ART - Symbols, Icons and Badges

AlphariusOmegon108

Yep, that does look a lot nicer, have to be honest. Would it be going to far to paint the arrows a dark red ?

Now that we're talking about it, we haven't got a symbol for the Reformists either have we ?

Maybe something like the Institute's Vetruvian Man? It could symbolise the reasons for their division with the Imperium in the Vizenko Prosecution.

http://ih1.redbubble.net/image.169565072.6774/sticker,375x360.u1.png

The arrows should be no problem.

The Vitruvian man would be awesome! I also seem to recall seeing a DNA helix symbol somewhere? If there isnt an "official" symbol yet, I can do that too. I loooove me some logo design.

Edited by drakzilla

Yeah. The double helix was a decision purely on my part, to get the advertisement out. But I also think that the Vitruvian man is an awesome choice. Once we get finished symbols I will insert them into the ad and all the links will update to the new version automatically, so the ad will remain up to date too :)

Sooo, I've made a little google drive folder, here's the link. Head's up: I've not ported the symbols over yet, but hopefully you'll be able to have a look, see if I'm not making too many mistakes.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B48TzXvF2PU9eW93Z3BsSmwtcVk

Edit: sorry, hadn't seen the previous posts. Really like the Vetruvian Man idea http://image.bolterandchainsword.com//public/style_emoticons/default/smile.png Might need to find a way of making him look more martial, but the idea is there.

Double Helix patterns have also been discussed for the Scions Hospitaller, so we'll want to keep things distinct.

Edited by Lord Thørn

Double Helix patterns have also been discussed for the Scions Hospitaller, so we'll want to keep things distinct.

Is that all that we going for the Scions symbol at the moment or are other themes/designs being considered? I might have a few ideas but I'd like to see what's already on the table so to speak, make sure I'm not regurgitating old ideas.

Is that all that we going for the Scions symbol at the moment or are other themes/designs being considered? I might have a few ideas but I'd like to see what's already on the table so to speak, make sure I'm not regurgitating old ideas.

I think the ideas that had been discussed are all on page 2 of this thread, and they're not very detailed, so fire away!

How about a trident which is wrapped with double helix patterns for the Scions, reminiscing the Aesculapian staff?

Here's the original:

http://dccdn.de/pictures.doccheck.com/images/a70/85f/a7085ff5b4b4808b39e5e4ac0e11c5a1/57491/m_1407855633.jpg

Right, I've started putting the symbols in the shoulder pads, if you want to take a look and tell me if their's anything to change.

01 - Lightning Bearers: To be Vectorized and inserted

....... 01 - Harbingers: Unaware of their colours and symbol

02 - XXXXXXXX

03 - Crimson Lions: I'm not aware of their symbol

....... 03 - Blood Wolves: unaware of their colours and symbol

04 - Void Eagles: approved (with reserve)

....... 04 - Morningstars: ready pending approval

05 - Halcyon Wardens: ready pending approval

06 - Iron Bears: Unaware of their symbol

07 - Berserkers of Uran: sort of aware of their symbol, though I can't remember exactly and the link is broken. Was it a single torn angel wing in chains ?

08 - Godslayers: Unaware of their symbol

09 - Warbringers: approved

....... 09 - Steel Guard: ready pending approval

10 - Fire Keepers: ready pending approval

11 - XXXXXXXXXXXX

12 - Wardens of Light: ready pending approval

....... 12 - Apostles of War: approved

13 - Eagle Warriors: ready pending approval

14 - Dune Serpents: approved

15 - Grave Stalkers: approved

16 - The Drowned: ready pending approval

17 - Warriors of Peace: symbol in discussion (or I missed the conclusion) => Ready Pending approval ?

18 - Stygian Jackals: unaware of their symbol

19 - Scions Hospitaler: symbol in discussion

20 - Ghost Walkers: ready pending approval

XX - Nightguard: to be done

Edited by Lord Thørn

Wardens of Light: maybe move the symbol more to the bottom. Otherwise approved

Apostles approved, the raNk makes the color.

Kelborns approach for a scion symbol could be awesome. Maybe a talented.ohotoshoper could kitbash the symbol

Edited by MikhalLeNoir

Wardens of Light: maybe move the symbol more to the bottom. Otherwise approved

Apostles approved, the raNk makes the color.

Kelborns approach for a scion symbol could be awesome. Maybe a talented.ohotoshoper could kitbash the symbol

Okay, I'll do that asap. EDIT: Done

Kelborn's idea would be feasible, even for one that is not too talented (such as me). I'll try a couple of things, to see what Slips' prefers. I must be honest, the Hydra sounds like a weird option to me. And we've already got a lot of creatures in the different legion heraldry, so something more "abstract" might be welcome.

@ Lord Thorn the Fire Keeper symbol can be simplified to just the flame. That's how I'm going to paint it on shoulder pads.

Yep, I thought it would look simpler like that for the shoulderpads, but I didn't want to change your ideas. The Brazier can of course come back for the Legion Banners (albeit in a nicer form, this one was cobbled together in ten minutes at half past twelve.)

EDIT: Done. Should the flame remain gold or do you prefer black (or something else) ?

The Bears is just a bear's foot with a broad diamond shaped paw pad, pre Daer'dd it's single lightning bolt in the White Scars/Shazam style. I apologize for not having them up yet, but I've not had time to use my desktop.

Okay, I'll give that a try. What was their name pre-Daer'dd again ? And their colours ?

EDIT: I've tried something, is that the effect you were looking for ?

Edited by Lord Thørn

-Warbringers symbol: approved.

-Void Eagles shoulderpads are theoretically brass trim and fleet-specific plate, but since I haven't been coherent on that myself I won't complain. That may even be a point of difference between the 1st, 2nd, and 7th fleets. Thus: approved.

-Morning Stars have a white, eight- or ten-pointed star on ultramarine blue, with bright orange trim. Edit: approved.

-If that's of any use, the Steel Guard symbol is a very dark red Chess rook, on black field, and olive (#808000) trim. Edit: approved.

Edited by Skalpynock

Right, I've started putting the symbols in the shoulder pads, if you want to take a look and tell me if their's anything to change.

01 - Lightning Bearers: To be Vectorized and inserted

....... 01 - Harbingers: Unaware of their colours and symbol

02 - XXXXXXXX

03 - Crimson Lions: I'm not aware of their symbol

....... 03 - Blood Wolves: unaware of their colours and symbol

04 - Void Eagles: approved (with reserve)

....... 04 - Morningstars: ready pending approval

05 - Halcyon Wardens: ready pending approval

06 - Iron Bears: Unaware of their symbol

07 - Berserkers of Uran: sort of aware of their symbol, though I can't remember exactly and the link is broken. Was it a single torn angel wing in chains ?

08 - Godslayers: Unaware of their symbol

09 - Warbringers: approved

....... 09 - Steel Guard: ready pending approval

10 - Fire Keepers: ready pending approval

11 - XXXXXXXXXXXX

12 - Wardens of Light: ready pending approval

....... 12 - Apostles of War: approved

13 - Eagle Warriors: ready pending approval

14 - Dune Serpents: approved

15 - Grave Stalkers: ready pending approval

16 - The Drowned: ready pending approval

17 - Warriors of Peace: symbol in discussion (or I missed the conclusion) => Ready Pending approval ?

18 - Stygian Jackals: unaware of their symbol

19 - Scions Hospitaler: symbol in discussion

20 - Ghost Walkers: ready pending approval

XX - Nightguard: to be done

I'm very happy with the symbol for the Grave Stalkers. It looks ace with the red on there too :)

• 2 weeks later...

If I may, I have what I believe may be a more unique symbol for the Warriors, the Qilin, an ancient symbol of prosperity & serenity as well as a mythological creature that ranks among and sometimes above Dragons & Phoenixes in Chinese mythology.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Qilin

EDIT 1: I reckon a simple Qilin silhouette could make a very characterful badge for the WoP, maybe with a pose like this:

http://www.ancient-origins.net/sites/default/files/Qilin.jpg

EDIT 2: Nevermind, I found something closer to what I mean, although it's still a bit more detailed than what I imagined:

http://static3.bigstockphoto.com/thumbs/3/8/9/large2/9831608.jpg

Sort of an update to my previous suggestion for the Warriors of Peace's symbol, I found some better looking Qilin (or Kirin, depending on who you ask) silhouettes that might make for a better symbol than the one I previously put forward. Unfortunately it's rather large, apparently when it comes to image sizes Shutterstock goes all-or-nothing. Anyway, I think the top row silhouettes look and would fit best as a Legion symbol, but of course it's ultimately up to Simison:

http://image.shutterstock.com/z/stock-vector-ancient-chinese-mythology-the-kirin-animal-30498799.jpg

The Crimson Lions symbol is a side view of a lion's head. The head is dark red while the surrounding shoulder pad is bronze.

Hey Sig, would something like this (minus the Crown part) be what you're after?

http://overwatch.blizzplanet.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/02/reinhardt-spray-2-emblem.png

I also tried whipping up a symbol for the Scions, ended up with two different options, please tell me what you guys think:

Edited by SanguiniusReborn

The Lion's head might be a bit too complex as is, but I can see where you're going with it.

I actually really like the trident caduceus (especially the top one)

I can't really say for the Warriors of peace.

The siege on terra could last a year and when the the traitors slowly get the upper hand, the madrigal purge happens from nowhere and hits icarion on a blind spot.maybe?

At FLGS, (BA time!), so two quick points.

One, shorter siege time, good to go.

Two, Jade and the Warriors of Peace can ambush Icarion as Pariahs.

Hehe, somehow i like the complex.liin but thensig has the rename them to lion kings^^

I like the second scion attempt but would try to make the whole thing shorter and broader somehow.

Edited by MikhalLeNoir

I like the second scion attempt but would try to make the whole thing shorter and broader somehow.

I agree that as is it looks a bit thin. I was wondering if Slipstreams would consider painting a stripe down the middle of the pad and inlaying this symbols. I haven't seen this done in any canon sources, and in DIYs only with my own Crimson Host and Cohort, but I don't think it's too bad:

http://image.bolterandchainsword.com/uploads/gallery/album_11321/gallery_77459_11321_7235.png