Kortmer's Oldhammer Rescue Projects

K0rtmer

Your technique on the OSL is great. However, the "source" (in this case the plasma cooling coils) needs to be brighter compared to the surrounding "light". Simply put, highlight the coils a bit (possibly working up to white depending on how bright you want the coils to appear) whilst leaving the surrounding glow untouched.

That said, it's a fantastic mini. Great work!

Hmm, while I cannot fault your technique, the reddish colour seems like a bit of a dubious choice to me: It's so close to the base and the model's gernal rusty look that it doesn't even read as glowing plasma coils (especially with the soft diffusing of the light you have gone for), but rather looks like yet more rust. I think the effect would have worked much better with a contrasting colour, i.e. blue or bright green.

@Squigsquasher: I guess you're right there. I'll pull out the Ceramite White and work up to a higher contrast on the coils at the next opportunity.

@Slaanbull: Yeah, that's basically it. It's a dark sea green, some Vallejo Air tone actually. I guess you could argue it's too dark for a Death Guard-like green, but I think it works well with the off-white that dominates the armor. 

@KrautScientist: Ok, point taken. Blue or green would've been a better choice, at least one that contrasts better with the rust-red base. I suppose I was thinking that orange contrasts best with the white and green tones of the armor, but clearly didn't think it through. I do think though that the picture doesn't show the colors too truthfully. The glow doesn't look too rusty to me IRL. I'll try to take a better picture – after I took Squigsquasher's advice.

I'll update this as soon as I've made some more progress. I'm currently tied up with my ETL commitment, but I'm already looking forward to coming back to these. A lot.

Edited by Brother Kortmer

• 3 weeks later...

I'm glad to be able to share a few quick shots of some progress tonight. I didn't manage to take pictures in daylight and couldn't get rid of the more or less subtle yellow hue in Photoshop. But you should get an idea of where I'm at anyway.

gallery_80057_10843_508721.jpg

gallery_80057_10843_187689.jpg

gallery_80057_10843_369249.jpg

I'm intending to take KrautScientist's advice and went for a cold blue for some of their eyes. I haven't yet gotten around to painting the contrast of the overheating plasma coils stronger. But I'll do it when I get around to painting the backpacks and arms, hopefully soon.

Here's how I painted the contrast of the overheating plasma coils a bit stronger. I like it better actually. I also like to think it's a bit better to see that that red-orange glow is visibly different from the color I used for the base. (Although, on a second look, the picture still doesn't quite do it justice.)

gallery_80057_10843_446397.jpg

gallery_80057_10843_292858.jpg

Please let me know what you think.

• 3 weeks later...

Done! The first seven are done. (And I can actually run them as a 200 points Kill Team of Chosen. Not competitive, but WYSIWYG and fitting the models, I think.)

gallery_80057_10843_229525.jpg

gallery_80057_10843_232119.jpg

gallery_80057_10843_125433.jpg

gallery_80057_10843_522089.jpg

gallery_80057_10843_470430.jpg

gallery_80057_10843_198906.jpg

gallery_80057_10843_277226.jpg

gallery_80057_10843_405613.jpg

gallery_80057_10843_369797.jpg

I'll take a break from these for a while now. Obviously I've got approximately another 14 or so waiting, all stripped and disassembled. I also got my hands on a few of the old 1990 monopose plastic models, some in rather poor state of repair. At the moment I'm planning to do them all up similarly to the first lot. But we'll see.

As always, any feedback and -forward is most welcome.

• 3 weeks later...

Wow, these are very lovely. You'd just want to cuddle up close to them and never let go :wub.: I really like your rendition of the colour scheme and the way you've picked out some of the details is amazing (I really like the plasma gunners eyes in particular)

Niiiice. That heavy bolter guy's one of my favourites from the period. I also like the lighter, whiter colour scheme: the dingy browns and greens popular in the Day tended to become a bit of a blur, whereas these guys could actually be distinguished from foliage on the tabletop.

The Nurgle Marines are looking really cool Brother Kortmer. I've still got the Power Seord Champion kicking about somewhere & one of the metal Nurgle Marines (think there finecast version along side a Thasound Son, World Eater & Emperor Children) I'll need to get together & painted along side the 2nd ed Plastic Nurgle Maines.

Out of intrest, how do you run your Kill team list, eg: the three specil memeber of the team & skills? Also any plans on adding any more models? Are you taken part in Call of Chaos (see the Forge area for Semper post)?

Done! The first seven are done. (And I can actually run them as a 200 points Kill Team of Chosen. Not competitive, but WYSIWYG and fitting the models, I think.)

gallery_80057_10843_229525.jpg

gallery_80057_10843_232119.jpg

gallery_80057_10843_125433.jpg

gallery_80057_10843_522089.jpg

gallery_80057_10843_470430.jpg

gallery_80057_10843_198906.jpg

gallery_80057_10843_277226.jpg

gallery_80057_10843_405613.jpg

gallery_80057_10843_369797.jpg

I'll take a break from these for a while now. Obviously I've got approximately another 14 or so waiting, all stripped and disassembled. I also got my hands on a few of the old 1990 monopose plastic models, some in rather poor state of repair. At the moment I'm planning to do them all up similarly to the first lot. But we'll see.

As always, any feedback and -forward is most welcome.

Thanks for your kind words, everyone. 

@KrautScientist: Glad I could finally sell it to you. I'm still thinking the picture isn't truthful to the actual colors. But it does show for once that there's something of a difference between the shades of orange. 

@Insane Psychopath: I'm running the above as: 7 CSM Chosen, Mark of Nurgle, powerfist (FnP), plasma gun (Preferred Enemy), heavy bolter (Tank Hunter). Mixed results, but generally fun in my non- or semi-competitive meta. I usually do much better when I buy a spawn in place of two Chosen, but I couldn't yet get my hands on a spawn or, alternatively, Beast of Nurgle – from that generation of models.

Having said that, I did manage to source a copy of the very first WHFB spawn model ever released. Has lots of glue on it, but looks complete and intact. I also managed to find another handful of RT-era Plague Marines. I'll have some more than once, which is alright, but between all of them I should be able to put together a full Kill Team. I think the last one missing is being posted to my place as I'm typing this. 

It'll be a while until I get around to do them. Especially because I really want to do them justice with an appropriate paint job. I think I'll have to do a fair bit of research into the RT era. But it'll be awesome. I'll keep you posted in this location.

Here are the others I managed to get hold of in the meantime. (I won't disclose how much I paid for the unpainted one in the middle. A real collector's piece – including a collector's price tag.)

gallery_80057_10843_209563.jpg

Between these and the others I should have enough to put together a functioning Kill Team: a power fist, a flamer, a heavy weapon. All I need really. I could swap the multimelta for a missile launcher or lascannon that I got with these generic and Slaaneshi ones.

gallery_80057_10843_275479.jpg

Note that they're basically all coming without the correct RT-era plastic backpacks. I have like two, plus one in metal, plus two from the original Space Crusade game that KrautScientist sent me. Again, in public: thank you so much, KrautScientist! I don't have high hopes that I can source an appropriate number of original components for an acceptable price and have hence started experimenting with press moulds from Blue Stuff. Very promising first results. I'm hoping I can upskill myself and make backpacks from Milliput at some point.

Lastly, look what I also found:

gallery_80057_10843_112001.jpg

I also got a handful more of them, but in an absolutely terrible state of repair. I might have enough to do up four of them.

I'll keep you posted. Thanks for looking.

• 2 months later...

Happy new year everyone!

My Rogue Trader and second-edition Death Guard project hasn't seen much progress lately. Instead I managed to add more stuff to its backlog. (You know, it's somehow easier and quicker to buy new stuff than to build and paint the stuff that's already there. You'll know what I mean.)

First of all, I've got a total of seven plastic snap-fit Plague Marines from 1995. I got six new on sprue; the seventh is a combination of components of a set that I got in terrible condition, damaged, covered in thick enamel paint and plastic glue, but for free. I now have seven complete, intact, stripped and cleaned, based, and awaiting primer.

gallery_80057_10843_488638.jpg

With the very generous help of KrautScientist I seem to have enough original arms and shoulder pads to complete a second squad of at least seven of the 1990s metal models, basically the same that I put together earlier last year and already shared above. I've got about four or five based and ready to prime too. At the same time I've had some success with sourcing more RT-era plastic backpacks. I should have enough for a first batch of RT-era marines, but will be assigning them a lower priority (while I keep digging more original backpacks).

A further addition is an old dreadnought – also joining the party in a sad state, with thick base coats and green stuff in random places, but looking much better after about 90 minutes in Simple Green concentrate and with about 60 W of 40,000 Hz blasting at it.

gallery_80057_10843_360455.jpg

Lastly, I got my hands on some daemonic reinforcements off ebay: 14 Plague Bearers, and three Plague Bearers riding Beasts of Nurgle. (I never knew that was actually a thing.) All will be stripped, cleaned, and given some very generous TLC.

gallery_80057_10843_163067.jpg

gallery_80057_10843_279821.jpg

I'll keep you updated.

I was really glad to be able to help out -- plus I still cannot shake the feeling that I actually got the better end of the deal ;) You should have mentioned you were looking for old skool backpacks (the plastic ones from the mid-90s, at least) as well, though, as I might have a few of those knocking about.

Regarding your latest additions: I am pretty sure those beast-riding Plaguebearers are conversions, as they seem to combine an early 90s beast with mid-to-late 90s Plaguebearers. Doesn't make them any less retro, though ;)

• 7 months later...

————————————————————————

"We're just about to shoot above their horizon. Going dark in forty-five." Brother-Phlegmor Asclepius' voice appeared heavily distorted over the tactical vox.

"Understood, forty-five." Demeter's itchy, dry eyes wandered over the crammed, void-cold troops compartment. His men, veteran legionaries chosen from squads Atrophy and Bacter, immortal half-gods that had borne the Grandfather's blessings for more than ten-thousand standard years of total, all-out war, were seated in two groups of three, their powered armor interlocked with the stormbird's systems, braced for atmospheric entry. Faint blue light illuminated the scene.

Demeter counted six. Seven including himself.

Seven, not including the thing. Even over the raging, deafening noise of the atmosphere tearing at the bird's hull with ever increasing ferocity, Demeter could hear the thing howl and scream in the cargo bay.

"Inevitable, this is vector command. Descend initiated, all clear. We'll call you at Conventus." Demeter cleared his throat not without difficulties. His voice was low and hoarse. "Inevitable, this is our last transmission. Going dark in two."

The blue lights died down to an almost imperceptible intensity. Violent spasms rocked the bird as it ploughed through the thickening atmosphere at hypersonic speed.

The thing was screaming in the darkness.

It had began.

————————————————————————

I can't believe it's been over half a year that I updated in here. Please accept my apologies. In the meantime my laptop died, my phone (and only camera) died, and only recently did I manage to replace both.

I also managed to chip away at my Oldhammer rescue projects.

I made an opportunity to pull out the initially completed squad of seven for final, most minor touch-ups. They saw action in our local narrative campaign, slowly escalating from the 250-points HOR Kill Team level. (The blurb above is the opening sequence for my Death Guard.) Brother-Phlegmor Aerion butchered a total of seven loyalist marines in two games. To drive the narrative, and honor this very notable achievement, I sourced an original second-edition CSM weapon sprue and issued him a chainaxe. He's on the far right in the latest group shot.

The "thing" is a Chaos spawn - a legit pre-1990 WHFB model I bought off a guy for two dollars. Complete, but covered in thick layers of glue. It's found a good forever home now.

gallery_80057_10843_197205.jpg

gallery_80057_10843_1302771.jpg

gallery_80057_10843_54363.jpg

From the remaining parts I managed to complete two more squads of five. Eventually I ran out of bolters, so one squad sports mainly pistols. A true Mk. I plasma pistol from the weapon sprue in there. The army leader, which I believe is from the old metal set of four legion traitors, has an inverted color scheme referencing Dusk Raider themes such as the red right hand and arm ... although it doesn't show too well on the picture.

gallery_80057_10843_248800.jpg

gallery_80057_10843_1080990.jpg

gallery_80057_10843_93686.jpg

Lastly, I think the dreadnought/helbrute has seen some significant improvement over its sad, sad state of repair. I built it in a rush and painted it in a single go, on a school holiday, when I got smashed by another guy's dreadnought during the second phase of our campaign. We used second-edition rules for the LOLs. Autocannons used to be absolutely brutal, and none of my infantry bring anything close to such firepower. Hence I needed reinforcements badly. I'm reasonably happy with it, considering I painted it in one day.

gallery_80057_10843_981547.jpg

gallery_80057_10843_488540.jpg

I enjoy the idea that I bought it like this:

gallery_80057_10843_360455.jpg

There's more coming.

Thanks for visiting. As always, comments and criticism are welcome and greatly appreciated. Edited by Brother Kortmer

• 2 weeks later...

Daemons finally done. I repainted the GUO to make it fit better with the Plaguebearers. (Had a rushed paint job anyway.)

gallery_80057_10843_867538.jpg

gallery_80057_10843_395610.jpg

gallery_80057_10843_1162995.jpg

gallery_80057_10843_768176.jpg

gallery_80057_10843_1086442.jpg

gallery_80057_10843_1246254.jpg

Not sure, but I think I'm having issues with focusing my cellphone camera appropriately. I seem to be able to get a crisp, sharp focus in one plane, but really only in one. I guess I offer my apologies for the somewhat blurry pictures. Might get around to work out what's happening, and (literally) give it another shot.

Thanks for looking.