The Grail Wardens: a Liber Astartes Group Project

Doctor Perils

It can be a normal chapter. The name has nothing to do with how they act, lol.

The name does reflect their theme though. The Blood Angels have blood and angel motifs. The Ultramarines are ultramarine. The Space Wolves are... well, the Space Wolves. You can't have a chapter called the Crimson Corsairs (or whatever), give them crossed cutlasses as an emblem and then not have them be space pirates!

It would be awesome, though.

Edited by Sir Perfluous

Ok wait, do we currently have a dark angel successor that is part of the campaign? Like one already established?

As part of the later Grail Warden group? No. All we have is an original DA member atm.

If we're not going with the theme, I can always port that over to the Silver Sons...

Sorry, which theme for the Silver Sons ?

I'm all for the swashbucklers, but probably codex-adherent swashbucklers :tongue.:

Ok wait, do we currently have a dark angel successor that is part of the campaign? Like one already established?

As part of the later Grail Warden group? No. All we have is an original DA member atm.

Even then it's a possible DA chapter, to put some extra diversity into the original Red Crusaders.

Maybe they can be the chapter that betrayed us?

They could be, but so could SlaveToDarkness's Knights Resplendent.

If we're not going with the theme, I can always port that over to the Silver Sons...

Sorry, which theme for the Silver Sons ?

I'm all for the swashbucklers, but probably codex-adherent swashbucklers :tongue.:

Yeah, I meant the highwaymen/buccaneer theme. Come to think of it, I don't really have to flesh out the Silver Sons much (they are doomed, after all) so making them a similar theme isn't going to break anything.

But we don't need the diversity, really. Originally it was going to be a blood angel thing, and then Cesar ended up being a fist, so we compensated. If we don't have a DA, we don't need to compensate for it.

What ever chapter betrays us is one of the founding chapters. That is what creates the need for what is going on. It is what starts this chain.

Also, the more non blood Angels we have, the more people we are constantly in contact with that we need to hide our secret from. most chapters don't know about the flaw, and it's harder to keep a secret when you are always around people.

But we don't need the diversity, really. Originally it was going to be a blood angel thing, and then Cesar ended up being a fist, so we compensated. If we don't have a DA, we don't need to compensate for it.

What ever chapter betrays us is one of the founding chapters. That is what creates the need for what is going on. It is what starts this chain.

Also, the more non blood Angels we have, the more people we are constantly in contact with that we need to hide our secret from. most chapters don't know about the flaw, and it's harder to keep a secret when you are always around people.

Quite true. And looking at the edited OP, there's pretty much zero diversity amongst our chosen chapters. It's all BAs so far.

Quite true. And looking at the edited OP, there's pretty much zero diversity amongst our chosen chapters. It's all BAs so far.

That's really only because Cesar hasn't given me an updated reference sheet for the Crimson Knights yet :tongue.:

You're probably right about it complicating matters having a DA successor in on this... However, I don't understand why it necessarily has to be one of the original Red Crusaders that betrays the rest ? If the Grail is stolen millenia after it's creation and the creation of the Grail Wardens, does it still have to be a founder ?

But if the [scarlet Avengers] are the ones to betray us, it would fit the piratical swashbuckling theme.

Because the Grail being stolen is what starts the chain of events where the other chapters are recruited.

Personally, I'm not a fan of swashbuckling space marines, that's for rogue traders XD 

But I guess if it's fleshed out good it will be good, so I'll have faith in Olis!
And we can change the dark angel to a blood angel chapter, so we would still have the same number of founders.

And the chapter we had as the traitor can be shifted back. From what I understand he hadn't set up his background yet. He threw out some ideas, but I got the impression it was brainstorming. So we don't have to change that, just the date and such.

Edited by Arkangilos
Posts merged

Any objections to the dead BA Chapter being called the 'Scarlet Avengers'?

I'm still not 100% sure what it is they're avenging, though.

Fair enough. Let's try at least to get them properly named by the end of today, okay? ^_^

Any objections to the dead BA Chapter being called the 'Scarlet Avengers'?

I'm still not 100% sure what it is they're avenging, though.
Fair enough. Let's try at least to get them properly named by the end of today, okay? ^_^

How about the Devices of Plot? :p

Though if we were going to name them seriously, we might need to consider their Founding purpose, unless we call them something generic like the Reapers of Blood. They can always change their name after they commit to the guarding of the Grail.

The Imperium, Sanguinius, the human race. 

They are a crusading chapter that swore to never stop until the Emperor and Sanguinius have been avenged?

I don't know, but I don't think it really matters :tongue.:

And I don't think chapters are named based on what they are founded for. And chapters are founded to protect the Imperium, that is what it boils down to. 

The Scythes of the Emperor aren't armed with Scythes.

Edited by Arkangilos

They are a crusading chapter that swore to never stop until the Emperor and Sanguinius have been avenged?

I don't know, but I don't think it really matters :p

Fair point, but if you were to name yourselves the "Avengers" I think you really need to be avenging something specfic. Unless, of course, you're a band of superheroes, though I can't wprk out what it is *they're* avenging either. :p

I'm not saying we shouldn't name them that, just that we'd need to figure put why they chose that name. We might end up with something quite interesting.

And fair points about the names and Founding (I posted this before reading), though the Scythes are of the Emperor, ie, they reap enemies in his name. They don't nessecarily need to actually wield scythes. But I get your point. Chapters are probably named more following the Rule of Cool than actual relevance!

Edited by Sir Perfluous

I don't know, but I don't think it really matters :tongue.:

Fair point, but if you were to name yourselves the "Avengers" I think you really need to be avenging something speciic. Unless, of course, you're a band of superheroes, though I can't wprk out what it is *they're* avenging either. :tongue.:

I'm not saying we shouldn't name them that, just that we'd need to figure put why they chose that name. We might end up with something quite interesting.

Well, they are. They are avenging the Emperor and Sanguinius. It would be like the Angels of Vengeance or whatever. But I get your point.

Also, there is a chapter known as the Avengers that showed up in a chapter approved by name, so meh. Lets go with something else!

Scarlet Knights?

Knights = savior of humankind, protecting something, start a crusade to reclaim something

Scarlet = red

This would work!

Edited by Arkangilos

Uhm... Crimson Knights and Scarlet Knights ?

I'm not particularly convinced...

Scarlet Swords ? Cardinal Swords ?

Otherwise, I tried having a look at the chapter name generator and it came up with ... Patriarchs. Scarlet Patriarchs ?

Although... César de Quart has the Crimson Knights. These might clash.

EDIT: Thørn you spotted it a minute before I did. Damn, I just wasted a post by not reading properly!

Patriarchs may be a bit obvious if we plan on having them be the parent of a few of our chapters.

The Scarlet Cardinals or the Red Cardinals don't sound too bad.

Edited by Sir Perfluous