http://i.imgur.com/sw08S4d.jpg

Greetings Brothers, I have only taken the first breath towards my new project, that being my Eternal Fists chapter of Adeptus Astartes. You can find my thread about the background and lore of my chapter here.

It has been a few years since I last even thought about painting a miniature, having suffered a huge setback when a base coat on a number of miniatures went awry, I grew distraught at not seeing any clear or easy way to remedy the issue and salvage the miniatures, and thus gave up on 40k altogether. 

However, I recently tried the Simple Green method and it worked for the most part. I plan on doing it again to see if more paint will come off once the weather cools down. 

Alas, I digress, as I've created this thread to document the creation of my new chapter, a project that is rather extensive and will involve a number of firsts and challenges. I plan on trying my hand at Green Stuff sculpting for the first time, I plan on working with resin for the first time. I'm also looking forward to ordering a number of awesome miniatures from Forgeworld as well. I'm planning on modelling the entire First Company, large portions of the 3rd, 5th and 10th Companies, and then small portions of the remaining companies of the chapter. Until then, I already have a number of plastic kits stacking up in front of me, and I've already hit a road block: 

The color I've frustrating set in front of myself to paint has been incredibly difficult to achieve reliably. 

http://i.imgur.com/JncznN1.jpg?2

After much hunting, I thought that going the Nihilakh Oxide route was going to give me the bright hue that I so wanted, and in many ways it has. The problem, however, is that the paint is so thin that it's very unreliable when it comes to touching up the inevitable mistake that will happen when it comes time to use another color, and any mistake I make will likely either show through, cause discoloration in the turquoise or both. I'm wondering if anyone has any suggestions for a similar brilliant turquoise that might remedy my situation. 

Below is a selection of the colors that are part of my chapter. Please visit the Liber Astartes page linked above for an explanation for their disparate color schemes. I'm currently working on the 1st Primaris company of marines, which features the Turquoise pauldron and white trim. 

http://i.imgur.com/weiIkLw.jpg

P.S. I'll also post pictures of my buddy's Space Wolves, as he's done some really outstanding work on them so far.

IF you're still having problems with your paint scheme, consider using a Combo of Baharroth Blue Underneath the Nihlak Oxide. Might help you with the thinness of the Nihlak.

Or Lothern Blue.

Look forward to seeing how they turn out!

Okay, first picture of a trial marine has been posted. 

IF you're still having problems with your paint scheme, consider using a Combo of Baharroth Blue Underneath the Nihlak Oxide. Might help you with the thinness of the Nihlak.

Or Lothern Blue.

Look forward to seeing how they turn out!

So my issue with the color isn't what's underneath the Nihilakh Oxide. I don't want to change that anyways since N.O. over white gave me the exact color I was looking for, and I feel if I do it over any other color, it will darken the look I'm going for. 

My issue here is that when I go to do the detail/layering/highlighting on the white parts of the armor, if I make any mistakes and accidentally get white on the turquoise part, that mistake will show through since I can't just go over it with turquoise, but instead have to do multiple layers and hope that I don't get any on the nice and pretty white pieces I just painted. 

In all, I'm just looking for something that's more reliable and forgiving than Nihilakh. 

Archived