Leviathan Siege Dread tactics

depthcharge12

Is there anything more enjoyable than murdering a big unit with the Levi's hammer of wrath attacks?  Thematically its just sooooo great.  I played a game against Tau yesterday and finished off a stormsurge with the 2 HoWs after whittling it down with shooting, #satisfaction

Killing tau in general is EXTREMELY satisfying. But to murder them with a leviathan? That my friend is pure ecstasy!

Has anyone used a Levi with a claw+drill+pod?

I just bought one and im wondering how its going to fare as anti armor.

Thinking about getting a second one with the same loadout.

I run mine with claw/drill/Choom /Phosphex and Pod. Its awesome. He's so far in a about 5 games killed a knight, vulkan, heavy support squad, land raider...

I think they're unbelievably good despite the high points cost. Depending on who you playing I wouldn't take lots as they're a big points sink and one I've found is plenty.

Depending on what your mates run they may get fed up with levi Pod spam...

I like gun/melee variants that can do whatever needs doing, but going all melee is as viable as going all ranged.

The all melee variant could potentially get left behind if facing a particularly mobile enemy (I haven't seen any bike lists yet), while the ranged variant can chill in the pod being annoying for a good while.

Has anyone used a Levi with a claw+drill+pod?

I just bought one and im wondering how its going to fare as anti armor.

Thinking about getting a second one with the same loadout.

I run mine with claw/drill/Choom /Phosphex and Pod. Its awesome. He's so far in a about 5 games killed a knight, vulkan, heavy support squad, land raider...

I think they're unbelievably good despite the high points cost. Depending on who you playing I wouldn't take lots as they're a big points sink and one I've found is plenty.

Depending on what your mates run they may get fed up with levi Pod spam...

I just got one exactly like that and I'm contemplating getting a second one exactly like the other.

• 1 month later...

So now after some time has passed....
I got a second leviathan, but arms are not on yet and im thinking about getting a third one and finishing the set :wink:

Out of the two different configurations, which one would you go with? (also, they will all be getting BA assault cannon nipples :tongue.: )

Config 1-
Levi+ Claw, Drill, Phospex - Dread Drop Pod

Levi+ Claw, Drill, Phospex - Dread Drop Pod

Levi+ 2 Storm Cannons, Phospex - Dread Drop Pod

Config 2+

Levi+ Claw, Drill, Phospex - Dread Drop Pod

Levi+ Storm Cannon, Drill, Phospex - Dread Drop Pod

Levi+ Storm Cannon, Drill, Phospex - Dread Drop Pod

Edit, I also need to point out that this is for an Orbital Assault list so all three are coming in turn one.

Edited by m0nolith

I know you're all probably going to think me somewhat insane for this tactic that I need to find time to trial it:

Assured location t1 leviathan drop via nuncio vox toting scout armour recon marines.

Things I've already noted:

To be thoroughly effective it potentially requires 2 squads (minimum size to keep costs down and at least one squad alive long enough to achieve potential).

Drop has to be within 6 inches, however having infiltrate and a free scout move allows for optimal placement.

It Is wholly preferable to go first.

I play terror assault, can fit this into a 2.5k list, and scouts have camo and sniper rifles for hiding and precision shot.

Lev armament for maximum carnage/desired effect needs though. Im strongly of the melta inclination.

Thoughts?

I got a second leviathan, but arms are not on yet and im thinking about getting a third one and finishing the set :wink:

Out of the two different configurations, which one would you go with? (also, they will all be getting BA assault cannon nipples :tongue.: )

Config 1-

Levi+ 2 Storm Cannons, Phospex - Dread Drop Pod

Config 2+

Levi+ Storm Cannon, Drill, Phospex - Dread Drop Pod

Edit, I also need to point out that this is for an Orbital Assault list so all three are coming in turn one.

I would do the following

Anti-tank: drill, lance

Anti-MC: grav, claw

Dakka: double storm cannon

All get phosphex and nipple cannons.

Out of the two different configurations, which one would you go with? (also, they will all be getting BA assault cannon nipples :tongue.: )

Config 1-

Levi+ 2 Storm Cannons, Phospex - Dread Drop Pod

Config 2+

I would do the following

Anti-tank: drill, lance

Anti-MC: grav, claw

Dakka: double storm cannon

All get phosphex and nipple cannons.

I should mention these guys will be pretty much all my anti tank except for the 3 melta bomb armed tac squad sgts.

If thats your ONLY anti-tank then you're better off with more Lances and Drills than you are Storm Cannons.

For one, Storm Cannons cant do jack to Av14+

Keep in mind that one is being backed up by two other Leviathans with drills for the heavier armor, leaving that third for the mid-armor + MEQ dakka.

Okay... So obviously it is a GROSS amount of points...

But how do people feel about using that dedicated Khayrbdis option for a Leviathan?

Would certainly be one cinematic descent... Plus you then have a crazy burninating/ pinning missile/ floating taxi machine in the enemy deployment that doesn't use up an additional HS Slot.

You would give up your turn of shooting on the drop that is otherwise afforded to a normal Lucius pod though I suppose...

If you were to run that beautiful barrel of madness I'd have an assault oriented lev inside because it will certainly hit it's target like terry tate hits a man for eating simones cake

Had to stifle the laugh at the office for that one! :laugh.:

And yeah... Drill/ Claw/ Phosphex would be adequate for that! Not to mention looking absolutely killer.

I don't see any reason why I would use a khayrdbis over the dreadnought drop pod for a leviathan. For over twice the cost of the DDP, you get a few s6 missile shots, and the ability to move the levi further in the turn after you drop in. However that means no shooting on the turn the levi drops in, which seems like a real deal breaker to me. The levi has awesome ranged weapons options, why would you ever want to miss out on using those in the turn you deep strike in. Bombard+phosphex, or 4 melta shots with melta lance+drill is far better than sitting in a khayrdbis for a turn. 

That's entirely depending on what you're intentions are mind.

The krabby D is the "fun" option, and the point is, you can slam out of it, with less risk and your transport can kill things :p

The ddp option allows you to shoot and provides cover, but you do have to weather the attention it's going to attract if things don't go your way.

Both options have pros and cons and either way it's done needs suitable support in place ^_^

Though now I really want to see charlo do it

Apart from the fact that makes people twitch anyway, what's more amusing is that there's 6 hammer of wrath attacks at str8 that could potentially kill someone (multiwound someone at that) just by running at them. And that makes me happy

Edit: it still does the same..shuddup :p

Edited by helterskelter

Flipping things round slightly would grav guns and augury scanners give you pause for thought when choosing deep strke locations?

Think 3-6 grav guns (on 1-2 15 man breachers squads)

They would, as they can quite "easily" strip off HP/ immobilise the dread.

But the difficult terrain doesn't bother it.

Then again - even with 6 Grav guns, depending on scatter you are only looking at a couple of hits - then a 4++ invuln on top... Or they may even have to just kill the pod first?