The Grail Wardens: a Liber Astartes Group Project

Doctor Perils

If you want me to, I can PM you all a snap chat name or whatever, and we can watch the coin flip live. 

(If not, I got tails. Olis might want to do the real flip though, I trust him!)

We trust you. ^_^

I've been playing around with the Space Marine painter and I've come up with this colour scheme. Could it work ?

http://www.bolterandchainsword.com/sm/bpe=8F041B&bpj=242424&bp=8F041B&bpc=8F041B&hdt=8F041B&hdm=8F041B&hdl=8F041B&ey=64E164&er=8F041B&pi=8F041B&nk=8F041B&ch=8F041B&eg=64E10A&sk=64E10A&abs=242424&bt=8F041B&cod=8F041B&ull=8F041B&lk=242424&lll=8F041B&lft=242424&url=8F041B&rk=242424&lrl=8F041B&rft=242424&slt=242424&sli=8F041B&srt=242424&sri=8F041B&ula=8F041B&lel=242424&lla=8F041B&lw=242424&lh=8F041B&ura=8F041B&rel=242424&rla=8F041B&rw=242424&rh=8F041B&bg=FFFFFF&rb=242424&gr=242424&wg=true&mk6=true&aq=true&robes=C41E3A/spacemarine.jpg

You know what I first had in mind?

Behold the Royal Guard!

http://static.comicvine.com/uploads/original/1/18627/1302554-crimsonempire.jpg

Thinking about it, that would probably fit. The surviving Cardinals would be the absolute elite guarding the grail. ^^

Yep, Carmine Cardinals. Second to fourth founding, created for the purpose of the Red Crusade from the hallowed gene-seed of Sanguinius.

EDIT:

I've just started rolling a few of the other things from Deathwatch:Rites of Battle, here's what I've got:

• Codex Demeanor: Suffer not the Alien to Live
  • Gene-seed deficiencies: lost zygote of the Neuroglotis
  • Chapter Flaw: Eye to Eye
  • Greatest hero of the chapter: Chapter Master (bane of Orks)
  • Medieval Wasteland Homeworld (Distant Rule)
  • Combat Doctrine: Thunderhawk Assault
Edited by Lord Thørn

Yep, Carmine Cardinals. Second to fourth founding, created for the purpose of the Red Crusade from the haloed gene-seed of Sanguinius.

Awesome stuff.

Though when you say haloed, do you mean hallowed, or that it has halos?

XD I just don't know how to spell :tongue.:

I wouldn't say the red crusade is why they were founded. I don't think chapters get founded for campaigns.

They get founded to operate within certain areas, or as a response, but not for individual campaigns.

So I would say they were founded during x founding to help restore order and defend x sector. Later on, they participated in an imperial crusade that became known as the red crusade. After the victory, they then went on as part of the founding of the Grail Wardens.

<p>

I've just started rolling a few of the other things from Deathwatch:Rites of Battle, here's what I've got:

Wouldn't gene-seed issues be passed on to their descendants (ie, us)?

And we might be able to tie in the ork-hatred to the reasons for the crusade. The sector was riddled with orks, we went in to smite them etc, but then realised that they were being backed by Chaos, at which point the thing became a full blown crusade to get to the rift and deal with the problem before the rift widened.

<p>

While that's true, my Red Sentinels could probably live without a Neuroglottis.

<p>

And we might be able to tie in the ork-hatred to the reasons for the crusade. The sector was riddled with orks, we went in to smite them etc, but then realised that they were being backed by Chaos, at which point the thing became a full blown crusade to get to the rift and deal with the problem before the rift widened.

I was thinking that this gene-seed defect could appear after the other chapters were founded. Of course the neuroglottis isn't a massively important organ.

In any case these are just some randomised possibilities to flesh out the chapter, it's not obligatory.

For the founding reason, Rites of Battle states that chapters may have been founded to take part in crusades, but that isn't one of the major pieces of info.

Here is the thing, though: It takes decades to found a chapter. 

First, it happens only once in a long time, during a founding.

Second, they have to select the gene seed.

Third, they have to select the training cadre. Then the training cadre has to assemble. (This alone could take years of travel)

Fourth, they have to make the equipment/supply the chapter, which is a massive undertaking.

Fifth, they have to actually get the recruits (remember, it can take over a decade to get a recruit into a fully fledged battle brother. Now, you have to do that with 1000 guys, while maintaining purity of selection). 

Sixth, you have to actually get the chapter there.

All told, it would take at least half a century to have a fully battle ready chapter. The crusade would likely have kicked off by that point.

On top of that, it is far too specific, in my opinion, to give a founding for something like that. If they wanted a crusade, they would call chapters that were already at full strength, and a crap ton of Imperial Guard (who do the majority of the fighting, anyways).

Also, if anyone was created for this particular sector, that chapter would automatically be the one who is granted the right to protect the grail, so we wouldn't the Grail Wardens, as the chapter itself would be able to dedicate the whole of itself to protect it.

The idea behind the Grail Wardens is that there was no one to protect it, and so we each made an alliance where all of us (the founders) would protect it.

Edited by Arkangilos

Here is the thing, though: It takes decades to found a chapter. 

First, it happens only once in a long time, during a founding.

Second, they have to select the gene seed.

Third, they have to select the training cadre. Then the training cadre has to assemble. (This alone could take years of travel)

Fourth, they have to make the equipment/supply the chapter, which is a massive undertaking.

Fifth, they have to actually get the recruits (remember, it can take over a decade to get a recruit into a fully fledged battle brother. Now, you have to do that with 1000 guys, while maintaining purity of selection). 

Sixth, you have to actually get the chapter there.

All told, it would take at least half a century to have a fully battle ready chapter. The crusade would likely have kicked off by that point.

On top of that, it is far too specific, in my opinion, to give a founding for something like that. If they wanted a crusade, they would call chapters that were already at full strength, and a crap ton of Imperial Guard (who do the majority of the fighting, anyways).

Also, if anyone was created for this particular sector, that chapter would automatically be the one who is granted the right to protect the grail, so we wouldn't the Grail Wardens, as the chapter itself would be able to dedicate the whole of itself to protect it.

The idea behind the Grail Wardens is that there was no one to protect it, and so we each made an alliance where all of us (the founders) would protect it.

I suppose, but then again a crusade also takes decades to put in place...

But we can find another reason for the chapter to be founded :smile.:

It was founded to bring death to the enemies of man. Maybe in a series of sectors there was a rising number of threats, it was just one of the lucky ones founded as a result.

I think we are looking at the founding thing too much. A founding has a reason (it's a response) a founded chapter has mission. Like guarding the eastern fringe, guarding the maelstrom, something like that.

So basically: huge Ork invasions happening everywhere -> founding -> this chapter will go to this front, this chapter to that front. There is a crusade at that front, send this chapter there!

Also. Crusades don't take decades to get rolling. It only takes about a couple of years to have a thousand regiments of IG raised. If you waited a decade dor a crusade, the soldiers raised would have died by that point.

What takes a decade or more is deciding to do one in the first place.

Edited by Arkangilos

So, to recapitulate :

http://www.bolterandchainsword.com/sm/bpe=8F041B&bpj=242424&bp=8F041B&bpc=8F041B&hdt=8F041B&hdm=8F041B&hdl=8F041B&ey=64E164&er=8F041B&pi=8F041B&nk=8F041B&ch=8F041B&eg=64E10A&sk=64E10A&abs=242424&bt=8F041B&cod=8F041B&ull=8F041B&lk=242424&lll=8F041B&lft=242424&url=8F041B&rk=242424&lrl=8F041B&rft=242424&slt=242424&sli=8F041B&srt=242424&sri=8F041B&ula=8F041B&lel=242424&lla=8F041B&lw=242424&lh=8F041B&ura=8F041B&rel=242424&rla=8F041B&rw=242424&rh=8F041B&bg=FFFFFF&rb=242424&gr=242424&wg=true&mk6=true&aq=true&robes=C41E3A/spacemarine.jpg

[table=Carmine Cardinals][/table]

gallery_77459_11299_11073.png

• Primarch..................... Sanguinius
  • Founding.................... Third (M32) ?
  • Homeworld................. ?
  • Organisation............... Codex Adherent
  • Successor Chapters... Red Sentinels, Knights Resplendent, [?]

So, founding members:

Sanguinary Crusaders, Carmine Cardinals, Knights resplendent, and Crimson Knights?

Sounds pretty red to me. :wink:

better be red than dead? 

Don't let the 1950's hear you say that. :P

Moving swiftly on, the 'modern' (well M38) version of the Grail Wardens currently comprise of:  

• Sanguinary Crusaders
  • Crimson Host
  • Sir Perfluous' Chapter (Brother, do you have a name in mind, yet?)
  • Crimson Knights
  • Red Sentinels
  • Silver Sons
  • Archangels

That's it so far, right?