The Beast Arises

Vorenus

There have been dozens of other insectoid races throughout the galaxy. There's no reason to believe that any of them have anything to do with the Tyranids. Terms like "worker" and "warrior" are extremely common terminology when talking about any hive-living species.

I've just finished Predator, Prey... My verdict. Thoroughly enjoyable throughout, although the first chapter for me was the weakest, but perhaps that was just because it was setting the scene.

The political chapters are masterful and the utter hopelessness of the military action is great to read. It shows nicely how unprepared the Imperium of Man is at stopping a segmentum wide attack.

Also, I was surprised there are multiple attack moons. It makes it much better than having just the single one (ala Star Wars Death Star).

Not being too up speed on previous Imperial Fists history it will be interesting for me to see how they recover from this catastrophe!

Just finished reading the first book in one sitting felt really short only took me 4 hours to read the whole thing anyone else got that or am I late to the party? . It was really fun though played out like a nicely set up action drama, we finally got some Terran politics ;D

Is the second book out Already? I thought it was 1 per month?

Also how can people argue that The Chromes arenott early Tyranid hive. They literally described Gaunts or "man sized, worker" and "Warrior Forms" a term always used for Tyranid warriors. They were clearly an early hive like the monsters on Fenris that degraded and reverted to basic instincts without the greater Hive Mind control.

A chitinous clawed bugs of human size or bigger doesn't literally scream Tyranids to you?

Why can't the species on Murder be a proto Hive too, etc etc. Not every mega-arachnid race should be a Nid offshoot. 

Besides, the Chromes are explicitly said to inhabit whatever gravitational/ftl dimensions the Beast teleports his attack moons through, and are being forced out of it by said Ork. That right there is information enough to give us a good approximation of why the Chrome aren't Tyranids.

Oh I don't know man.. Maybe because they are not described as 1.8 meter slow bulky hairy apes?

Yet they are described as bipedal with ten digits per appendage, scalp hair, two eyes, and the use of language. Sounds like humans to me.
They have filthy xeno pointy ears.

So anyways back on topic eh?

I finally finished the book and all I can say for it is just one thing: Wow. 

It has to be one of the best books of 40k I have read outside of the heresy since titanicus! all the characters are fun, the new space marine chapter is awesome, some of the plot twists are crazy and the implications for future events are cool.

I only wish we got to see the mechanicus a little bit more military-wise, but thats just the unregulated fanboy in me. It's good to see the orks absolutely wreck everything they get their hands on and are treated more like a force of nature now instead of a regular army, at least to me.

emperor damn I love this series.

Due to Chapter tradition, the Fists Exemplar required their members to leave their armour unpainted[/size]

That's very cool. I made a DIY Fists successor a few years ago and part of their founding story was that the new marines fought in bare ceramite for a century or so until their leader judged them to have earned colours and livery of their own. Maybe this is something similar?

Just finished Beast Arises last night. I'm still pretty new to HH and 30K/40K in general (less than 3 years) and I really liked  the Imperial Fists. It was nice to read more about their background (which I still know only a little about) and I was caught off guard with their portrayal of Orks with advanced tech. Really scary and makes me wonder if we'll see this down the line in the 40K verse. Also learning a bunch just from people's comments so thanks also!

The reason for the unpainted ceramite is "Chapter tradition and requirement", but the conditions on their homeworld (very high solar radiation) give it a "sooty, chromatic sheen, the same bronzed quality" as the heat effects people paint on flamer/melta nozzles. I'm imagining a large range of tones from slightly dirty to very dark metallic brown.

Well, Thinking back on the book and about to give it a second re-read after I finish Scars, I wonder...

What will Happen to Undine now? Yes all life has been eradicated and probably the oceans are all but gone, but what will they do with the new "lifeless rock" they created for the imperium? Will it become an ork world for them to build crazy things? will the orks just abandon it? I think it would be an awesome place for more stories possibly centuries down the line.

Imagine the ocean trenches and undersea rock formations now laid bare. It would have tons of canyons and deep pits that could be exploited. Maybe the mechanicus comes back to it for the resources that was once hidden by the oceans but is now exposed? That would be awesome for a battle, Titans and stompas fighting in once deep sea terrain that dwarfs even them, battleing over natural resources and scrap from a war long ago, With the bones of long deceased deep sea predators littering the ground getting crushed by the engines of war.

Eh, I can dream can't I?

Well, Thinking back on the book and about to give it a second re-read after I finish Scars, I wonder...

What will Happen to Undine now? Yes all life has been eradicated and probably the oceans are all but gone, but what will they do with the new "lifeless rock" they created for the imperium? Will it become an ork world for them to build crazy things? will the orks just abandon it? I think it would be an awesome place for more stories possibly centuries down the line.

Imagine the ocean trenches and undersea rock formations now laid bare. It would have tons of canyons and deep pits that could be exploited. Maybe the mechanicus comes back to it for the resources that was once hidden by the oceans but is now exposed? That would be awesome for a battle, Titans and stompas fighting in once deep sea terrain that dwarfs even them, battleing over natural resources and scrap from a war long ago, With the bones of long deceased deep sea predators littering the ground getting crushed by the engines of war.

Eh, I can dream can't I?

The oceans may evaporate in the global fire storm, but the water has to go somewhere. Surely it'll eventually rain back down onto the lifeless rock and refill the seas?

Eh, I can dream can't I?

The oceans may evaporate in the global fire storm, but the water has to go somewhere. Surely it'll eventually rain back down onto the lifeless rock and refill the seas?

...Dammit. I haven't thought of that D= that totally ruins my idea!  what would cause the water to just disappear if anything, I was thinking that it would just vanish but I guess your right. Darn you science!

Eh, I can dream can't I?

...Dammit. I haven't thought of that D= that totally ruins my idea! what would cause the water to just disappear if anything, I was thinking that it would just vanish but I guess your right. Darn you science!

Feel free to keep holding onto that idea. This is not a hard science setting; it is filled to overbursting already with things that are far from scientifically sound.

Not the least of which being that Terra's own oceans are simply gone, with the explanation given that they were boiled away in atomic fire. The Marianas Trench itself becomes home to cliffside-hugging settlements. At least it was. Night Lords happened.

Eh, I can dream can't I?

...Dammit. I haven't thought of that D= that totally ruins my idea! what would cause the water to just disappear if anything, I was thinking that it would just vanish but I guess your right. Darn you science!

Feel free to keep holding onto that idea. This is not a hard science setting; it is filled to overbursting already with things that are far from scientifically sound.

Not the least of which being that Terra's own oceans are simply gone, with the explanation given that they were boiled away in atomic fire. The Marianas Trench itself becomes home to cliffside-hugging settlements. At least it was. Night Lords happened.

Thats actually a good point. I forgot about that! Besides even if the oceans are still in atmosphere in rain maybe the mechanicus or orks have use for it in one of their hair-brained schemes.  I'm having a cool idea for some terrain from this thought, if I could make terrain.

Finished reading it last night. Must say I thought the writing was solid but the book felt like several short stories strung together. Unless we see something later from the twin Mechanicum forge worlds or Undine the former water world then those chapters were just padding. I was hoping we would start to see just how the Orks of all things got their hands on the technology to pull off what they are doing. The descriptions of these Orks make me wonder if these are all some version of Smart Boyz that in our current 40k setting were practically wiped out by the actions of this unfolding series.

Predator/Prey are the much better book than Abnett's 'Slaughter'. Yes, sometimes it is read as an anthology of short stories. But they all lead and give more to show the orcs as a menace than all the first novel. And that is good - cause to that moment, even after the Abnett book, the orcs still seems like big green stupid beasts. 

Our coverage of The Beast Arises series started today. We'll cover each book after 2-3 weeks of release and should be joined by the book's authors for most of these. Hope you enjoy. 

http://traffic.libsyn.com/combatphase/Ep_129_-_The_Beast_Arises-_I_am_Slaughter.mp3

Hey everyone! We talk news (Fyreslayers, AoS Chaos, podcasts), games played and hobby. Robert joins Kenny where the Mid-Atlantic is pounded by a freak blizzard while Northern Sweden is graced with but a mere dusting of flurries:) 

This is the first of 12 book clubs as Combat Phase does coverage of the 12-book series The Beast Arises. Each month we aim to cover the current release before the next book hits the shelves. We hope to have the author on for each of the books. We know who authors each book in the series at this point except books 10 & 11. Naturally, there are SPOILERS but each book is a quick read, with audio books at 6.5 hours.

Give us a listen and let us know what you thought about the book. Hit us up on Twitter @combatphasepodc or www.facebook.com/combatphase

Enjoy!

Oh I don't know man.. Maybe because they are not described as 1.8 meter slow bulky hairy apes?

Yet they are described as bipedal with ten digits per appendage, scalp hair, two eyes, and the use of language. Sounds like humans to me.

Ten digits per appendage ?

That's how humans look like in Alabama ? tongue.png

Archived