Heresy Death Shroud DG Terminator WIP

WolfofWinter

I finally got around to assembling my HH terminators a couple of weeks ago and I wanted to try my hand at painting a pre-heresy scheme. As I have a soft spot for Nurgle, it makes sense that I've also a soft spot for the Death Guard too. I never planned on having a HH force, and I probably still don't (I mean, how expensive????) but I liked these guys too much and so I picked up a set at this year's Adepticon.

Originally he was undercoated in black, then i'd figure I'd try a white undercoat instead, and went with that. I forgot how much of a pain in the neck it was painting over a white base coat. Black is a lot more forgiving and easy to work with. Still, it pushed me to work harder, which is good! I'm about 2/3 done with my first guy. I wanted to try the recipe out on one first before working on the others. I wanted to have a little bit of weathering, but not too much, as sometimes I think it's easy to go nuts on the weathering and obscure your brushwork.

So here he is so far, let me know what you think!

http://i868.photobucket.com/albums/ab241/lairofthehorde/f416b217-71f9-41eb-9a18-e39dc69f2054_zpsbnlcaugw.jpg

http://i868.photobucket.com/albums/ab241/lairofthehorde/23849c55-c07f-4a2a-a4d4-40f414651b98_zpsuhxytncz.jpg

Obviously there are some lines and whatnot I have to tidy up, but that's why he's in the WIP thread msn-wink.gif Now I need to order some transfers from FW... wish i'd have thought of that at Adepticon lol!

What color should the studs on the armor be? white? silver? argh!

Looking great! I'm painting some of these at the moment too (btw, they're Grave Wardens, not Death Shroud). Looking forward to seeing the squad.

Thanks!!! and DOH!!! I knew it was one or the other. Brain fart, but thanks for the clarification. I'll change the thread title if possible!

That looks amazing! If you wouldn't mind how do you do the battle damage on the leg plates?

Thank you!

The armor chips are really easy to achieve. I get a piece of foam (usually one from a miniature blister pack) and rip off a corner so I have a wedge shape. Choose the color that you want to use (in my case, Privateer Press 'Umbral Umber'), and dip the wide end of your wedge into the paint, not too much, as you'll wipe most of it off anyway. Wipe the excess paint on a paper towel and then just stipple the sponge lightly on the areas you want to show the weathering. That's it! :)

Impressing work, man! I can tell from experience that painting over white is a pain in the rear armour, even though it helps if you're painting very vibrant colours such as red or yellow(or both of these, in my case). I must agree, the battle damage is very well done, especially on the fist, where it's applied around the fingers and knuckles. Simple but effectivehappy.png

As for the studs on the armour, I'd probably paint it white or very dark boltgun metal-ish, since silver and white are basically interchangeable as colours(in heraldry). I'd go with white, to be honest. You can make some nice, brown "droplets" as signs of rust running down from the studs. That'd look sweet!

Anyways, some very fine work here as always. I'm looking forward to the whole squad!

Snorri

Impressing work, man! I can tell from experience that painting over white is a pain in the rear armour, even though it helps if you're painting very vibrant colours such as red or yellow(or both of these, in my case). I must agree, the battle damage is very well done, especially on the fist, where it's applied around the fingers and knuckles. Simple but effectivehappy.png

As for the studs on the armour, I'd probably paint it white or very dark boltgun metal-ish, since silver and white are basically interchangeable as colours(in heraldry). I'd go with white, to be honest. You can make some nice, brown "droplets" as signs of rust running down from the studs. That'd look sweet!

Anyways, some very fine work here as always. I'm looking forward to the whole squad!

Snorri

Cheers Snorri!

So here is an update, I went with the white studs, although I still need to add some rust drips. The finish line is almost in sight for this guy (almost!) I also started adding more of the oxidization on the brass parts. This is a new thing for me, so i'm wary of it, but I like the results!

http://i868.photobucket.com/albums/ab241/lairofthehorde/5eb19254-2a37-4f3a-a2c8-ad06506f0e04_zpstyzr0d6i.jpg

Archived