Devastators in Drop Pods

SM1981

What about two 5 man squads of devs in a FA drop pod, allowing 8 heavy weapons? Again no relentless (unless you get a libby nearby, perhaps in another pod) but a hell of a lot of fire from one squad. Will draw fire though and may result in an expensive unit being wiped out quickly without doing much...

Sorry but it doesn't work like that. Only one squad per non-SHV transport, with the exception being one ten man unit that breaks down into combat squads.

What about two 5 man squads of devs in a FA drop pod, allowing 8 heavy weapons? Again no relentless (unless you get a libby nearby, perhaps in another pod) but a hell of a lot of fire from one squad. Will draw fire though and may result in an expensive unit being wiped out quickly without doing much...

Sorry but it doesn't work like that. Only one squad per non-SHV transport, with the exception being one ten man unit that breaks down into combat squads.

Yeah, just realised that.... Ah well

Sternguard?! (But that's a whole new story...)

I'm not thinking 10 man devastator squads. I'm thinking 4 independent 5 man squads. Each with four heavy weapons. 2 independant squads per pod (as each has a ten man allocation). Is that not legal?

I'm afraid not, sorry :S

Check the dedicated transport rules again.

1 unit per pod, the only exception is that both halves of a combat squadded unit can go in the same transport.

RTFT: Read the thread first rolleyes.gif msn-wink.gif

A way to do it that I've had used against me is the burn-inator squad. 5 man Command Squad kitted out with flamers, supported by a techmarine in full servo harness with a combi-flamer in a pod.

That's 7 flamer templates on the drop turn. Ruins lightly armoured folks such as Orks, Guard and Tau Firewarriors.

In the most recent codex, each command squad veteran is only allowed to take one special weapon and you only have three veterans in the squad. You must take the Sanguinary Novitiate and Blood Champion. They are not optional upgrades.

A way to do it that I've had used against me is the burn-inator squad. 5 man Command Squad kitted out with flamers, supported by a techmarine in full servo harness with a combi-flamer in a pod.

That's 7 flamer templates on the drop turn. Ruins lightly armoured folks such as Orks, Guard and Tau Firewarriors.

How much does that cost though? Unless your running a lot of pods or FA options a four template assault squad is 110 I believe. For tac lists these days I often do two melta pods and one flamer pod, turn one of they have a lot of, or vunerable infantry turn one, or two of you want to today the contents of a popped tank.

I find that there's not much armour (outside of super heavies) that can stand up to two metla-cide squads in drop pods. 2x 5 Assault marines with 2 Meltas and a pair of Inferno Pistols on the Sarge.

If you want to deal with blogs, you cant beat a Fraggioso Dread with a Frag Cannon and a heavy flamer. Points for points, this thing is a wrecking machine and often much harder to budge than a vet squad / dev squad.

I find that there's not much armour (outside of super heavies) that can stand up to two metla-cide squads in drop pods. 2x 5 Assault marines with 2 Meltas and a pair of Inferno Pistols on the Sarge.

I see this and I raise you Eldar vehicles dry.png My Meltacide is now known as "Squad Whiff" as what little actually hits is then negated by their shields (Serpent/Power)

I see this and I raise you Eldar vehicles dry.png My Meltacide is now known as "Squad Whiff" as what little actually hits is then negated by their shields (Serpent/Power)

Squad Whiff would be a good name for a Plague Marine unit. :D

Aim for the rear as the Serpent shield only protects the front and sides.

As Corporal Jones would say, "They don't like it up 'em, sir!"

A clever General will never expose his rear.

"It has been said by tacticians throughout the ages of mankind that no plan survives contact with the enemy. I do not waste my time countering the plans of my foes, brother. I never care what the enemy intends to do, for they will never be allowed to do it. Stir within their hearts the gift of truest terror, and all their plans are ruined in the desperate struggle merely to survive." - The Primarch Konrad Curze, explaining his beliefs to his brother Sanguinius

I think that, this vision of strategy, is applied by most of the current Blood Angels. =)

Indeed, hence the obvious problems.

I see this and I raise you Eldar vehicles <_< My Meltacide is now known as "Squad Whiff" as what little actually hits is then negated by their shields (Serpent/Power)

Evoke the Spirit of Sanguinius and punish said General for his caution - decimate his other units with the roar of jump pack and chainsword.

Evoke the Spirit of Sanguinius and punish said General for his caution - decimate his other units with the roar of jump pack and chainsword.

What other units? They're all inside serpents or wraithknights ;)

In the most recent codex, each command squad veteran is only allowed to take one special weapon and you only have three veterans in the squad. You must take the Sanguinary Novitiate and Blood Champion. They are not optional upgrades.

Yeah I just checked both the BA codex and the SM codex. The latter you can have 5 vets, no restrictions on special weapons, and in the former you are 100% correct. See, that just doesn't make sense to me. GW REALLY needs to put out an updated Errata for the older codices such as BA, SW, etc. Just not fair IMO.

Yeah I just checked both the BA codex and the SM codex. The latter you can have 5 vets, no restrictions on special weapons, and in the former you are 100% correct. See, that just doesn't make sense to me. GW REALLY needs to put out an updated Errata for the older codices such as BA, SW, etc. Just not fair IMO.

Be assure Brother, that i work on the Errata problems, and minutes earlier, i send them the Errata, with the clear mention in the mail that "Of course, I do not claim any copyright on this Errata that i send to you". With this line, i hope that they can use it for releasing a BA Errata, if they do not already have one of their own.

• 2 weeks later...

But Skyhammer is only for C:SM and chapters listed within or has this changed? e.g can BA now play a skyhammer  formation?

It's only for Codex:SM, indeed. People just ally them in and use 'Red Space Marines' as a form of count-as Blood Angels. They'll still use the Codex:SM rules, of course.

But Skyhammer is only for C:SM and chapters listed within or has this changed? e.g can BA now play a skyhammer formation?

It's only for Codex:SM, indeed. People just ally them in and use 'Red Space Marines' as a form of count-as Blood Angels. They'll still use the Codex:SM rules, of course.

Yup, as it's a formation you can just ally it in on its own and choose the chapter tactics you want. Ultras is generally the best though with rerolls to the dev shooting when you drop.

There are cases for Imperial Fists (if you're using heavy bolters), white scars (hit and run is versatile and can keep the assault squads moving and stop Devs being bogged down if they survive an assault) or maybe Templars (hope an assault marine dies to overwatch and become death company lite).

Archived