesterday, but unfortunately I got distracted and haven't worked on it since Saturday. Instead, what I did was I managed to solve my glue issues, put together a few models, and went out and picked up some paints yesterday:

gallery_86632_11195_68934.jpg

Picked up Imperial Primer because I can't spraypaint anywhere nearby and I live in a 450 square foot flat (so no spraying in here unless I want to suffocate to death), Nuln Oil to wash, and Khorne Red, Mournfang Brown, Zandri Dust, Leadbelcher, Abbadon Black, Caliban Green, and Balthzar Gold. Unfortunately, I forgot to pick up colours for the skin, and I left my paintbrush at my parent's house, so once my paycheck comes around at the end of this week I'll go out and buy them.

The camo I'm going for with my soldiers is this:

http://camopedia.org/images/thumb/f/f7/Syria6.jpg/200px-Syria6.jpg

(Bless you, Camopedia, for making my job a lot easier)

Which on soldiers shows up something like this, with the green dominant, and the secondary colors having regular patterns. I debated about what colour to use, but I decided on Caliban Green, and I'm thinking about getting another shade like Castellan Green to separate out the armor from the fatigues. Khorne Red appeared the closest to burgundy that was available, so I'm going with it for the berets and hoping for the best. I brought the brown shade not only for the camouflage pattern, but also for the gun, to give it an AK feel to it.

That aside, lets welcome some new additions to the squad!

gallery_86632_11195_37510.jpg

This is Raqib (Sergeant) Mustafa Ayyash, a grizzled veteran of war and a preacher as much as a squad leader. Here, he extols his squad to acts of heroism, reminding them of their faith and their honor, using his shock maul to emphasize his fiery sermon.

Remember how I said that I solved the glue problem? Well, I'm using a different manufacturer, and dear God is it messy. Every time I use it, it leaves glue-strands everywhere, some of which unfortunately got onto the good sergeant. I'll have to clean it up later.

gallery_86632_11195_12413.jpg

This is Jundi Awwal (Private First Class) Ahmad Saadeh, the squad's vox operator. Laspistol in hand, he prepares to throw a grenade on the charge against an enemy position.

gallery_86632_11195_51022.jpg

And now, in this blurry picture (my deepest apologies), is Jundi Yahya Shahadi, wielding his favorite weapon - a hellgun modified for providing extended bursts of automatic fire compared to regular guns, equivalent to the SAWs and LMGs of the armies of M3.

Yes, its a hotshot volleygun, but of course I'll be running him as a regular lasgunner, unless I need it for an MT list.

gallery_86632_11195_49159.jpg

Last but not least is Jundi Wasem Mahaydali, bringing his hellgun to bear against the squad's foes.

And for a bonus shot, here's the whole squad!

gallery_86632_11195_6209.jpg

The inclusion of the metal Arabic teapot minis was completely unintentional.

What's next for modeling? Well, I haven't added all the bits from the kits yet, so I'm going to add them later on, and try to pick up a Chimera plus the other stuff I've mentioned once my paycheck arrives.

Before you start udnercoating the models, I suggest you remove the mold lines (use the backside of a hobby knife) and also give the models a wash with mild dishwashing detergent, the paint adheres much better then. Good luck with your project. Its really a cool idea

Yeah, a kitchen knife is not a great alternative - as WarriorFish said, you're more likely to remove a digit or a few pints of blood than the lines!

A small file should work for a lot of the lines, and the bigger chunks of sprue still on the model (like the bit on the sergeant's elbow) can be removed with your clippers. 

Really like your idea though, and I'm looking forward to seeing how this progresses. You've got a great background and basis for your regiment, the paint scheme sounds awesome, and the models are shaping up really well!

Well, I got to it with a nail file and clippers I picked up earlier, and it definitely looks crisper! I'm still working on adding the bitz, but I hope to have pictures up soon.

Earlier today I found a nearby hobby shop which sells some Citadel stuff, including select pots of paint and more importantly, brushes. I picked up a brush and Cadian Fleshtone paint, and so I've started experimenting on color schemes:

med_gallery_86632_11195_317279.jpg

med_gallery_86632_11195_426023.jpg

This guy over here came out a bit...malformed during the building process, so before I disassemble and reassemble him, I'm using him as a testbed. Really, the only thing I've basecoated so far is the gun, which I'm painting in a Kalash/SVD-esque style. Colours are Abbadon Black for the housing; Leadbelcher for the barrel, the optics, and the magazine; Balthazar Gold for the Aquila, and Mournfang Brown for the stock and the handguard.

When you disassemble, look at the Scion neck connection so you can get a better fit. How are you priming the model? A good undercoat is an important base step to painting a model. The colour scheme looks good though, just add a wash on the metals to top it off.

I second what WF said about the neck, they just don't look right at the mo.There is a topic in barracks on scion heads that should help you out. Like your idea for the camo, be interested to see how it comes out. With the rifle I would be inclined to keep it simple black and metal. Keep the WIP photos coming.

When you disassemble, look at the Scion neck connection so you can get a better fit. How are you priming the model? A good undercoat is an important base step to painting a model. The colour scheme looks good though, just add a wash on the metals to top it off.

I'm using Imperial Primer o prime the model; I primed the gun and the hat so far, but not anything else.

I second what WF said about the neck, they just don't look right at the mo.There is a topic in barracks on scion heads that should help you out. Like your idea for the camo, be interested to see how it comes out. With the rifle I would be inclined to keep it simple black and metal. Keep the WIP photos coming.

Thank you.

About the necks, I'm certainly going to readjust Mr. Giraffe Neck to make sure he doesn't look like a mutant; he's in fact the first model I assembled from the kits! Do the newer models look better, or do they need adjustment too?

Is Imperial Primer the pot one? That's only suitable for touch ups, a spray of some form is best - quick results with less hassle. Also gives better coverage - remember that you don't need a perfect coating just enough to give the paint something to stick too plus too much obscures details :tu:

As for the necks, I think they could do with more chopping down (I've not opened my Scion kit yet). Compare them to Jundi Awwal with the normal Guard head and you can see the difference.

Is Imperial Primer the pot one? That's only suitable for touch ups, a spray of some form is best - quick results with less hassle. Also gives better coverage - remember that you don't need a perfect coating just enough to give the paint something to stick too plus too much obscures details :tu:

As for the necks, I think they could do with more chopping down (I've not opened my Scion kit yet). Compare them to Jundi Awwal with the normal Guard head and you can see the difference.

There is a case of giraffe neck syndrome going around your regiment. From experience you have to take a lot of bulbous neck joint off the scion head to make it fit the Cadian torso. Compare the heads to give yourself an idea of what you need to do. Another option is to drill out the Cadian torso so the neck fits with trimming ans sits lower.

Ah, that's a shame about the Primer, I can't find any place to spray! Ah well, I'll figure something out.

I've taken the liberty of cutting this guy's neck down, how does it look? 

http://i.imgur.com/ooQjHif.jpg

Archived