Loyalists' Strategium

simison

Well, ish. Dont forget the Cognis own a sizeable part of the mechanicum, this means the traitors have quiete alot of technology too. If we would look at the divided power of technology, it is about 60% loyalist, 30% chaos. And 10% undivided

Look at the canon Imperium. It has a full complement of forge worlds and it still only equips the bog standard Guardsmen with flak armour and lasguns. It's simply not worth it and too expensive to give every guardsman a suit of carapace armour and a hot shot/hellgun. While this isn't terribly good gear, the troops who survive scavenge/loot/create better gear for themselves so the best troopers end up with the best gear. It's a win-win. The troopers who die within the first 15 mimutes of their first deployment don't have anything on them you'd lament losing while the ones who survive get improved equipment without you needing to lift a finger.

In addition, Icarion doesn't need to take the forge worlds(which would no doubt be a costly endevour). He just needs to disrupt their supply of raw materials either by raiding the convoys carrying those materials or the worlds themselves and then the forge worlds are as good as useless or at least producing a lot less. That's another thing: supply issues. Can you imagine the logistical hell of resupplying so many troops if they use bolt guns? The costs outweigh the gains. A lasgun you just stick it in their hands and tell them to leave it out in the sun for a bit if it needs recharging.

Now, bearing in mind the first two points, also remember the Imperium is going to be raising A LOT of men at the same time in order to meet the front's manpower needs. These won't be veterans with years of training or elite stormtroopers who've spent years in the Schola Progenium. These will be ordinary men and women who were getting on with their normal lives until someone tapped them on the shoulder and told them they were now in the Imperial Army and were expected to fight the forces of the traitor, Icarion, until their last breath. Their aim will be bad(especially under pressure) and they will likely be killed off quite quickly until you're left with a few who were skilled, ruthless or just plain lucky enough to get that far. Those are the troops you'll want to give the fancy weaponry, not the terrified conscript fresh from his homeworld and with only a few weeks of training.

Now as to armour, perhaps the Imperial Army(as they began to take up more of front covered by the Crusade so that the legions aren't spread too thinly) began to give troopers a somewhat improved variant on flak armour. Slightly bulkier than usual flak armour and covering only the upper body really it's flak armour reinforced using the run off from tank and power armour production. While it still doesn't stand a chance against a bolter round at close-medium range, it is able to stop or slow down a bolter round so that, while the trooper may incur a broken bone or some bad bruising(depending on the range) from the impact of the round on his armour, he won't be instakilled by it and he'll live to fight another day. The armour would also be proof against most artillery or grenade shrapnel(if the troopers wasn't hit directly). This would be a pretty good armour, not too difficult or expensive to produce and at the same time it protects the trooper to a degree(bearing in mind they were never supposed to end up in battle against a space marine).

But if in the early go the already decimated Bears are making a stand for a key Forgeworld I don't think Alex is going to be abandoning worlds of such value.

True, there will be a priority list with some planets left without garrisons while some will have full-on defenses. 

And Sig, those are all good points.

Also, I had a couple of ideas as to how Alex could man the Imperial Army:

- Every criminal of any kind within the Imperium is to be drafted into the Imperial Army, not executed or out in prison.

- Any redundant Adeptus Terra personnel are also to be drafted.

- For the duration of the Insurrection, any Rogue Trader willing to allow his ships or retainers to become part of the Imperial Army until the Insurrection is over or the ship destroyed/retainer killed will be payed a "maintenance fee" for the use of those, to be payed either in Thrones/whatever currency or in compensation such as governorship of a world once the Insurrection is over(terms changing depending on quantity of people or ships supplied obviously).

- Workers who are viewed as lax may be drafted.

Agreed with those ideas, with the Penal Legions being deployed to the more desperate battlefields, except with two. I can't remember, what is the Adeptus Terra? And, I wouldn't say workers who are viewed as lax, but are lax. Say, if a worker shows up late to his shift more than four times, off to the battlefield!

Agreed with those ideas, with the Penal Legions being deployed to the more desperate battlefields, except with two. I can't remember, what is the Adeptus Terra? And, I wouldn't say workers who are viewed as lax, but are lax. Say, if a worker shows up late to his shift more than four times, off to the battlefield!

The Adeptus Terra are the administration of the Imperium, so some of them are bound to be made redundant by the Insurrection and the Imperium will need soldiers more than it will need administrators

Edit: Got bored and so fluff time(just for flak armour though....I have no idea why I insist on writing fluff for these things)

M31. "Triumph" Pattern Flak Armour

As the Great Crusade ground onwards, reaching out ever further from Terra the Legiones Astartes began to be stretched out over ever greater expanses of space, their numbers unable to keep up with the number of warzones the Imperium was deploying troops into. As it became evident that the lack of sufficient numbers of astartes was slowing the Great Crusade, the Warmaster ordered that the Imperial Army must be deployed on its own to crush the remnants of xenos and renegade empires whose back the legions had broken. While this role placed the Imperial Army out of the direct line of fire with the strongest foes that humanity faced, it gave them a far greater role in humanity's campaigns than they had previously had. However, within a few years of the Imperial Army being deployed in an active combat role it soon became apparent that the standard issue flak armour didn't offer sufficient protection for it to be given to frontline troops.

​In response to this, the Warmaster ordered that the basic design be adapted and strengthened to such a point as it was appropriate to the new role assigned to the Imperial Army. The resulting armour was the M31. "Triumph" pattern. Built to the same template as flak armour, the Triumph pattern was also reinforced with ceramite, adamantium and plasteel that was the run off from the fabrication of power armour, tanks, naval vessels and even titans or that was of inferior quality to what was needed to make the aforementioned items. While this lent the armour more bulk and such reinforcements were confined to the helmet, upper torso and arms it made the armour better able to withstand the stresses inflicted upon it on the battlefield. Another addition that was made was the addition of a gorget(often stamped with the increasingly common emblem of the Imperial Aquila) in order to protect the troopers neck.

​Over the decades that followed the initial adoption of the new pattern, it gradually became standard issue for troopers of the Imperial Army(although some veterans insisted on continuing to use their old flak armour on the grounds that, according to one veteran I spoke to, "It made a man out of me. Give a trooper too much protection and he'll go soft, just like these new lads are with the new armour"). While the new armour resulted in more cases of broken bones, it significantly reduced the number of fatalities and so was kept as standard issue by the Warmaster.

It might be that some Forge Worlds are simply stripped of their assets, which are moved back behind the immediate borders. I guess we'll have a string of fortress worlds, heavily decked out with void defences.

Come to think of it, the Loyalists might have a better chance relying on space warfare to keep their lines secure.

Did we figure out the initial borders, by the way?

It might be that some Forge Worlds are simply stripped of their assets, which are moved back behind the immediate borders. I guess we'll have a string of fortress worlds, heavily decked out with void defences.

Come to think of it, the Loyalists might have a better chance relying on space warfare to keep their lines secure.

Over the course of several years I could see that working but in the opening Insurrection I don't think so as you can't move an entire world's worth of industry in a few months. Even a few years might be pushing it. As for constructing fortress worlds, the Imperium may not have the resources to properly fortify every world it would have to properly. It's a large empire and it's resources are enormous as is its population but they're not limitless. The Imperium can't launch a major programme of fortification, expand the Imperial Army to the enormous size that's needed for this kind of war, rebuild a load of shattered legions and fight Icarion to a standstill on the borders. It simply doesn't have the resources. Sure it could create a temporary surge in the number of troops it has by using up all the weaponry of any type it stockpiled pre Insurrection and conscript the troops to use them and then throw them into the war in an attempt to slow Icarion but that surge won't last long, the Imperium simply doesn't have the weaponry to equip all the troops. Sooner or later some forge worlds are going to be abandoned simply because Alex doesn't have the resources to hold it and he doesn't want to waste what troops he has on an unwinnable battle and if Icarion moves quickly enough following the Day of Revelation then there's going to be a lot of those where the Imperium won't be able to hold the world and they won't have enough time to evacuate anywhere near all of the world's industry.

And no, I don't think we've decided upon the borders yet.

There's going to be mostly a mix of Hit-and-Run warfare mixed with fortifications. Given the size of the galaxy, the focus will be on fortifying strategic worlds, instead of the entire border, and using those key points to sally forth and hit Traitors.

I loosely defined the borders a couple days ago. While there are rebellions throughout the Imperium, Icarion creates his Nova Imperium around the Maelstrom and expands outward.

Othnil awaited his sentence in the small cell. The small man, like others judged, disagreed with the authorities that his actions had constituted a crime. Unlike others, Othnil could honestly say that he had stolen nothing or shed anyone's blood. What he had done was tell the truth. An uncomfortable truth that the Imperium struggled with. 

The Emperor, praise be his name, was a god. 

Despite his claims to the contrary, the Emperor had worked miracles through his own divine power. As in the myths of old, he was immortal and and great in presence. And, as an angel, he had come to humanity in its darkest hour to bring salvation. The evidence was undeniable. If that wasn't enough, Othnil had personally witnessed the power of the Emperor brandished against the forces of darkness, a score ago. Ever since that day, he had been a faithful disciple of the true Imperial Truth. 

Which had led to his current predicament. He understood not everyone was ready to embrace this truth, although the people of Mictana owed much to the Emperor. He had tried to ensure his testament reached only those ready for this truth. Yet, as the Agent of Darkness, Icarion, spread his evil across the stars these past, terrible decade, Othnil's small congregation of a few dozen had exploded as hundreds more sought comfort and hope. It was perhaps inevitable that word would reach Governor Snow's ears. Othnil held no ill will toward the Governor, who was merely carrying out his duties. 

The cell door unlocked as two guards stepped in. "Prisoner #59285, come with us."

Othnil obeyed, his old bones struggling for a moment with the simple action before he hobbled towards them with a back long exhausted by work in the mines. To his surprise, one of the guards held out his cane. "Thank you, young man," he murmured as he accepted his cane. 

Silently, they led him out of the prison barracks, and, in another surprise, to the prison complex's administration building. Although he burned with questions, Othnil dared not ask any of them. Was he to be executed? Exiled? They led him to an elevator and picked the highest level. From there, they walked in toward the center of the building. At last, the guards stopped outside of a set of double doors. "Prisoner, proceed inside," the right guard ordered as he opened one door.

Othnil studied the guard's face for any hint of what awaited him in the room, but the guard's face was blank. Steeling himself for the worst, he shuffled inside. The door closed behind him. He froze in wonder and awe.

He was inside a conference room, dominated by a large, center table, ringed by chairs. At the opposite end of the table sat the Warmaster, Alexandros. In a moment, Othnil could feel his fears fade away by the aura of this loyal son of the Emperor. He fought the urge to fall to his knees in devotion.

The Warmaster smiled. "Hello, Othnil. I have a gift for you."

"My lord," Othnil managed to whisper out, "I am unworthy." 

The demigod chuckled and gestured for Othnil to sit. "You may think so, but I'm sure many of your followers would disagree. Your body may be old and broken, but I can see your spirit. It is a powerful fire that attracts others with its strength and its warmth."

Uneasily, Othnil sat, his amber eyes avoiding the Warmaster's emerald eyes. Although he did not wish to contradict the Emperor's son, he said, "They are not my followers. Merely fellow seekers." 

The red-maned Primarch nodded as he sat in his military uniform. "There is some truth in what you say, but it is also true that they look to you for guidance."

Othnil couldn't counter that one without lying, and he dared not sin against the Warmaster. "I still don't know why I am here, my Lord. Is my punishment to be severe?"

"There will be no punishment," Alexandros assured him. "On the contrary, I am here to free and commission you."

"Commission?"

"I know the rumours have already begun circulating throughout this planet, indeed, throughout the Imperium." The Warmaster's face hardened. "Tales of corruption, of dark sorcery employed by the Traitors." 

"May they suffer an eternity of damnation," Othnil refrained before freezing. It had become a common curse among the believers that it had spilled out without thinking.

There was a touch of regret to the Warmaster's expression. "I am here to tell you that there is truth to the rumours. A few of my brothers have contacted demonic beings within the Warp and have traded humanity for power. These same beings, they feed off misguided faith. Faith, despite what the Imperial Truth has said, is a powerful weapon within the Warp."

Every drop of wisdom was clutched and cradled in Othnil's minds. Yet, each one provoked a thousand new questions. One, in particular, burned brightest. "My lord, why reveal these things to me? I am but a man, closer to the grave than to life?"

The Warmaster smiled, a smile that empowered Othnil's spirit. "On the contrary, Othnil, you will be my most powerful weapon against the evils of the Warp. Remember what I said, faith is power. And who have you placed your faith in?"

"The Emperor," Othnil breathed.

"Yes, what you and the others believe is true. The Emperor is a god in human form. As we speak, He guards Terra and battles the daemons who seek humanity's ruin." The Warmaster pointed to the table's center. For the first time since entering the room, Othnil saw a book in front of him. It was titled, Lectitio Divinitatus. "For noble intentions, my father hid his divinity behind the Imperial Truth. No longer. The Imperial Truth has served its purpose, and it is to be replaced by a new Imperial creed. You are to spread the faith, Othnil, speak the truth. As the creed spreads, the stronger the Emperor will become."

Othnil tentatively reached out and ran his fingers across the book's face. "But, my lord, should you not have chosen someone on noble Terra? Why here? Mictana III is but a simple mining world. The other planets are either mining or agri-worlds. How can the truth spread from here faster than on Terra?"

"The Stormlord's spies have weaved a net over it. Although no enemy ship orbits above her, make no mistake, Terra is under siege." The Warmaster explained as he stood and walked over to Othnil. "The Mictana system sends her supplies throughout the Imperium. As you spread the truth here, it will attach itself to the supply convoys and spread it throughout the galaxy. I have foreseen it."

Excitement grew within his heart, but Othnil had one last question. "Warmaster, I know you have seen this future and will not fail you. But, will I see the end of the Traitor's evil?"

Alexandros knelt down and spoke to Othnil eye-to-eye. "I do not know when this Insurrection will end, but I do know that you will not see it. You are right, the strain of the mines will end your life in a few years. Take heart, what you begin here will reverberate through the decades to come. And, you will not face this burden alone. You will have a companion." The Warmaster knocked on the table twice.  Behind Othnil, the door opened to allow another to enter, a woman. "This is Euphrati Keeler. Like you, she saw the true evil we are fighting during the Great Crusade. A glimpse, really, but it was enough to awaken her to the truth. Now, the Emperor's power shines in her."

Other men would have balked at knowing how short their lifelines were. Not Othnil. With conviction that could move a mountain, he said, "I will make every day count, Warmaster."

The piece is cool, but I'm not sure how the emperor would feel having Alex encourage his worship as a means to combat the warp. After the emperor dies, sure, but the Emperor is still alive at this point and he nearly destroyed the word Bearers for doing the same thing. I just have trouble picturing Alex, who is the Emperors chosen champion, to slap him in the face by going against his wishes and encourage his deification for military gains.

Edit: Additionally, one of the big reasons Icarion wanted to contest the Emperors right to rule humanity was his warp-fueld belief that the Emperor wanted to ascend to god-hood.  This piece is basically saying Icarion was right to rebel...

I suppose there is irony in that. The Emperors Chosen son, Alex encouraging his worship against his wishes, While Icarion His fallen son, Shares the Emperor's disdain for Titles of godhood.

The idea is that the Emperor can't really do anything about it since he's under siege. And Alex is desperate to stop Icarion and Chaos.

The idea is that the Emperor can't really do anything about it since he's under siege. And Alex is desperate to stop Icarion and Chaos.

So, then Alex doesn't believe the Emperor is god? 

Umm....doesn't this essentialy make Hectarion a heretic? What with him having a deamon melded into his soul and all?

Nope. 

So, then Alex doesn't believe the Emperor is god? 

He thinks that by some definitions, he is. 

Well it takes 8ish years for a space marine to receive all the implants.

Then there's the training time.

So the loyalists aren't going to be back to full strength until after the Insurrection(assuming combat losses and only a small % of the population being recruitable) if they ever do get back to full strength

Well it takes 8ish years for a space marine to receive all the implants.

Then there's the training time.

So the loyalists aren't going to be back to full strength until after the Insurrection(assuming combat losses and only a small % of the population being recruitable) if they ever do get back to full strength

The Dark Angels were turning out marines in less than two years in one of the HH novels.

With active Primarchs (and ignoring higher chances of gene-seed defects), you can make a space marine in a year, says the books.

On Hec, since he didn't choose the daemon and struggles against it, he is no heretic. If anything, he'd be more likely to be lifted up as an example, instead of condemned with this early proto-Ecclesiarchy. It could become another major issue post-Insurrection. Store that for later.

Alex is an agnostic, who never really shared the Emperor's militant atheism. But, he toed the party line b/c he wasn't willing to fight it either. He takes a more Roman view of religion. If it doesn't conflict with Compliance, it's fine. Otherwise, exterminate it. When the Emperor is pinned to the Golden Throne, Alex is fully taught the truth about Chaos. He figured out that belief has a tangible effect on the Warp, and puts 2+2 together.

After a decade of being pushed back and losing most of a segmentum, he views the Emperor's atheism as a failed ploy to stop Chaos, and starts up the Imperial Creed.

Archived