Tallarn 12th Regiment "Desert Falcons"

Quneitra

It seems to me that any IG unit that feels "light" to you would work for a Soviet Forward Detachment themed list.  Some ideas include:

-units in Chimeras (the Chimera even looks like a BMP!) or Hellhounds and Hellhound variants

-ratlings

-valkyries & vendettas (one of the key strengths of the Soviet doctrine was their ability to support it with attack choppers)

Arguably, Russes and conscripts don't seem to appropriate for this list though.  And arty doesn't seem right since I think (?) The foreward units were just supposed to call for fire from divisional arty behind the line.  A master of ordnance would be fluffy though.  Keep in mind that you can always just develop a reason for including any unit.  For example, an Exterminator might work on your list because Imperail Armor Volume 1 mentioned they were lighyer than regular Russes and often accompanied Russed

Oh. and scout and armored sentinels would really work with this theme (and they are particularly fluffy for Tallarn lists such as ours).

Good luck!

This is really cool. I feel like the more heads you can find with berets, aviator sunnies and bushy moustaches the better.  The camo is really cool for this theme, and definitely goes against the grain of a standard Tallarn aesthetic.  I also really like the idea of wooden bits on the hellguns to replicate AK's. 

As for light infantry/long range recon vehicles, the forward recon section of my Tallarn offshoot army uses some Elysian vehicles.  Drop sentinels and Tauros buggies with lots of stowage for the long range patrol aesthetic could work.  Tauroxes or leman russ Conquerors could work too maybe. 

I wonder if you could have some conscripts with tallarn heads for a milita/local freedom fighter feel?  The new genestealer cults vehicles have a very civilan look, could stick some Valkyrie rocket pods on the back of one for the whole landcruiser with soviet era rocket pods technical look, counts as taurox with missile launcher. I'm just brainstorming here haha. Keep it up, keen to see more pics.

It seems to me that any IG unit that feels "light" to you would work for a Soviet Forward Detachment themed list. Some ideas include:

-units in Chimeras (the Chimera even looks like a BMP!) or Hellhounds and Hellhound variants

-ratlings

-valkyries & vendettas (one of the key strengths of the Soviet doctrine was their ability to support it with attack choppers)

Arguably, Russes and conscripts don't seem to appropriate for this list though. And arty doesn't seem right since I think (?) The foreward units were just supposed to call for fire from divisional arty behind the line. A master of ordnance would be fluffy though. Keep in mind that you can always just develop a reason for including any unit. For example, an Exterminator might work on your list because Imperail Armor Volume 1 mentioned they were lighyer than regular Russes and often accompanied Russed

Oh. and scout and armored sentinels would really work with this theme (and they are particularly fluffy for Tallarn lists such as ours).

Good luck!

Thanks!

Regarding arty, everything I've found either implies or directly states that some tube arty (probably the 2S1) from a motor rifle or (normally) tank regiment is attached to the forward detachment. Soviet self-propelled artillery were also always issued with a load of HEAT shells allowing them to attack tanks if they're being threatened, and from what I recall they would provide direct support if the mission called for it. Something to keep in mind is that the forward detachment is supposed to be self-contained as much as possible; the divisional artillery would be supporting the units preparing the assault, while the forward detachment would be kept in wait until an opening was created, then it'd exploit it.

Chimeras are lovely, and I'm planning on BMPfying mine when I get them msn-wink.gif

You know, I've never actually used Ratlings. Are they any good? I saw Sniper got nerfed so I've been kinda spotty on using them.

As for Russes,the Soviets used to build their FDs around tank units and supplement with infantry, so I personally think it'll match well. Remember, we're the tank masters of the Imperium as well biggrin.png I agree about 'scripts though, they make no sense fluff-wise for Tallarn nor do they make sense for a mech force.

Sentinels work well with our fluff, but I haven't gotten a chance to use them either. I really want to find a home for Hellhounds though...you can't go wrong with torrent!

I really do want to find a place for a pair of Vendettas. They've done me well before.

This is really cool. I feel like the more heads you can find with berets, aviator sunnies and bushy moustaches the better. The camo is really cool for this theme, and definitely goes against the grain of a standard Tallarn aesthetic. I also really like the idea of wooden bits on the hellguns to replicate AK's.

As for light infantry/long range recon vehicles, the forward recon section of my Tallarn offshoot army uses some Elysian vehicles. Drop sentinels and Tauros buggies with lots of stowage for the long range patrol aesthetic could work. Tauroxes or leman russ Conquerors could work too maybe.

I wonder if you could have some conscripts with tallarn heads for a milita/local freedom fighter feel? The new genestealer cults vehicles have a very civilan look, could stick some Valkyrie rocket pods on the back of one for the whole landcruiser with soviet era rocket pods technical look, counts as taurox with missile launcher. I'm just brainstorming here haha. Keep it up, keen to see more pics.

Thanks to you too happy.png both I think would work; I like the Salamanders as well for recce (they fit the BRM-1/BMP-1 Recce variants) but their lack of hull flamers is pretty...disappointing.
I can find generic desert warrior heads; I don't think conscripts though would work with the idea of a guerrilla/militia force, due to the way their crunch is structured. If anything, I think Camo Vets with demo charges would work better, or at least the basic inf platoon. Don't forget Cyclops demolitions vehicles for roving mine ambushes!
In such a case...maybe Scout Sentinels and Salamanders could be our versions of technicals? laugh.png

Overview

Planet of Origin: تلعرن

Tallarn

Designation: "الفوج ألمدرع ألتلعرني ١٢ "صقور الصحراء

Tallarn 12th Armoured Regiment "Desert Falcons"

Motto: !الموت ولا المذلة

Death before Dishonor!

Battle cry: !بلروح بلدم نفديك يا شاهد!

With our souls, with our blood, we will avenge you, oh honored dead!

Strength (Ideal): ~1,640 soldiers, 94 tanks, 18 self-propelled artillery pieces, 45 armored infantry fighting vehicles.

Addendum est Administratum: Information above is for refounded regiment. For more information about support assets, check full formation tree.

History

pre-Refounding

Records on the 12th's founding are not easily accessible; however, it is known that by the 900s of M41, they were considered one of the elite Tallarn armoured units, having seen battles on multiple worlds. Its size by 997 was estimated as a brigade-sized formation, consisting of roughly 4,040 soldiers, 129 Leman Russes, 30 Demolisher tanks, 11 super-heavy tanks, 106 armored infantry fighting vehicles, and 48 self-propelled artillery pieces.

Due to its size and experience, the 12th was selected as one of the regiments to take part in the Taros Liberation Campaign, 998.M41 (reference with records on Campaign 5692). Assigned to X Corps of the 4621st Imperial Army, the Tallarn's experience in desert fighting were put to good use on the dusty planet of Taros, with much of the 12th's action taking place in the Aestus Desert. Despite their experience and strength, however, the 12th was martyred and their holy machines destroyed, with the few survivors enslaved to work in the mines. Some that managed to prevent their capture joined up with the Tallarn 3rd Armoured, who was also present in the campaign.

Refounding

The Tallarn have a tradition of a grieving period after one dies, which lasts three to forty days. During this period, it is customary to visit the family to offer one's condolences, and to provide food for the first three or so days. The bodies of the dead - or if irretrievable, as the majority were, an empty coffin to represent their body - would be prayed upon in a special funeral prayer and burial service. Of course, the families of those that had served in the 12th observed this, but in a galaxy full of war and death, normally they wouldn't be entitled to any special treatment beyond the very basics. However, in regards to the 12th, direct relatives were given three day's vacation from work, houses were packed with visitors bearing gifts and food, and in the smaller qaryat where some of the soldiers had been born, rallies were held in remembrance. This was a result of the ignoble fate suffered by the 12th; death was to be expected and possibly even celebrated, but the cruel Tau had stripped the proud sons of the desert of their honor by forcing them to work as slave laborers, and the loss of honor is not something any Tallarn took lightly. The moment the mourning period ended, recruitment stations across the planet swelled with young men, waving their curved khanjar daggers, swearing not to sheath them until they'd drawn blood in revenge.

Meanwhile, however, the Desert Raiders hadn't been idle either.

Are you google translating these? Also Tallarn would be طاللارن. That's a more direct translation. Arabic wouldn't use the nasal -a as the natural pronunciation, the natural sound for a alif in MSA is the -ah sound. Your inclusion of the -agyn would throw off the whole sound. When transliteration Arabic match the natural sounds of the native word, because attempting to include non-English phonetics can throw off the whole word. For instance, my name is Matt, but the nasal -a of Matt or Matthew isn't natural to native speakers, and transliterating my name into مات, is the perfect form of the verb 'to die', so I have to transliterate the whole of Matthew to avoid awkward confusion.

Are you google translating these? Also Tallarn would be طاللارن. That's a more direct translation. Arabic wouldn't use the nasal -a as the natural pronunciation, the natural sound for a alif in MSA is the -ah sound. Your inclusion of the -agyn would throw off the whole sound. When transliteration Arabic match the natural sounds of the native word, because attempting to include non-English phonetics can throw off the whole word. For instance, my name is Matt, but the nasal -a of Matt or Matthew isn't natural to native speakers, and transliterating my name into مات, is the perfect form of the verb 'to die', so I have to transliterate the whole of Matthew to avoid awkward confusion.

msn-wink.gif لغة العربية هي اللغة الأصلية لي

The name is my own personal transliteration, طاللارن is the direct transliteration from Google Translate. The reason I chose "تلعرن" is two-fold, in fact. One, from what I've heard, "Tallarn" is pronounced with an emphasis on the second a, so I decided to represent the first a with a fatha on the taa, then the second, emphasized a would be represented with the ayn-raa-noon (pronounced something like "eaurn", its hard to transliterate the ayn sound). Combined, it sounds like "Teleaurn", which was the closest I could get to pronouncing the English name.

Second reason is because it actually means something in Arabic, even though its linked rather then separated - the word "Tel" (تل) means "hill". "عرن" is my bastardization of the word "areen" (عرين) to fit the "arn" in Tallarn; this word roughly means lair or den. Its sometimes used in a nationalist context IRL (eg. عرين العروبة, "The Den of Arabism"). Thus, I suppose a RL transliteration of Tallarn would be "تل العرين", or "Tel Alareen." This also happens to be the name of a real life village in Syria tongue.png

The name is my own personal transliteration, طاللارن is the direct transliteration from Google Translate. The reason I chose "تلعرن" is two-fold, in fact. One, from what I've heard, "Tallarn" is pronounced with an emphasis on the second a, so I decided to represent the first a with a fatha on the taa, then the second, emphasized a would be represented with the ayn-raa-noon (pronounced something like "eaurn", its hard to transliterate the ayn sound). Combined, it sounds like "Teleaurn", which was the closest I could get to pronouncing the English name.

Second reason is because it actually means something in Arabic, even though its linked rather then separated - the word "Tel" (تل) means "hill". "عرن" is my bastardization of the word "areen" (عرين) to fit the "arn" in Tallarn; this word roughly means lair or den. Its sometimes used in a nationalist context IRL (eg. عرين العروبة, "The Den of Arabism"). Thus, I suppose a RL transliteration of Tallarn would be "تل العرين", or "Tel Alareen." This also happens to be the name of a real life village in Syria tongue.png

Gotcha, my only prac-app was in the gulf, specifically Omani dialect which share a lot with rural Egyptian dialect. Im no good with reading without full voweling, but passable when listening. My own pronunciation is typically Western, and the nasal american -A jacks up my intelligibility to native speakers.

I can understand you reasoning for the spelling better now, and agree with it. I'd never connected it with Tel Alareen, but that's a good catch!

Gotcha, my only prac-app was in the gulf, specifically Omani dialect which share a lot with rural Egyptian dialect. Im no good with reading without full voweling, but passable when listening. My own pronunciation is typically Western, and the nasal american -A jacks up my intelligibility to native speakers.

I can understand you reasoning for the spelling better now, and agree with it. I'd never connected it with Tel Alareen, but that's a good catch!

Aaah, Gulf dialect...eww tongue.png I kid. The one I'm used to is Levantine, which lacks the "gah" but has some weird stuff with the alef and "a" sound. I heard that its from the mixing of older Semitic languages like Akkadian into the Arabic tongue, but I dunno if that's real. We do have some Turkish and French loanwords, though.

Honestly, the Tel Alareen was a pure fluke. I just figured that it sounded like a possible place name when I first created it, but when I searched it a couple days ago, it came up as a real place occupied by 600+ farmers. I guess my realism level was pretty high? biggrin.png

Archived