Ragnar Blackmane by AD-B, aka you finally got me BL

DarKnight

Got to agree that number of pages means nothing when determining the length of a book. I got Cybernetica when it came out, and despite it having a low page count the text size is quite small and is a decently long read. Seventh Serpent was the same. Deathfire looks huge on the shelf, but with the ridiculous number of chapters there's a lot of white space and empty pages.

I'm still on the fence with this. Wolves aren't my jam, but big fans of the Dark Angels (and a couple of Lion & Wolf duels is a good thing), and generally would get anything A-D-B puts his name against. Still, the price tag is getting a bit ridiculous now, might sit this one out until it comes out in a less limited format.

I see the Wolves continue their tradition of cheap shotting challenging opponents, I approve* and praise A D-B's remark about the Dark Angels not being the forgiving type.

* no sarcasm intended, the Ultras and their successors the Brady Bunch can go frak themselves, inter-chapter interactions should be a very nasty business.

The Lion cheapshotted Russ

I see the Wolves continue their tradition of cheap shotting challenging opponents, I approve* and praise A D-B's remark about the Dark Angels not being the forgiving type.

* no sarcasm intended, the Ultras and their successors the Brady Bunch can go frak themselves, inter-chapter interactions should be a very nasty business.

I was going to mention that, but the name of "wolf lord kieran" may appear as a bias here.

WLK

And Grimnar cheapshotted that Grey Knight GM. That's what I was referring to.

Anyway, the important thing is that the two chapters fight, and to the death.

Two sucker punches were thrown that day. Only one Primarch walked away.

Grimnar did indeed...though he had reason to be angry.

EDIT: Also, the GK Grand Master was not "challenging" Grimnar. They were just standing face to face.

I guess the Lion had reason to be ticked off as well

Grimnar did indeed...though he had reason to be angry.

EDIT: Also, the GK Grand Master was not "challenging" Grimnar. They were just standing face to face.

'challenging opponents', as in opponents who would be a challenge in personal combat

Not to get off topic, but you can't claim cheap shot after a honorable parley was violated. Grimnar & Blackmane's situations were two completely different events, Chapter or no. Do you guys know what CONTEXT means?

I assume ur saying Ragnars behaviour is worse?

What Grimnar does is not fully justified...Space Wolves have to show off that indomitable spirit

Not to get off topic, but you can't claim cheap shot after a honorable parley was violated. Grimnar & Blackmane's situations were two completely different events, Chapter or no. Do you guys know what CONTEXT means?

I assume ur saying Ragnars behaviour is worse?

What Grimnar does is not fully justified...Space Wolves have to show off that indomitable spirit

Grimnar is definitely not justified even though if I were in his position I'd probably do the same thing as in protecting the survivors of Armageddon, but I readily admit there are several shades of gray (no pun intended) in the dispute between the GK and the Wolves. Ragnar from what we can tell at this point was just impulsive and lost his temper. Can't really defend that. 

@ Visitor13: Ahem, the cheap shot you refer to, is more to do with having his fleet shot out from under him by The Grey Knights, under Inquisitorial order, when he came to meet with them as arranged under a flag of truce to parley with them.

They fired first because they didn't trust the Wolves and so attacked before being attacked, even though the Wolves had never once fired upon them during the months of shame. Or so they claimed, although I suspect the Inquisitor was hoping to use treachery to neutralize Grimnar and bring an end to things as Kysnaros was obviously losing control of the situation

In that the lesson learned is that you wait for the true viper to reveal himself rather than strike the first target. Maybe Grimnar should have shown more restraint, but when you are betrayed in such a manner ,I find it hard for anyone not to react as Grimnar did. An eye for an eye and all that

It was just a shame he killed the wrong person, as the GM Joras hadn't given the order to open fire it was Inquisitor Kysnaros. Joras was merely an ambitious little puppet seeking favour and glory.

Anyway that is off-topic.

Ragnars situation was a whole lot different and I am sure will be handled differently by A D-B

Got home tonight to find my copy had arrived, astonished how quick it arrived with it being a Bank Holiday last weekend, no 1043.

First read through, so no detailed spoilers at this moment, and even though no doubt coming across as a fanboy but will say ADB has done it again....I want to see a full novel from him that focuses on the Sons of Sanguinius!

No complaints over the length other than the usual-I'm getting to the end of this want more- as the tale jumps between the time after Ragnar's initial elevation into First Pack i.e. the duel with the Dark Angels/the excerpt avail on BL which leads to the history of Space Wolves and Flesh Tearers' at Honour's End and to the present 5 minutes to midnight of 40K where he is the Jarl, leading his company as a rear guard for the Guard as the Black Legion decimate Cadia.

Brief cameo from Night Lords, World Eaters are there as well as an Iron Warrior, as none are named characters, may have missed a subtle reference to their identity if there are as well as a little nod to the previous Ragnar series.

Final thing at the moment was one paragraph in particular, which made me think it's a tribute/reference/homage to the Gunslinger's Credo from Stephen King's Dark Tower series, so if you're looking in ADB, appreciate if you'd answer though not if it's going to interrupt with the Master of Mankind or the latest in the Adventures of Zorbulon...whistlingW.gif

First read through, so no detailed spoilers at this moment, and even though no doubt coming across as a fanboy but will say ADB has done it again....I want to see a full novel from him that focuses on the Sons of Sanguinius!

I cannot count the number of times I have heard the phrase "I want ADB to do a novel on X."

I'v done it myself too. One of these days i'd like to see him do a write up on Post-Heresy Emperors Children and the Slave Wars. It's a battle we've always known they lost(So his style of more humanized and realistically fallible Space Marines is a good fit.) and it wouldn't necessarily interfere with Grahams take on them during the Heresy itself.

Ah well, a man can dream.

Got home tonight to find my copy had arrived, astonished how quick it arrived with it being a Bank Holiday last weekend, no 1043.

First read through, so no detailed spoilers at this moment, and even though no doubt coming across as a fanboy but will say ADB has done it again....I want to see a full novel from him that focuses on the Sons of Sanguinius!

No complaints over the length other than the usual-I'm getting to the end of this want more- as the tale jumps between the time after Ragnar's initial elevation into First Pack i.e. the duel with the Dark Angels/the excerpt avail on BL which leads to the history of Space Wolves and Flesh Tearers' at Honour's End and to the present 5 minutes to midnight of 40K where he is the Jarl, leading his company as a rear guard for the Guard as the Black Legion decimate Cadia.

Brief cameo from Night Lords, World Eaters are there as well as an Iron Warrior, as none are named characters, may have missed a subtle reference to their identity if there are as well as a little nod to the previous Ragnar series.

Final thing at the moment was one paragraph in particular, which made me think it's a tribute/reference/homage to the Gunslinger's Credo from Stephen King's Dark Tower series, so if you're looking in ADB, appreciate if you'd answer though not if it's going to interrupt with the Master of Mankind or the latest in the Adventures of Zorbulon...whistlingW.gif

A Dark Tower reference, really? wub.png Just when I thought I couldn't love AD-B any more....

Loesh,

Cannot count the times I've said it either, and stems from his portrayal of the BA's Black Rage, going back to the first time I read At Gaius Point, or the memories of Khayon in Talon, when remembering the reaction of BA to the weapon that slayed the Angel. Even in Ragnar, it's only a few lines of text

"...his mind flared with stuttering, hazy images of memories that weren't his own.

Scales on the hide of some great beast, rippling in the night. An endless battlement wall beneath a burning sky. A winged demi-god with a sword of fire. The acrid tang of corrupted sweat..."

but enough to want to see ADB with the BA or involved with the Siege of Terra when the HH series gets there.

SteelPaladin

As I said, reminds me of the DT credo:

"He killed not with his blade, with his bolter, with his fist, or even with his boot. These were merely tools. Ragnar killed with his heart and soul, pouring himself into every desperate movement, sucking in life with every sawing breath."

Archived