BaC Starter Set - Alpha Legion

Lord Punterer

Hey folks, 

I have lurked on the forum for quite a while now and even posted some stuff. It would have been a while ago though :)

Betrayal at Calth arrived on my doorstep 5 minutes ago and I was wondering what to do with the set. I already have 5 cataphractiis, who are outfitted with the special weapons set, and I was wondering if you had any ideas on how to outfit the army.

I am not a competitive player (although it is nice to win occasionally) and prefer to go rule of cool + fluff.

Currently I have a list but it banks on getting a few extra models down the line (poor student) so I'm looking to use what I've got.

I have thrown around the idea of a 20 man tac sqaud, a 10 man vet sqaud and a 10 man termie squad, and also 3 x 10 man vets. At this stage I just don't know anything, bar that those heavy bolters look sick as heck ;)

If you're taking veteran squads, kit them at least out with full heavy bolters and give them sniper. The damage potential there is crazy.

2 10 man veteran squads and a 10 man terminator squad are a pretty standard base for a Pride of the Legion List, you'd need to look at transport for them though which will really add up for the terms. 

Seekers/Headhunters are a solid choice as they're scoring, at this moment in time seekers are better because they can take combi weapons but should the Headhunters get access to them they'll be a brutal unit.

Contemptors/Rapiers/Sicarans/Laser Vindicators are all excellent choices to add further meat to your army.

If you're looking at rule of cool though, take whatever tickles your fancy!

If you're taking veteran squads, kit them at least out with full heavy bolters and give them sniper. The damage potential there is crazy.

I was thinking about getting the most out of the box. Two of the three HBs for the headhunters, and the other special/heavy weapons for the veteran squads. Maybe one with two meltas and one with two MLs. Add special rules to taste.

BS5 Heavy bolters with banestrike ammo probably do more damage than BS4 heavy bolters.

What do you mean by Seekers and Headhunters are scoring? Aren't all units scoring?

I was thinking about getting the most out of the box. Two of the three HBs for the headhunters, and the other special/heavy weapons for the veteran squads. Maybe one with two meltas and one with two MLs. Add special rules to taste.

BS5 Heavy bolters with banestrike ammo probably do more damage than BS4 heavy bolters.

BS4 Heavy Bolters with Sniper (always wound on a 4+, 6s are  Ap2) vs Banestrike 6s are Ap3.

What do you mean by Seekers and Headhunters are scoring? Aren't all units scoring?

In 30k, only Troops are scoring. Certain units have Implacable Advance (like Seekers, Terminators and Headhunters), which makes a unit scoring even if it's not a Troops choice.

BS4 Heavy Bolters with Sniper (always wound on a 4+, 6s are  Ap2) vs Banestrike 6s are Ap3.

Ah, I forgot about sniper. Yeah that's better. Free precision shots aren't bad either.

@Caillum: As soon as I posted that question I remembered.

• 2 weeks later...

In 30k, only Troops are scoring. Certain units have Implacable Advance (like Seekers, Terminators and Headhunters), which makes a unit scoring even if it's not a Troops choice.

That was 6th ed. In 7th ed, everything is scoring, but troops get ObSec.

Implacable Advance has been fixed to give Ob Sec, as per the FW 7th ed errata.

Basically, Alpha Legion get infiltrating Ob Sec veteran squads.

Xenith, if you're playing 30k, you disregard the entire "Preparing For Battle" section of the 40k Rulebook and replace it with "Battles in the Age of Darkness" from Book Five: Tempest and the Mechanicum Red Book.

Regarding the FAQ - Implacable Advance hasn't been "fixed"; it's been updated to allow people to play Space Marine Legions in 40k, for those who haven't got a 30k community to play with.

Xenith, if you're playing 30k, you disregard the entire "Preparing For Battle" section of the 40k Rulebook and replace it with "Battles in the Age of Darkness" from Book Five: Tempest and the Mechanicum Red Book.

Regarding the FAQ - Implacable Advance hasn't been "fixed"; it's been updated to allow people to play Space Marine Legions in 40k, for those who haven't got a 30k community to play with.

Ah, ok, I didnt realise that part in the FAQ was 40k only, thanks!

You get 3 full combi-weapons, but if you don't mind getting a little conversion happy, you can probably have an easy time of converting some of the Terminator combi-bolters or Space Marine bolters into combi-weapons. Unfortunately you can at most produce 3 more combi-plasmas (which are the best one for Seekers to take).

2 vets and 1 seeker squad is an economical way to squeeze the most power out of the choices available in the BoC box. Combi-weapons are available in a pack, and are not too expensive.

Although I honestly would wait for the HeadHunters models to appear and use them as Seekers instead. Since we're talking specifically Alpha Legion, you probably want to be able to field 30 tactical marines if you ever decide to do coils.

Until Headhunters get the option of combi-weapons, don't let the BS5 and banestrike rounds fool you, this is a close combat unit.

Archived