New to 30k Iron Warriors 2000 points using new box

DiscipleOfTheWord

Hi everyone, after long deliberation I have decided to start a horus heresey army, but I have a very limited budget, so I cant afford any extras worth over about £100. Anyway, here is my 2000 point list, created by battlescribe as I dont yet own the 30k rulebooks.

HQ

Legion Centurion, master of signal, artificer armour, refractor field, plasma pistol, power maul

Legion Praetor, Cataphractii armour, warsmith, combi-melta, chainfist. Rite of War: Hammer of Olympia

Troops

Legion tactical squad, 10 marines,vexilla, nuncio-vox, artificer armour and melta bombs on the sergeant

Legion tactical squad, same loadout as before but without artificer armour

Legion tactical support squad, 5 marines, plasma guns, artificer armour, rhino with havoc launcher and extra armour

Elites:

Contemptor dreadnought, power fist w/ meltagun, multi-melta

Terminator squad, 5 terminators, cataphractii armour, heavy flamer, 5 chainfists

Heavy Support

Iron Havoc squad, 5 marines, autocannons, artificer armour, augury scanner

Lord of War

Perturabo, without forgebreaker

Please comment to help me improve. One thing im not sure about is the melta weapons on the contemptor, as I hear ceramite plating is common in 30k. Thoughts?

Pretty sure that Hammer of Olympia requires 3 compulsory troops choices (tacs, assaults or breachers), not just 3 troops choices. Also, it's questionable whether this rite of war is worth it with your list.

If possible, I'd recommend finding some missiles and converting your cataphractii into siege tyrants. You can find some of the points by dropping the unecessary gear from your master of signals - power weapon, plasma. I understand that the model comes with these options stock, but your MoS shouldn't be shooting, because then he's not buffing his squad. Likewise, he should be avoiding melee if at all possible. Havocs with autocannons are ok, though personally I'd go for missiles. Up to you.

I haven't heard many good things about the warsmith upgrade, but it's fluffy, so keep it if you like. Ceramite plating is reasonably common in 30k, but a melta is still str 8 ap1, so it'll do a number on most characters, as well as light vehicles, other contemptors. It's not considered the most competitive weapon in 30k, but it's far from useless.

Hope this helps a bit.

Dallo

Brother Dallo makes some good points.

And the Master of Signal is not always worth it. Wounds inflicted per point is often better without him.

For something different you could use the Praetor as Erasmus Golg. He'll make the Terminators Troops, plus take a Chaplain leading 20 'true grit' Tacticals. Then use the last 10 guys as Iron Havocs (I'd take missile launchers on them too, given the discount and free flakk). Perturabo can join the Terminator squad and teleport them all in. Golg's "Brutal Charge" will apply to him too, so he has a Strength 7 HoW! :)

Brother Dallo makes some good points.

And the Master of Signal is not always worth it. Wounds inflicted per point is often better without him.

For something different you could use the Praetor as Erasmus Golg. He'll make the Terminators Troops, plus take a Chaplain leading 20 'true grit' Tacticals. Then use the last 10 guys as Iron Havocs (I'd take missile launchers on them too, given the discount and free flakk). Perturabo can join the Terminator squad and teleport them all in. Golg's "Brutal Charge" will apply to him too, so he has a Strength 7 HoW! smile.png

Just remember that Golg needs to be the Warlord to open Terminators as troops, so if you take Perturabo you lose that option and would need to take Pride of the Legion (Which is better due to Tyrant Siege spam).

OK I drafted a new list using Pride of the legion and a few other changes:

HQ

Centurion, master of signal, refractor field, artificer armour

Praetor, cataphractii armour, chainfist

Troops

2x 10 man veteran tactical with sniper

5 siege tyrants with chainfist

Elites

Contemptor with extra armour, multi melta, meltagun

Heavy Support

10 Iron Havocs with missile launchers

Lord of War