Greetings my fellow B&C members,

I have been following atia's Blog on her Forgeworld models and such. It inspired me to do my own WiP thread for my forgeworld models especially since this is my first titan (warhound) that I'm assembling and want to show it off and do some step by step with plenty of pictures to follow.

I ordered a Warhound titan, Turbo laser, plasma blast gun, deredeo (with all components), and titan crew on foot (because why not). I want to sort of have the titan crew on foot slotted into the base of the warhound for display purposes later on when I get to the base.

Now lets begin shall we?

As I eagerly awaited the UPS man to deliver my package yesterday Aug 27, 2015. When the package arrived not only was it heavy but it was big and when I opened the box of goodies this is what my first glace was:

WP 20150827 18 23 35 Pro

After I opened the envelope which has a thick plastic square ( my guess for the eyes on the titans head? ) the brass panel for the carapace and then this:

WP 20150827 18 24 10 Pro

wub.png A very beautiful piece of parchment indeed!

So from there on I started to get the jitters out and calm myself down after massaging the baggies of resin for a good hour. I assembled the bags and separated the kits and put it on my table like so:

WP 20150827 19 34 59 Pro

WP 20150827 18 42 36 Pro

I noticed when I opened and looked at the leg armor bag that I have Four pieces of leg armor for the shins. Two have the imperial eagle and banners and two are plain i guess to give you multiple options which I thought was nice. I opened and expected each piece in every bag and to my joyous surprise the amount of warping on the kit especially smaller pieces was very minimal one 4 or 5 pieces had mild warping, nothing a little head gun can't fix.
Thus I started the arduous task of sawing, sanding, filing, clipping, brushing, and cutting the flash off of every piece of resin in the kit (except the smaller parts such as small pistons the purity symbols etc). I started about oh.. 6:00 PM and finally finished at 2:40 AM this morning haha. This did not include the deredeo... it took my almost 9 hours straight to cut all the flash off just the warhound. The Hardest part of this part for me was the 2 big shoulder pieces... it took a good 15-30 mins of good sawing to get those solid pieces of flash off and sanded down.

WP 20150827 19 39 56 Pro

WP 20150827 22 00 56 Pro

Now that all the flash was removed I decided to go ahead and do something easy: the titan crew on foot. No warping of any kind and very little flash was on the model after i cut the biggest piece off from base of course very nice casts and models rolleyes.gif

WP 20150827 21 14 59 Pro

So now that most the pieces have the flash removed now it's time to give the kit a bathtongue.png After I return from work however.... the sad realities of life keep my away from my titan while I am at work at the moment....geek.gif

More to come later!!biggrin.png

Please let me know what you think! Any advise is welcome smile.png

Number 4074 blink.png Shouldn't surprise me but it really does. Are you going to frame it? happy.png

Also, you said on the member status update thingy that you were almost done with it. Erm, how??

Almost done assembling it silly! I holding off on painting and adding the armor plates on until i paint it and Im saving this bad boy for ETL 2016 msn-wink.gif Yes I am going to frame it! It was so much work... I spent 6 hours a day on it since I got it and finally completed it today. so lets see I received it the 27th of august and finished it on september 4th... I spent 3 hours on it today and 5 or 6 hours every day before... so i spent a grand total of 50+ hours assembling and making the base for this bad boy. Ill take some pics and post them up in a moment biggrin.png

So continuing from my last update I gave the baby a bath in my kitchen sink. I used cheap dollar store dish washing soap and to my sad disappointment the really big pieces such as the shoulders, carapace, armor plates, and other pieces that had alot of mold release on wouldn't come off at all so I went and picked up some Dawn Ultra and used that and took that mold release off in no time or hastle. If it helps I filled the sink up with very very hot water I let the pieces sit for about 10 minutes before scrubbing with a hard bristle tooth brush for the bigger more solid pieces, and I use a soft tooth brush for the smaller for brittle pieces such as pistons. I put about a Tablespoon of soap in for every quart of water and I had close to 4 gallons in the sink . lucky me my sink has two sides right next to each other Anyways The left side of the sink was the hot water and the right side was filled with cold water with no soap in it. That's where i placed the pieces after I scrubbed them, then after they sat in there for 5 minutes I placed them on a thick beach towel to dry for a full day.

WP 20150828 20 35 16 Pro[1]

WP 20150828 20 35 21 Pro[1]

Now why that went on and dried, I started to formulate what I was going to do for the base. I wanted something like a heroic pose or something cool with a narrative. What I found though at my local hobby lobby was a half inch thick 10" round wooden circle for about $2.99 which is what i choose to use for my base. I also bought about a pound of DAS white air dry clay as well to add texture to the base and I wanted to make the base snow themed it was about $9.99 for that. I also got a old un painted rhino of mine.... and destroyed it Haha. Some of you may be thinking that clay won't stick to a wooden base, well those of you who say that are correct it does stick to wood.... unless you do that I did which is stick my clay in a cheap plastic bowl (I bought solely for this purpose) and mixed 10 drops of super glue for every little handful of clay and it would stick to the base quite nicely. These pics are the product of my ideas which I thought turned out quite nicely. I also put a mound of clay and stuck my titan crew in them to make an impression of their bases to they can be on the base with their titan when it isnt being used in a game happy.png

WP 20150829 18 57 39 Pro[1]

WP 20150829 18 57 26 Pro[1]

WP 20150829 18 57 18 Pro[1]

I then decided I wanted to pose the one foot of the warhound of top of the rhino ( I know it's totally original right never been done before!! sarcasm ) But alas I loved the pose. So I put the feet together First assembling the part the toes attach to the main foot part save for the rear toe. I saved that for last. I ran into an issue with the foot not being high enough on the rhino and it didnt look exactly right to me. So I stuck a rhino top door on top of the rhino and another bit from an imperial bastion kit... the <?trap door?> i guess. I put 18 X 2 mm rare earth magnets in the hole on top of the trap door and dremeled out a hole for the magnet in the bottom of the foot. ( Some might say I was crazy for this but I magnetized one foot to the base so that while I was assembling the whole Leg assembly I could pivot the foot to fit or move around to how i see fit to make the legs then once I had the desired pisition I JB welded it to the rhino). Once I put the foot pads down where i wanted them i then assembled the toes tot the proper angles and dry fitted them *ALOT* DRY FITTING IS VERY IMPORTANT WITH THIS KIT. I used JB weld on the toes because they and the main supports to the base and I didnt want to pin anything in this kit. After the toe sections were glued i proceeded with the pistons, be careful not to cut too much off you can always cut more off but you can never put the pieces back that you cut. After every time you cut the pistons down do it little by little measuring each time after i measured it. After all the toe pistons were done I JB welded the right foot to the base and to the clay it was under. That was it for that day I let the JB weld dry and cure and the next few days I worked on the leg assembly.

The Leg assembly took time and patience I used sticky tac to hold the pieces together in the fit I wanted and used a felt tipped marker to mark the angels at which everything went together in the way I wanted it too. I started with the left leg shin-knee-thigh-ball joint did this twice. I waited about 30 minutes in between each part I put on because I used JB weld and my own mixture of ZappaGab medium and thick glue on every joint and crack with a pop-sicle stick and tooth pick. I did one leg the day before and the other day the next and once both of those were dried I put to use the magnetic foot on the rhino and stuck the pelvic part in with JB weld as well.

WP 20150831 21 49 36 Pro[1]

WP 20150831 22 19 31 Pro[1]

WP 20150831 23 05 37 Pro[1]

This is all I'm going to do for today Ill put another update in a few days guys smile.png

Archived