Exiled Angels: XV Legion Test

Athrawes

So this log will showcase several proof of concept miniatures, while I work through the planning for an upcoming joint project log.

The Thousand Son have been one of my two favorite Legions for a long time (the other being Dark Angels). Ever since seeing their Images in The Horus Heresy Card game, I knew I wanted to make a pre heresy army themed around them.

Part of the Reason I created the II Legion Lightning Bearers was to give myself a creative, pre heresy project to tide me over until Thousand Sons arrive. So I decided to finally bite the bullet and create a small force using BaC as the basis.

The goal of these two models were to make simple conversions to the base Betrayal at Calth miniatures, that match the Forgeworld upgrade sets (which were previewed years ago).

This are color scheme and conversion prototypes I knocked together, spending about a 15 minutes per model on converting and 2 and an half hours for painting.

Let me know what you think of them as Thousand Sons proof of concepts:

http://i1088.photobucket.com/albums/i327/nickfayette1/07c5bcaf-9e60-4c6f-b22f-abc1f708d6c2.jpg

http://i1088.photobucket.com/albums/i327/nickfayette1/fb91b6b5-610f-4345-a271-bc71d31799a4.jpg

http://i1088.photobucket.com/albums/i327/nickfayette1/55d968ff-6ed9-48bb-82c0-9e2fdf6b81db.jpg

They are reeeeeaaallly good. I am a big fan of 1000 Sins myself and maybe I will start one too...someday...after the light..

But alas, looks really good, especially the clean bright white on the trims. What was your recipe?

Looking good so far. Just like on the cover of A Thousand Sons. :)

As I like the sons of Magnus by myself, I'm excited to see more.

Will we see some interactions between the XVth and the Lightning Bearers?

Or is it just a new project? smile.png

They are reeeeeaaallly good. I am a big fan of 1000 Sins myself and maybe I will start one too...someday...after the light..

But alas, looks really good, especially the clean bright white on the trims. What was your recipe?

Thanks Mkhal. The White is just 2 thinned coats of Administratum grey over a Tamiya Grey Fine primer. With 5 coats of very, very tinned white. I wasn't sure about going for pure white on the trim, but I think it makes a nicer contrast than grey with white highlight.

Looking good so far. Just like on the cover of A Thousand Sons. smile.png

As I like the sons of Magnus by myself, I'm excited to see more.

Will we see some interactions between the XVth and the Lightning Bearers?

Or is it just a new project? smile.png

Thanks friend, I don't think we'll see any cross over as this small force of sons (If they expanded), will be themed around the Razing of Prospero. For now, this is just going to be few test models, until my new project gets underway.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

My next Legionary, a Squad Sergeant.

http://i1088.photobucket.com/albums/i327/nickfayette1/23f45bae-8d6f-4946-8cda-93518e2a2e16.jpg

http://i1088.photobucket.com/albums/i327/nickfayette1/64ee5078-48ce-40ab-8ed9-1c9e8cbddebb.jpg

Very nice start. Looking forwards to seeing what you come up with.

Thanks, It's exciting to start something new and to change up painting grey for a while.

Looking good, the white trim especially.

I'm glad you like the white, I think it helps as a strong second color to set the Sons apart from the other red Legions.

Love what you have done with the ultra head keep it up!!

Thanks friend, I used the Ultra heads after hearing Depthcharge talk about their potential for Sons. Now that the upgrade kit is out, I have more fun bits to work with, but I still think some praetor pattern armor will be used to keep the variety up.

Oooooh man I am super excited about this. Followed the Lightning Bearers since the beginning. The XV Legion are definitely a favorite of mine and I cannot wait to see you bring your own brand of awesomeness to it!

Thanks, i don't imagine I'll ever stop with the Lightning Bearers, but the Thousand sons have been my favorite cannon legion for a long time, I hope that my work on these guys can gain as much support as the II Legion.

Looks boss so far. The eagle on the helm seems like an odd choice stylistically, but I'll hold off on judgement until after he's painted.

Now that the FW official scheme is out, are you thinking about swapping to a metallic or keeping your red?

And how excited are you at seeing the official Thousand Sons upgrades?

The change in paint scheme is a good question. I really like the red I have achieved and think it fits well with the legions existing artwork. While, I like the look of metallic red (and I want my miniatures to match the "official" scheme), I'm unsure which looks better, Which I could paint to a higher standard, ect. To me, both look good.

What do you guys think, keep my red, or try to match the metallic red of FW?

And I am very excited by the TS upgrades, I ordered 4 full sets this morning and received my order dispatched email 2 hours later, now that is fast FW.

Archived