The Purge

Prot

I wanted to start a topic on this novella.

What a great story. I haven't finished it quite yet as I'm reading a few books right now (almost finished Deathfire) and this is a real gem.

The funny thing is this is a rare book I bought in audio form and I listen to it while chilling out or painting Ultramarines. It is a really cool gem with some great, gritty fight scenes. A real depiction of when this war is on it's knees, with each side literally clubbing each other to death with bloody appendages.

Again I haven't finished this and I don't really have any spoilers yet but this came right out of nowhere for me as I was struggling to find any more Ultramarines HH stuff since Abnett has apparently disappeared. Pick this up if you want to read some gritty warfare and some great characters exchanging blows during the whole Ultramar stuff.

If anyone else has read it, let me know what you thought.

I have been thinking about picking up the novel, it just down to money I've got toward the hobby right now.  But hopeful pick up a copy before end October.  Not sure why but to me there seem to be something cool about the novel & I'm looking forward to reading it.

Judge by your post Prot, your enjoy the novel so far :D

I really liked it too, definitely one of the better HH novellas IMO. It's got good action during the Shadow Crusade, and also serves as a study of Sor Talgron, who I think is a great character I'd love to see more of. Between this and Khârn: The Eightfold Path, I'd be happy to see Anthony Reynolds pick up with the WB and WE after the Shadow Crusade.

I enjoyed the ending a lot too, not in the sense of some sudden twist, but just as a resolution to the main character's journey within the story. Here's hoping you like it too, Prot smile.png

This was a great story, always happy to read me some more heresy era Bearers of the war, was interesting to see the way Sor regarded the path his legion had taken, plus good to see the ultras get their hands a bit dirty

for me this is right up there with ADBs Word Bearers

Another one I really enjoyed, I think because it felt to me as though it was different in scope, and really delivered on something that was interesting in terms of the introspection, and added to the narrative setting.

May give this another read again soon, actually.

I would agree that this is one of the better novellas out there - I got it a while ago during its first run, and it's a refreshing change of scenery and pace from the Shattered Legions stuff that prevalent at the moment.

Having Deathfire mentioned earlier, it's good to contrast and compare the writing of traditionally 'evil' legions from different authors. Deathfire suffered from them being your moustache-twiddling villains that are cliche and boring, but Purge had them much better developed and sinister. There's one point towards the end of the novella (not going to spoil anything here) where they're setting something up for a future time and conflict, and their actions are beyond evil and can only be described as 'Word Bearer'-y, and very reminiscent of Anthony Reynolds first instalment of his WB series. The fighting with the Ultramarines is pure brutality too, on both sides.

More people need to read this novella.

• 2 weeks later...

Guys I just had to come back to this thread.

I didn't want to read too much here because I wasn't finished the novel.... it's a rare audio novel I bought. I typically buy the ones I think are going to be really good and buy Audio's of the ones I am unsure of, or are shorter for times when I just can't read.

This is a case of I couldn't seem to get enough of the audio book. I kept finding excuses to listen to it.

I'll warn you with possible spoilers ahead:

This is easily one of, if not the best story outside of the main HH books for me. This actually felt like it would have been more deserving of a full sized HH novel than some that I have read lately.( Obviously this is just my opinion.)

I am an Ultra fan obviously but -both- sides are portrayed valiantly and accurately by my accounts. The fighting is visceral and like a cage match at this point with both sides of the war bludgeoning each other with dull blades and anything at arm's reach.

The Ultra heroes are good, nothing over the top, and the Word Bearers are great as well. My only complaint here is somehow (similar to most of these stories) the Ultra heroes die, and the 'chaos' heroes don't really seem to die... just get more powerful.

The fighting styles and scenes are excellent. I felt a lot of those punches and the mood is suitably dark.

The action is one thing, but the characters are great. Sol is a great character but I do have trouble understanding his conflict. The good guy in me doesn't see this guy as a Word Bearer, but he is through and through.

I am confused but really loved little touches that show these Word Bearers are somewhat conflicted.... watching a standard bearer bleed out, and noting he killed a truck load of eldar at some battle, and that his soul would be with the Emperor now....

The exchange with Dorn is interesting, and I'm surprised no better tactic is available for seeding out the corrupt than a simple examination by a Primarch. But it is what it is... the scenes are well done and the exchange with Sol's mentor is well done.... as is the ending.

Just a fantastic read. Again it's probably one of my top 5 outside of the main series.

I think that was actually the point. This guy wasn't supposed to be your typical Word Bearer, that's why he was sent to Terra. If people thought he was the face of the Legion, then surely the rest of the Legion might be like him? What no one counted was that even he wasn't a fanatic, he was still deeply loyal to Lorgar. And then of course by the end of the novel, he has his "religious experience" and once again, we're shown that Chaos corrupts absolutely.

I think that was actually the point. This guy wasn't supposed to be your typical Word Bearer, that's why he was sent to Terra. If people thought he was the face of the Legion, then surely the rest of the Legion might be like him? What no one counted was that even he wasn't a fanatic, he was still deeply loyal to Lorgar. And then of course by the end of the novel, he has his "religious experience" and once again, we're shown that Chaos corrupts absolutely.

I did get that, however as I read the character he seemed at such tremendous odds with the Word Bearers, even his actions, his military style seemed far more suited to the Ultra's even. A part of me believed for a moment he wouldn't be able to reach the heinous depths he did sink to. Obviously he put on quite a show for Dorn, and I half expected that Dorn knew, and we would see evidence of this in some way but it never happened.

Anyway, the fact I thought it was almost impossible to see him as a true Word Bearer, and felt he would defect shows the strong writing in this one. I was a bit crushed with the treatment of his old mentor... the lies and follow through of certain events which we will not know the true out come of for a long time (The meteor, etc.)

Such a good read. Phosphex, so rad the way the boys n blue said censored.gif You!

Agreed on how the good guys die and the bad guys get stronger though. Would have been better to see everyone just die.

This is just more evidence that shows a grit that I think no one suspected the Ultra's to be capable of. I go back (personally) to Abnett and t hank him for that.

• 2 weeks later...

Great novella. Interesting characters throughout.

And the way the fighting was written, SUPER visceral. Number 1 for me was the Ultramarines dreadnought killing the Word Bearer sergeant. It's so spiteful and vindictive, loved seeing that side of of the Ultramarines when they had nothing left to lose.

Great novella. Interesting characters throughout.

And the way the fighting was written, SUPER visceral. Number 1 for me was the Ultramarines dreadnought killing the Word Bearer sergeant. It's so spiteful and vindictive, loved seeing that side of of the Ultramarines when they had nothing left to lose.

I agree. The action was visceral. I loved the 'grind' of it.

Novella of the greatest quality for sure msn-wink.gif Actually the best depiction of the Shadow Crusade to date. Even better than 'Betrayer' from A D-B

Since making this thread, I have told everyone I know locally that has written off the HH side books to pick this one up. I don't want to oversell it, but no one has been disappointed with it.

I've just bought the ebook version of the Purge after reading this topic. I haven't started reading it yet, but I'll post my (spoiler free) thoughts when I have smile.png

Great book! Really enjoyed it, as already noted above the very visceral and easy to follow battle sequences. I love the HH novels, but sometimes I find the action is a little hard to keep track of - no need for that concern here, nicely paced. Keen to see more from this author!

Well, thanks to this thread I had to go and purchase this book. Looking forward to reading it!

I'm sorry. I don't mean to overhype the book. Some of the so called main stream storylines have been... a bit of work to get through. And a lot of the subplots have devolved into a repetitive formula. (I don't feel this way about all of them, just some) 

When I picked this up maybe it was my anticipation of more of the same that put me in that frame of mind of lowered expectations. I was pleasantly surprised, and found the subplots surprisingly good for a short tale. 

I'm sorry. I don't mean to overhype the book. Some of the so called main stream storylines have been... a bit of work to get through. And a lot of the subplots have devolved into a repetitive formula. (I don't feel this way about all of them, just some)

When I picked this up maybe it was my anticipation of more of the same that put me in that frame of mind of lowered expectations. I was pleasantly surprised, and found the subplots surprisingly good for a short tale.

*chuckles* No need to apologize. I've been on a bit of a Word Bearers kick at the moment and snapping up everything involving them that I can. Never really thought they'd be one of my top favourite Traitor Legions... Granted, 30k era Ultramarines are really starting to grow on me too, and I definitely never expected that! laugh.png

• 2 weeks later...

Archived