Decapitation Strike, 'For Whom the Bell Tolls'

Monkeychunks

Hi all,

I'm having a bit of trouble with the Raven Guard Decapitation Strike, specifically the part dealing with Preferred Enemy. Quoted below are direct lines from the 7th Edition rulebook and Legiones Astartes.

Preferred Enemy

This rule is often presented as Preferred Enemy (X) where X identifies a specific type of foe. If the special rule does not specify a type of foe, then everyone is a Preferred Enemy of the unit. A unit that contains at least one model with this special rule re-rolls failed To Hit and To Wound rolls of 1 if attacking its Preferred Enemy. This applies both to shooting and close combat attacks.

For Whom the Bell Tolls

All Legiones Astartes (Raven Guard) units in a force using this Rite of War gains the Preferred Enemy (Independent Characters) special rule.

My question is whether I can benefit from Preferred Enemy when shooting at a mixed unit, where an Independent Character is being shielded by other infantry. For the sake of argument let's consider a 20-man Tactical blob with embedded Chaplain.

If I shoot at the unit, does this constitute 'attacking its Preferred Enemy' and hence provide rerolls, even if these shots are being resolved against Tacticals standing in the way?

Or does it only count when the Chaplain is on his own and not joined to any units at all?

Many thanks for the help, and hopefully a consistent answer from the community.

Personally I only think this works when attacking an Independent Character. So either in a challenge or shooting at them on there own.

A Tau character had the same thing and I think FW clarified that he only took effect when attacking a IC so I would use that ruling. Hey I maybe wrong here.

sad.png I just realized (not a great discovery) that PF is wasted even with precision strikes - with PS you can allocate a wound on "6" to hit only. PF allows you to reroll "1" which you cannot reroll cause you're not targeting "for whom..." target (assuming Independet is in a unit). Totally useless in shooting - only challenges benefit.

If I may offtop a little - are Dark Furies good? I'm yet to play a battle as a RG and on paper they look really nice (accompanied by character with attached Void Shield). Also is it worth to upgrade some/most/all of them to Raven's Talons?

If I shoot at the unit, does this constitute 'attacking its Preferred Enemy' and hence provide rerolls, even if these shots are being resolved against Tacticals standing in the way?

Kind of answering your own question there. You are shooting at the unit, not the independent character.

Have a look at the wording. Rerolling missed rolls to hit and rolls of 1 to wound.

Miss on any roll, reroll.

Roll a 1 to wound. Reroll.

Preferred Enemy doesn't say that. It says "...re-rolls failed To Hit and To Wound rolls of 1 if attacking it's Preferred Enemy." The sentence structure is such that To Hit and To Wound and grouped together. Suggesting that you re-roll ALL To Hit rolls is never going to fly.

I believe 6th Edition had a less concrete sentence, but not any more.

Ah! Yes, I see it now. Sorry mate! :)

That is VERY interesting... Quite a buff for the rule, if that's how it's meant to be played (and they haven't made a grammatical error).

Posted · Hidden by Flint13, December 6, 2015 - No reason given
Hidden by Flint13, December 6, 2015 - No reason given
Grammatically it goes either way, but one reading relies on the phrase 'failed roll of 1' which doesn't make any sense. Rerolling all failed to hit rolls seems like a cleaner reading to me.
  • 3 weeks later...

That's just cartoonishly picky semantics, and technically incorrect grammar (I know grammar's not the right word, but I can't spell what I mean). If it were the two separate it would be "failed to hit rolls, and to wound rolls of 1".

So missing words is more accurate than a missing comma?

You can all play it how you want, I guess. You're not going to get people to agree on it if they disagree. That said, I'm going to continue to play it where I reroll my misses and my to wound rolls of 1. 

It's the same thing as that facebook 3-3*6+2 can equal either -13 or -17, depending on where you apply things and in the order you read them. Both can be technically correct.

Archived