Devastators in Drop Pods

SM1981

Even Iron Hands are worth considering. 6+ FNP is always going to be useful.

Actually I think it's the most useful of the lot.  Volley fire from 4 Grav Cannons will much likely not need the Ultra tactics and I feel the Assault Squads are best used as MSU to screen and cover the Devastator Squad from nearby enemies and keep them  firing rather than actually kill much if anything at all.

Perhaps, but you will lose the ability to charge.

That appears to be the subject of some debate. The special rule permitting assault from Deep Strike applies to the Assault Squad and does not specify only models from the Formation. According to the rulebook, ICs who join a squad are considered a part of that squad so an IC joining the Assault squad would gain the ability to assault after DS rather than denying it to the squad.

Personally I think this is due to sloppy writing of the Formation special rules but RAW, a case can be made for it (regardless of whether it is RAI).

There is no debate on what the RAW is as you pointed out it is pretty cut and dried, the only debate is whether the writers also intended the rules to work that way. It is also unclear if and how units from different detachments can interact with each other in reserves. The books are also silent on what happens if a unit from a formation enables the purchase of other units (TDAWG from Void Claws/Arjac's Shieldbrothers->Lone Wolf)

I'd been thinking about IF sentinels of terra as the allies for the skyhammer; all HB devs with rerolls to proc said skyhammer effects. ASM just tie crap up till mortalis arrives to turn everything into a fine red paste. Do well in tourneys methinks.

P.S The fact that GW haven't clarified that rule r.e IC's and formations yet irks me more than not having an errata on our codex. It's game wide neglect, not just faction specific.

As far as I can tell I don't think you can take the Sentinels rules with the sky hammer.

I could be wrong but it says a Sentinels of Terra detachment is chosen using the army list presented in Codex: Space Marines.

Since its a formation, and not a detachment, RAW can't be used. Email GW though, as they've said before both of the supplements are supposed to work with some tweaking I think.

Archived