2016 Ravenwing Project

RayJ

It's been a long while since I've done much of any hobby related stuff. Played some games and kept up on Marines in general, but very little painting, modeling etc. This year I'm going all in on my Ravenwing collection. I'm gonna be expanding it with some more speeders and fliers, but I've already got an impressive backlog to work on. This first post will serve as an index for the WIP and finished images to keep track of the project. There's a lot of stuff coming, and I'm very excited to be painting again!

Here's a list of what's to come!

Sammael on Corvex

Interrogator Chaplain

Librarian 1

Librarian 2

Librarian 3

Librarian 4

Librarian 5

Techmarine

RW Command Squad

- Champion

- Standard Bearer

- Apothecary (WIP)

- Grenade Launcher

- BK 1

- BK 2

RW Black Knights 1

- Huntsmaster

- BK 1

- BK 2

RW Black Knights 3

- Huntsmaster

- BK 1

- BK 2

RW Black Knights 3

- Huntsmaster

- BK 1

- BK 2

RW Bikes 1

- Sergeant

- Biker 1

- Biker 2

RW Bikes 2

- Sergeant

- Biker 1

- Biker 2

RW Bikes 3

- Sergeant

- Biker 1

- Biker 2

RW Bikes 4

- Sergeant

- Biker 1

- Biker 2

RW Bikes 5

- Sergeant

- Biker 1

- Biker 2

RW Bikes 6

- Sergeant

- Biker 1

- Biker 2

Attack Bike 1

Attack Bike 2

Attack Bike 3

Attack Bike 4

Attack Bike 5

Attack Bike 6

RW Support Squadron

- Vengeance/Darkshroud

- Typhoon 1

- Typhoon 2

- Typhoon 3

And more to come!

This dude was done quite a while ago, but remains the only guy completed in the whole force, He was the test mini before I stopped putting a lot of time into the hobby side of things. Good news though, his friends are going to be joining him ASAP! WIP pictures for the next guy are incoming!

gallery_30758_11605_100053.jpg

gallery_30758_11605_302545.jpg

Here is the guy I've been working on this week in my spare time. He's getting close to completion. Still not happy with the shoulderpad at the moment. Mostly OSL and dirt effects to come after a few smaller details are picked out.

gallery_30758_11605_306860.jpg

gallery_30758_11605_177075.jpg

It's my successor chapter. Black is primary with green as the secondary. Bone and purple and silver accents finish everything out. Took a while to find a scheme I was happy with. I painted my deathwing 3 times before settling o. It :)

I definitely dry brush the black. Eshin gray, then dawnstone. Most of the colors are drybrushed up for the highlights. It looks great and isn't as time consuming.

I'm a little bit frustrated that the new citadel drybrushes are so much larger. I'm going to need to find or make something smaller for the details.

Also, the list looks massive, but most of the ordinary bikes are very close to done from when I worked on them 2 years ago. I did a lot of jumping around between models to keep from being bored. More pics incoming today.

Here's a group shot of the basic RW bikers when I started work on them a couple of years back. You can see that 12 of the bikes and 2 of the attack bikes are getting very close to being done. I'm just focusing on the command squad right now because I use it more than any other unit I own smile.png

Edit: Oops! Picture:

gallery_30758_11605_430769.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

If I'm only running 1, it's Interromancy. Sometimes I roll a 2nd on Interromancy. Then I spread things around. Nice to have spells are 4++, Invisibility, hammerhand, +1 invuln, Shrouding, prescience. Basically buffs to multiply the strength of my command squad.

I think divination, telepathy, and sanctic give the best bang on those fronts. Pyro has some nice utility. That 4+ cover for nothing is solid, especially when combined with shrouded

1/  Interomancy

2/  Divination

Both these dovetail with the biker squads and don't have really weak powers

Avoid Telepathy there is 1 good power (Shrouding) on it and 1 game changer / broken (Invisibility) Psychic shriek is ok against the right opponent but its witch fire so you have to role  to hit so if he's on a bike your struggling (Jink). Telekenisis Yea whatever

3/ Santic - if your running a conclave this is a neat one (Hammerhand Cleansing Flame etc) & against deamons its useful

Pyro - good for small games with some decent stuff on it

Archived