Heavy Weapon squads: making the most out of the kit

awilden

As Commissar WarriorFish writes, the lengths of the section from the tripod mount to the handles differ slightly so magnetising the tripod to swap between different weapons is not the best option.

With the HWT you only get 2 kneeling Cadians so this is what I am doing... (take with pinch of salt as applicable)

You will need an extra pack of Cadians or snap fit Cadians and a couple of standard models plus a kneeling set of legs from the PCS/Wyvern kit

Also you will need extra 60mm bases or you can make your own like I have.

If available extra tripods or something like sandbags or wall sections instead.

Plastcard

Missile launcher

Take a standard Cadian (standing in your pose of choice) to carry/fire the launcher

Snap fit or standard Cadian to act as loader/rifleman

Do not use the 2 legged stand

Mortar

2 standing Cadians

Fit the 2 legged stand to the mortar tube as shown in the instructions

Autocannon/Lascannon/Heavy bolter (I managed to get some extra tripods)

Use 1 kneeling Cadian as the firer, 1 standing Cadian as loader/rifleman

decide which will get the tripod and which will use sandbags/wall sections/trees/rocks etc instead then assemble as per the instructions

but use the original gunshield to mark up the plasticard to give you 2 more gunshields.

DIY bases with recess to remove the rifleman as a wound marker or to use in a standard infantry squad

gallery_62353_10059_39096.jpg

Other ways to stretch your dollar/plastic:

-all those sandbags? Trim them so they fit together and make a nice base to support your HWT in lieu of another tripod.

-this one I have not actually done yet but explored and it's feasible: take the cover from a Skoal chewing tobacco tin, thoroughly clean (duh) and then mark up so that stuff adheres to it better. Boom. 60mm base

-if you have extra mortar tubes, missile launchers, heavy bolters (you will have extra heavy bolters), get creative with the sandbags again or other bits and make homemade Objective markers. I have one that is a heavy bolter and ammo boxes resting on some sandbags. I have another that is just a missile launcher and extra missiles. A similar mortar. Adds some fluff and nice scenery to your board. My house rules sometimes include them as "free" weapons that can be accessed by any model within 2" of them ala rules for Quadgun etc...

-depending on your tastes, it looks fine to have one kneeling guardsmen in a HWT and another standing and pointing, using binos, firing a lasgun, whatever. Or for mortars, have one standing next to it dropping in the mortar.

I used tamiya (?) Sandbags to mount a couple of guns. Most of mine aren't manned by gunners. 1 guy glued to the base and 1 guy on a normal 25mm base. Not as elegant as elmos but the same idea.

I bought extra tripods, 60mm bases and gun shields off ebay. I have 6 mortars, 11 autocannons, 9 lascannons, 8 missle launchers (only 3 on 60mm bases though.)

I didn't use my HWS boxes to their fullest, mostly because all I really wanted was the heavy bolters, autocannons and mortars. I did use 3 missile launchers, but those were really for sinking into infantry units (as flakk launchers to force those jinks).

I really like elmo's idea, and I had a similar idea, though I was going to use foam core board and cardboard to make the bases.

Archived