The Dark Reaving - The Sons of Horus

Daemon2027

23485427572_9342127f9a_z_d.jpg

It does not matter how the galaxy burns, only that it does - The Warmaster

Hey guys, welcome to my latest attempt to paint an army, with this attempt being the Warmasters finest, the Sons of Horus. I plan to approach them from two angles. The first is a small force based around the Reavers, painted in black and rocking the spikey kind of Chaosy look. To keep my interest I will also be (very slowly) building up my Betrayal at Calth models who will represent a more standard force, resplendent in Sea Green. I'll also plan to build a nice little force of Justarian terminators to chaperone Horus, and I'd love to convert my own Abaddon, but that's a future thing. As per usual expect conversions and rescaling of models, and the odd background piece

Anyway, I'll leave you with a WIP, the Delegatus who will lead the Reavers.

23509419621_f142df324c_z_d.jpg

Not much work done to him past the rescaling and an arm swap, i really like this model as it is. I'm in the process of building him a command squad (the banner is to nice not to use) and the master of signals required to unlock the Dark Reaving rite of war.
Thanks for looking

Excellent first SoH. Totally in your style, don't even need to look at the screen name.

Nice choice with Sons of Horus, too. They're definitely getting a lot of love from some of the top modellers/painters on the board!

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks guys.

Slow work so far due to real life, but the first member of the commad squad is built, the standard bearer. Again I left the model mostly as is apart from scaling up and an arm swap. I wanted to give the impression that he wasn't just holding the banner but also ready to defend it, so it's held behind with the axe held in front. He's also got a combi melta, the plan is for the whole command squad to have power weapons and combi bolters.

23693911151_a8d491c1d0_z_d.jpg

I've been trying to think of some background to. I like the idea that the XVI legion parallel's that of the Roman Legions, were the classical Roman Legions were changed with the influx of 'barbarian' troops brought in to supplement the fighting force in the second and third century. I see the Luna Wolves as being like the Roman Legions, although in the Terran style rather the the Ultramarines more obvious Roman trappings, and the influx of the Cthonic gang members changing the culture of the Legion, with the Reavers being one of the more obvious results of this. So I want to keep a sort of mix between Roman and tribal themes running through, perhaps with the background reflecting this tribal/gang element and a mix of Roman and more 'barbaric' trappings on the models. That's the plan anyway.

Managed to finish the second member of the command squad. I wanted to see how easy it would be to GS a top knot as it will save money, it was easier then I thought. Not perfect, but a good start. As I'm going to using this same kit a lot I want to try and get as much variation as I can. I also need to start exploring how to add certain details to the plastic Mark IV as well so I don't rely on a 5 man kit to build 30 plus models! For the command squad I'm using the alternate Eye of Horus, which I'll probally ise on squad leaders to, and use the regular shoulder pads for the majority of the Reavers.

23168804443_e27cbba0f9_z_d.jpg

Feedback welcome.

Couldn't agree more with the direction you want to take these guys, with the Roman Barbarian idea in mind. It'll look great and these guys are legit so far. I'm really surprised the upscaling hasn't magnified the scrawny nature of the resin Mk4 legs. I'd be keen to see some more angles of the models when you've got the time.

Thanks for your comments guys.

Tyrannicide, I was aware that the models might end up a bit scrawny so ive tried to beef up the legs where I can. I find that in many cases the legs go slim near the knee joints so this is where I focuses my extending and gs work. I'll grab some some pics when I get a chance.

I sat down and looked at the rules last night, thinking that the command squad would be better off with combi plasmas especially as they will be joined by the Master of Signals who can increase those shooting ability. Won't be to hard to swap out the current bolters.

Thanks guys.

Finnish Hammer, they are from Mastercrafted, http://mastercrafted.co.uk/shop/infantry-components/shoulder-pads/spiked-veteran-shoulderpads/

They are really nice, I will be getting some more. I did email FW asking if they would do similar bits and they said that they would like to but have no plans to do so just yet.

No more work on the command squad, or any more pics of them, but I will change that soon. I did build this fella though. Little story behind him, I brought the bike to make a one off White Scar, I was going to go to town on the Mongolian theme, but, like usual, I don't really look at pics of the Jetbike and everything I wanted to do wouldn't work. But I built it anyway. The idea is that he is swooping down ready to use his axe ready to slaughter his prey. I've done a little more work since this pic was taken, I just want to add some smaller details and some battle damage.

I never planned to have jetbikes in my Reavers force, but they do fit the theme. I'm worried that the black scheme might be a bit crap though. I was half tempted to paint him as a World Eater but I've gone off that as I would like to stick to the Sons of Horus. Maybe I should plaint it green instead?

23793672332_333e1052db_h.jpg

the idea that the XVI legion parallel's that of the Roman Legions, were the classical Roman Legions were changed with the influx of 'barbarian' troops brought in to supplement the fighting force in the second and third century. I see the Luna Wolves as being like the Roman Legions, although in the Terran style rather the the Ultramarines more obvious Roman trappings, and the influx of the Cthonic gang members changing the culture of the Legion, with the Reavers being one of the more obvious results of this.

That is exactly how I see SoH. Will be interesting to see how you manage to carry this vison across your force…  What colorscheme do you plan for your reavers?

Brother Kirus, I'm looking to do some painting over the next few days as I'm not at work, I dont want to make my usual mistake of building to many models and never feeling like painting them.

Disease, cool, hoping to keep up more steam then my Death Guard.

Iron Bars, that could work,I've added some more details to the Jetbike to give it a more Reaver look, need some tidying up before I can grab pics.

I wasn't really happy how my last 3 members of the command squad was coming together so I decided to go back to the drawing board with them. Mixing around a few bits I built the next guy. Like I said above, I fancy doing some painting, and 3 is the minimum number for a command squad so I plan to start painting what I've got built so far, and the Jetbike if I can be arsed to get ready for painting. I'll build the last two members at a later date. Ok pics.

23306681834_706d38bd31_z_d.jpg

While I was building the above I took a snap of the legs where I filled them out. I did this around knees as the FW Mark IV tends go a bit thin there. It's still a bit rough in this pic, I have gone back and smoothed it out. The torso was very early to when this pic was taken.

23908797576_ed9120553b_m_d.jpg

Archived