Is Steel legion a viable list

Guardsman1275

also there is an ASL apocolypse formation called the stompa hunters which is 3 squadrons of lascannon sentinels that can fire twice as many shots every other turn. I wish you could take it as a normal formation and OHK squads of termies.

Sentinels are hit-or-miss as far as performance goes but I still take a unit of them in every game. They are quite fluffy (armored at least) for SL. Armored with lascannon was refereed to as "Armageddon pattern" in one of the old books (4th?).

3rd edition.

The steel legion army list in the third war for Armageddon codex.

Doctrines allowed that in 4th and 5th maybe they will come back. One can only hope. I miss those days.

That would be great. Those were fun and equivalent to sm chapter tactics... But I think they did that in the last third edition ig codex.

Another Russ hull would match well with your existing ones, but on the flip side the Manticore could easily hide behind something and rain death on your foe. As you've some close ranging units perhaps better to avoid the pie plates o' doom dropping from the sky unless you compartmentalise the battlefield in roles?

They're too elite but lacking in the toughness department (though shining in firepower.) This means that they cannot take as well as they dish. Against armies like IG, this means they're playing our game and we take it better than they can while not caring about things like grav as much. 

that is definatly true, however vs armies like tau and necrons I feel like the extra firepower is worth the numbers decrease.  Also, chimeras and tanks give you a lot of mobility and the ability to hit your opponent with 3 pie plates a turn is not anything to mess around with. The only problem is that the AM are the only faction who have trouble dealing with AV14 these days, with the LR vanquisher or meltaspam being their only good options, with the vanquisher being preferable but more situational, at least in my opinion.

Archived