Word Bearers, Muster for Calth

sheep

Thanks gents smile.png

Arkhan: The plan is for atleast 2k points, but with daemons who knows how big it'll get laugh.png

Kage: That's exactly how I read that conversation too! And was the basis of the comment too, great minds msn-wink.gif

*Update on the previous page*

I feel due to how the series has been farmed out to so many authors, we will always compare them to each other.

No one (IMO) can write Space marines as well as ADB, the initial books are still some of the best in the series, and Dan's are great, (and he is still one of my favorite authors) but First Heretic is my personal favorite, and I think colours my reading of Know No Fear now.

Thanks again guys smile.png

paz: can't believe you chickened out! I'd love to see your take on this scheme.

It was okay, but my problem was that I was also about to begin daemonkin. two red chaos armies, 30k and 40k? bit too much red for me tongue.png

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/1003/shadow/D5ED9328-FDE5-4B6A-9DCB-23D88633FE6F_zpseca4imzl.jpg

Fantastic Diabolist you have there too sheep! Reading "know no nope nadda absolutely not no fear", I was constantly thinking "sweet lord, how dumb can the ultras be, they (word bearers) are soooo chaos".

• 2 months later...

Hi everyone, back from the dead again.

So recently I have moved house and as any gamer or modeler who's goes through this ordeal knows it involves packing and unpacking that most sacred space, the hobby table.

This can be painful, there's a lot of stuff, some of it get broken and things get lost, and it can take a while to get setup again.

Once you do though, it's like a blank slate, none of those half finished projects sitting there staring at you accusingly, no bits of offcuts and chucks of sprue lying around. It can be invigorating to tackle something new.

So with the constant heckling of Rictus I managed to finish the first of my Primarch miniatures, and I started with the big cheese himself, Horus.

This is the first miniature I have painted in a long time that didn't require the use of an airbrush, every step was done using standard brushes, and man am I rusty, it took along time to get back into the swing of blending highlighting and not weathering.

http://i107.photobucket.com/albums/m289/Sheep_06/Sons%20of%20Horus/88E6B0DA-758A-4239-B389-CF35B37F4A08_zpseh1vknbe.jpg

The cloak was shaded with purple inks, to give it a depth, but not be so dark as to be all black, I found that when I tried to use straight black to shade the cloak lost a lot of its regal appearance.

I hope the pictures are a lot better, as I finally invested in a photo booth setup, I bought a Foldio 2, which is a really nice product, easy to use and set up, though not exactly cheap.

http://i107.photobucket.com/albums/m289/Sheep_06/Sons%20of%20Horus/CE6F9794-842F-4B0F-929F-60777CB18D8A_zpsqvl6qab5.jpg

I hope to do some experimentation with photo backgrounds, and might reshoot some of my old minis that I've done to test them out.

I also have 4 more Primarchs to paint (and another I just ordered) so expect some more painting progress in the not too distant future.

http://i107.photobucket.com/albums/m289/Sheep_06/Sons%20of%20Horus/3511C58E-C89F-482B-8555-CDE435DCF919_zpsxz2bgsrb.jpg

Like everyone else involved in HH I have bought a couple of sets of Battle for Calth and will be using them to start my third legion force, so watch that for developments when I finally get them in my hands.

Thanks for sticking around and reading this wall of text if you have, and thanks for stopping by, I hope to increase the tempo and consistency of posts to the blog, but we've all heard me say that before.

Cheers

Sheep

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks for the positive comments guys :)

I've had a collection of Primarchs building up in the background for quite a while, but they've been on the back burner as I finished units for gaming as a priority and uni got in the way.

Since I finished Horus however I've been making steady progress on the backlog and Angron is the second Primarch to be finished.

http://i107.photobucket.com/albums/m289/Sheep_06/Sons%20of%20Horus/CFA7F764-E392-4427-B63A-338C3B8BD5FB_zpsr2mlhwov.jpg

http://i107.photobucket.com/albums/m289/Sheep_06/Sons%20of%20Horus/4B0A5FCD-8304-49FA-8E42-EA57C948AB26_zpstimwayxt.jpg

The model is from my recollection the oldest primarch in circulation, and the sculpt and basing style certainly shows its age. There has been a steady increase in the size and complexity of the bases in the character series, not entirely for the better. I would prefer FW to offer a gaming choice that comes without the over the top display bases for a more reasonable price, but that may just be me.

http://i107.photobucket.com/albums/m289/Sheep_06/Sons%20of%20Horus/90C52896-7EDF-4C74-882C-0350638EA3AC_zps0xvhjinh.jpg

To that end I've actually decided not to paint the display bases for the rest (most) of the primarchs, providing me with fodder for conversions and objectives, as well as saving alot of room in the display case as well.

http://i107.photobucket.com/albums/m289/Sheep_06/Sons%20of%20Horus/91DD37E3-8971-441B-995F-0BEFFE7F5587_zpsj1pvhyie.jpg

I have also decided to paint the remaining primarchs to a good TT standard to get them ready for some gaming. There was talk of a Primarch death match series at some of the tournaments in Brisbane which I think would be really interesting. 

http://i107.photobucket.com/albums/m289/Sheep_06/Sons%20of%20Horus/8B279AC0-9BF7-4612-B91C-5DAB002C52BD_zpstsj1ccyr.jpg

As you can see from the photos, I have experimented with a darker background for the pics this time, oddly it seems to make the images of the models lighter, and I actually had to dim the lights so the images didn't look too washed out.

Which background do you prefer? What do you think of AngryRon, is he showing his age, or holding up well?

Cheers

Sheep

I still think it's an impressive sculpt, although I can't help feeling how cool he would look in a more relaxed pose (if that's possible for the Red Angel :S), standing tall with both of his axes held at his side. Regardless of the pose, the primarchs are looking ace.

Your paintjob for Angron is brilliant! 'Nuff said ;)

As for the model itself, I still think it's an excellent piece (although I'm maybe slightly biased here ;) ). Not only is it a perfect incarnation of the character (which is why I don't think a more relaxed pose would work all that well. The only alternative would be some kind of predatory prowling), but it also does an amazing job of pulling together influences from most of the different pieces of Angron artwork that existed before and turning it all into something that is a good fit for each of those sources. He remains one of my favourite Primarch models, to be honest, mostly because he's one of the models that actually look like I had envisioned the character in my head. The same cannot be said for several other FW Primarchs.

Thanks lady and gents :)

And thanks to everyone that liked the post, you all blew up my notifications :D

Atia: he really does have the best cape, everyone else's is all blank and boring. Fur is the future, it could be described as pimpin.

Soric: an alternate pose would be cool, but the books describe him as hunched in pain, with constant nervous tics as the nails mid fire into his head, so I doubt there was ever an instance of him regally surveying the battlefield.

Krautscientist: don't get me wrong, I still like the model! I'm just proposing that as the beta test for the primarch series the model has been surpassed by the next iteration of sculpts. Even fulgrim is a lack luster sculpt now, the proportions and posing leave somethings to be desired after seeing kurze and Horus.

The worst sculpt though is mortarion with his awkward scythe swing and lorgar with the most boring pose ever.

@ sheep: Oh, I perfectly understood what you meant, it's just that I don't necessarily agree ;) I cannot comment on the quality of the sculpt, as I haven't seen a Primarch model firsthand so far. But I don't think I'd change anything about Angron, even if he were to be released now, as one of the last Primarchs. The piece just clicks for me and is a far better representation of the character than some of the more recent Primarchs, in my opinion. Fulgrim was always kinda awkward, with that very specific pose (conceived so he would resemble that one piece of artwork, I imagine) and the strange hair ;)

• 1 month later...

Hello all. Welcome to another belated update.

Firstly as to why it's been so delayed, I'm expecting an addition to my life shortly, a baby girl, this as you can imagine is equal parts terrifying and exciting for me and has absorbed a lot of time and the kid hasn't even been born yet! She's due to arrive in 6 or so weeks so expect updates to be even slower than they have been after that.

In other news I've finished Aurelian, Lorgar of the Word Bearers.

http://i107.photobucket.com/albums/m289/Sheep_06/Sons%20of%20Horus/6976DA8B-285E-42C6-98D0-FF1E201FD493_zps2tngr6dy.jpg

As you can see he's only been done to a decent table top standard as he was batch painted with a bunch of tactical marines, and I actually ran out of Baal red during painting him.

http://i107.photobucket.com/albums/m289/Sheep_06/Sons%20of%20Horus/DB70BD7C-289B-4957-AAA4-4F4BCD42867B_zpsd1j827jz.jpg

I replaced to top of his crozius with a plastic piece from my bitz box (the warriors of chaos I think) as I lost part of the resin original in a house move.

All in all I'm pretty happy with how he has turned out, and will post some more progress pics of the word bearers as soon as I can take pics of them.

Arac: stay tuned mate, I have more of them on the way.

Hushrong: I have a lot of tactical marines, gal vorbak, and a dreadnought I'm inordinately proud of ;)

Kraut: I agree about Fulgrim, his pose generally makes no sense , and that's one of the problems forgeworld will always have with the character series, whatever they do it will never match everyone's interpretation of the books, imagination is a hard thing for them to predict for every fan of the series. But they've done a pretty good job so far (Coraxs hair being the exception ;) )

So, uh. Tell me more about those reds on Horus. Damn, dude, you really knocked it out of the park there - the whole mini is spectacular, but that purple-shaded red is really rich. Fantastic work. What were the actual reds involved?

Also your astartes look great, and I love the yellow eye lenses and especially the hazard stripes on the chainblades. Looking forward to seeing more!

Thanks mate :)

The red was just heaps of glazes and highlights followed by more highlights and glazes. I started with a mechite red, highlight up to blood red through some mixes. I the. Glazed it back with Baal red and the technical paint blood for the blood god, and glazed the recesses with the purple leviathan wash, and mixed some black wash in for the deepest shadows. And some final blood red highlights. It was a pretty organic process actually.

Not sure if that helps lol.

Archived