The Beast Arises

Vorenus

Has anyone seen the blurbs for the next few books?

There's some juicy things going on:

Koorland forms the Deathwatch. Koorland evicts Lord Guilliman from the Council, the Fists Exemplar side with Iron Warriors somehow and there's a slight chance Vulkan turns up to lead an attack on the origin world of the Ork invasion

But it is probably just a really badass Salamander...one can hope.

I posted ep 135 Combat Phase yesterday where David Guymer discusses AoS fiction but in his upcoming works section he tells us very briefly about his upcoming works. Book 6 will be centered mostly on the Fists Exemplars as their story. Exciting series and very captivating . I look forward to a Unification Wars or Ecclesiarchy madness series, which I am wishlisting here only.

We might not think 700 years sounds like a long time for the Imperium, but that's thinking both from an out-of-universe perspective where dates are just numbers and you can skip from 781.M31 to 544.M32 in the blink of an eye and it's thinking from an M41 perspective where seven centuries is not that significant compared to the ten millennia plus that the Imperium has existed.For the in-universe characters in TBA the First Black Crusade is completely out of living memory at least several times over (except in the most extreme cases).

Wealthy Imperials like those who command amd rule the Imperium often live for centuries with the help of juvenat treatment and cybernetics and possibly other life extension techniques

...and would adeptus astartes forget the 1st Black Crusade in such short order? How about the custodes captain general who is a High Lord?

700 years really isn't that long of a time...even in-universe

I don't think ordinary mortals outside the astartes and mechanicus are going to be living for more than two or three centuries, so 700 years is a long time. It's at least two-and-a-bit human lifetimes, equivalent to at least 150 years today. No government foreign policy is going to be based so heavily on events that long ago, not when there has been no indication that the threat is still real. As I mentioned in the post you quoted, it took the traitor legions 700 years to do anything significant and then nothing since then. Even then, most of the defences are focused on they Eye of Terror - a long way from the heartlands of Segmentum Solar.

There are no transhumans amongst the High Lords (with the possible exception of the Fabricator General - and the mechanicus is famously insular)

The High Lords at the time of TBA are:

Lord Commander Militant of the Astra Militarum (Heth)

Ecclesiarch (Mesring)

Inquisitorial Representative (Wienand)

Lord High Admiral (Lansung)

Master of the Administratum (Tobias Ekharth)

Grand Provost Marshal of the Adeptus Arbitrators/Arbites (Zech)

Fabricator General (Kubik)

Paternoval Envoy of the Navigators (Helad Gibran)

Master of the Astronomican (Volquan Sark)

Master of the Adeptus Astra Telepathica (Abdulias Anwar)

Speaker for the Chartist Captains (Juskina Tull)

Lord Commander/Lord Guilliman (Udin Macht Udo)

So no Custodes representative, and even if there were he wouldn't have much impact. The custodes are tasked with protecting Terra and the Emperor. Another Black Crusade is unlikely to even threaten Segmentum Solar, let alone Terra. Even if it did it would be with plenty of warning. No teleporting moons for the forces of Chaos, they have to travel weeks, months and years through the warp.

On the ground local militaries and the astartes may not be as complacent (especially further out into Pacificus, Obscurus, Tempestus and Ultima), but in the upper reaches of Imperial government there is nothing to worry about.

Koorland forms the Deathwatch. Koorland evicts Lord Guilliman from the Council, the Fists Exemplar side with Iron Warriors somehow and there's a slight chance Vulkan turns up to lead an attack on the origin world of the Ork invasion

It's pretty clear from the blurb as well as the title that they really encounter Vulkan and that he leads their army.

I'm till going to give this series a chance I'm in the middle of reading the first book. After reading that blurb I kind of groaned a bit. Was it really necessary to include a Primarch in this series? Or is Vulkan a title just like Guilliman?

I'm till going to give this series a chance I'm in the middle of reading the first book. After reading that blurb I kind of groaned a bit. Was it really necessary to include a Primarch in this series? Or is Vulkan a title just like Guilliman?

We will have to wait and see...

I was guessing at an early version of Orkimedes being behind the tech but that wouldn't have explained their better battle tactics. The above quote also points to a different direction. Mysteries on mysteries...love this series and how it has gone so far.

Blood Axes exist and show that the tactical capabilities of Orks vary a lot.

Even in the 41st millennium the Imperium spends more time being surprised at Orkish tactical ability than it does easily outmanoeuvring them.

Honestly I just hope above hope that nothing caused the orks to be badass besides the orks. No inquisition plot, no eldar or chaos bullhockey, no genetic tampering by necrons or mechanicus or anything... just a badass ork who got big, strong and powerful on his own accord or under the guidence of Gork and Mork and decided " Ey! dem hummies need a crumpin.... and the rest of the galaxy too! bring out the attack moons!" If it turns out it is some stupid stupid thing like an avatard of kaine or khorn feeding them steroid enfused khorne dogs then I will be awefully sore... as I still buy the books and read them anyways. 

Anyways, how do we know this Vulkan is not, like, a predecessor of Vulkan Hestan? didn't they have a special character based around some bloke wearing his special stuff to kick ass? Maybe it's him.

It's pretty clear from the blurb as well as the title that they really encounter Vulkan and that he leads their army.

The following novel's blurb mentions that Koorland leads the attack on the Ork Homeworld so ... 

The following novel's blurb mentions that Koorland leads the attack on the Ork Homeworld so ... 

No. Nope. Vulkan Lives. Shush you.

No. Nope. Vulkan Dead. Shush you.

One really interesting thing I had forgotten was that (according to the 5th edition rulebook), after this Beast Arising period the Imperium enters The Forging age, which is described as the golden age of the Imperium. I suppose that fluff could be changing, but that might add a really interesting twist to the last couple books (although the preview descriptions of the books don't sound all that golden age/hopeful to me).

numeon is that you

numeon is that you

That moron who believed in miracles in godless universe? biggrin.png

Does he have a bad track record with his writing?

'Death of Antagonis' and 'Damnation of Pythos' - both are irrelevant and blank. But still much better than any Kyme stuff. What Annandale does right - that's chaos stuff. But here - we have orcs.

The Death of Antagonis is about as "irrelevant" as the majority of the Space Marine Battles series. It is about a small part of the background being fleshed out in a novel. It was inventive, had strong spiritual themes (his staple) and had a few surprises up its sleeve. It also gave the Black Dragons actual character and purpose.

Nevermind that he's also written various Yarrick stories, including two novels and a novella, all of which have been fairly excellent and given the Old Man a great amount of detail.

Personally, I hugely enjoyed The Damnation of Pythos, especially after a bunch of bummers in the series. The horror themes were solid, I liked the vicious tainted fauna and the progressively deteriorating shattered legionaries. Sure, the reader knew off the bat that the Davinites were baddies, but for the legionaries it was a balance act through and through. They don't enjoy the same privileges as the reader, so they cannot act on things they do not know or witness, and even then Iron Hands were never known to be great at reading humans.

We'll see Pythos and the Damnation Cache being relevant to the Heresy before long. Without it, Horus would be sorely lacking in daemonic allies.

I've seen a lot of mix on Annandale. Damnation is on my bottom three HH, though I still like all the HH. Bought The Last Wall today and without my audio I might have to get delayed reading printed text like a commoner ;) seriously, I do look forward to it, this series has such short books, Audio is 5.5 hrs and I don't have to listen to Gareth Armstrong suck on a cough drop for almost 6 hours. :)

About halfway through the book, initial impressions are that Annandale knocked it out of the park. For reference I did not like Damnation at all, but did think Death of Antagonis was decent.

He made Krule even more of a badass, and the differing factions all have their own voices and just work well. Very pleasantly surprised.

-Edit

The writing itself is very good. However there is a pretty terrible editing error, which I won't go into here. I don't consider that to be the fault of the author, but I can see how some people might find it hard to get over.

About halfway through the book, initial impressions are that Annandale knocked it out of the park. For reference I did not like Damnation at all, but did think Death of Antagonis was decent.

He made Krule even more of a badass, and the differing factions all have their own voices and just work well. Very pleasantly surprised.

-Edit

The writing itself is very good. However there is a pretty terrible editing error, which I won't go into here. I don't consider that to be the fault of the author, but I can see how some people might find it hard to get over.

Now I'm intrigued?

Damnation of Pythos sat on my bedside table to read for 6 months. Primarilary to do with real life commitments but partly to do with Bolter and Chainswords slamming of the book and not wanting to devote my rare and precious free time to reading another disappointing HH novel.

I recently finished it and don't really understand the hate. Yes it's filler but the author writes good horror.

A personal favourite is the demon at the start of the book describing the want and need and anticipation of breaking through to the material realm once the stage is set. And its depiction of 'faith'.

The novel is badly edited in my opinion, which is humble as I'm.....not an editor, but Annadale can write good Chaos/Horror and I'd definitely be loathe to write him out of a series that gets darker and grimmer.

Saa........

......or something like that

Archived