Ovidius' Knightly Quest, 3/7 Paint update, with pics

Yeah, that's looking great man. You've done a really nice job of the reposition, perhaps a tiny tweek more upright to give him slightly more of a balanced position. You'll be able to call that better than me though as you have the beauty in your hands.

To mirror the Col though, looking forward to some colour, you're nearly there. :-)

Edit: actually it might just be the angle of one of the pics making him look a little 'tippy'

You're right.  It does look a bit off kilter from that straight on angle.  I think it's a function of how the legs are positioned, the angle, and the fact that the ankles aren't glued.  In hindsight, I definitely should have flared it out to open the stance a bit; would've helped for both stability and the lines.  It's exacerbated by the fact that the ankle's not glued and, as you can see, has come separated from the leg, so it's not quite in the final glued pose.  But...it is still tippy, and short of cutting the hip pin and redoing one or two of the GS soft armor joints, I can't see a way to rectify it.

My somewhat excessive desire to keep the components separate for ease of painting makes the modeling/posing aspect much harder.

Have been doing some minor finishing work and starting to work on final embellishments/trophies.  Just need to do GS hoses for the reposed legs and the lower body is pretty much done.

Have really been struggling with what to do to jazz up the Reaper, though.  Was thinking about adding some blades from my DE bitz box.  Do any of these ideas strike you as feasible?  That gaping hole where the arm mount used to be is just driving me nuts right now.

I'd cut the "tails" off these blades first and they'd obviously sit lower on the spine of the blade, but this is the concept:

http://i44.photobucket.com/albums/f32/Oat_Action_Man/Reaper%20Prototype%202_zpsdokkuakr.jpg

Could mount another blade parallel to the main blade, but I'm not overly keen on it:

http://i44.photobucket.com/albums/f32/Oat_Action_Man/Reaper%20Prototype%203_zps8mkxtsep.jpg

Or mount two blades perpendicular to the main axis.  I sorta like this one, but it's still not totally sold me yet:

http://i44.photobucket.com/albums/f32/Oat_Action_Man/Reaper%20Prototype%201_zps9qhgznqg.jpg

I'm also considering filling in the recessed area of the main blade.  Get rid of the filigree-y stuff and filling the low spot in so the blade looks a little beefier overall (keeping the axles the chain runs on and the skull thing at the base of the blade).  Yay?  Nay?

C&C?  I'll be moving forward with the finger repose while this sword percolates for a while.

I'll be adding some chains and flesh hooks/skulls, etc. on the body.  I want to get the "psychopathic killer with a refined edge" vibe without going too far to "SKULLZ FOR THE SKULL THRONE!!!11!!1"

I think I'll do just that. I'm going to go forward with the rest of the model and then come back to the fist/sword after I've got some paint on and have it stable on the base so I can try various looks without having the whole house of cards keep falling apart on me. Guess that's the good thing about magnets!

I was really hoping to get some primer on certain bits tonight, but I've got way too much work for the next few days. And my order of Alclad Chrome paint hasn't come through, so I can't do the pistons, which I would have done first before the overall steel scheme of the body. Really annoyed with the vendor I used; shoulda read reviews first! furious.gif

But I've been thinking about the paint scheme:

Armor plates will be some combination of light gray and red with black as an occasional spot color. Metallic trim will be a dark copper. The armor plate above the head I think I will do with a spot color, either entirely copper-ish or black/yellow hazard striping.

I think for weathering I'll just do oil shading, washing and streaking instead of doing "hairspray" weathering (I've got some MIG product I want to try out). I don't think the "totally beat" look captures the vibe I want.

I have not been idle the last few days.  The beast has been finalized and primed and a few base colors have gone on select parts so far.  No pictures because I've only put on a few dark metallics and a dark gray coat, so nothing very photogenic.  When I get more layers done and some reds, I'll post pictures.

• 3 weeks later...

Sorry for the long delay, but I have been relatively dutifully working on the Carnifex.

Had a slight delay when I broke off the nozzle of my Iwata and got the threads stuck in the body of the airbrush. Had to fix that and order a replacement nozzle. In the interim, I had to dig out my old Paasche, which means a few parts have noticeably worse spray quality, but oh well, the show had to go on.

Everything, except the banner, now has at least a base coat on it, but pretty much everything has at least two or three shades down and I'm nearing the stage of doing cleanup and then detail work.

I have many more pictures, including WIPs, but this is where I got to tonight to give you all an idea of the scheme and where the beast stands at the moment.

I am hoping that, within two or three weeks, it will be ready for oils/weathering.

As I get more time away from painting, I'll post some of the backlog of WIP shots.

Sorry for the flash, it really washes a lot of my extremely time consuming shading out. dry.png

http://i44.photobucket.com/albums/f32/Oat_Action_Man/Carnifex%20WIP%202_zpszbnd8st3.jpg

Basic scheme of the livery is red and gray with blacks and yellows thrown in for spot colors. Occasional checkerboard and stripes thrown in. All the trim metallics are a bronze color.

I am toying with the idea of turning the central red stripe on the carapace into a V shape and putting tiny patches of the gray in between the red and the black, because the gray makes the bronze pop more, but that's more masking. Ugh. Thoughts?

http://i44.photobucket.com/albums/f32/Oat_Action_Man/Carnifex%20WIP%201_zps9gavevsz.jpg

http://i44.photobucket.com/albums/f32/Oat_Action_Man/Carnifex%20Shield%201_zpsmajyirt4.jpg

Shading really washed out on that one...and it's a gargantuan shot, for some reason. rolleyes.gif This thing is pretty much done except a transfer and some weathering/damage (I'll just use that part where the tape peeled the paint to good effect...).

Overall, I'm quite pleased with it so far, and I'd love to tack it all together for a WIP glamor shot, but I'd be worried about it all falling to bits and chipping some paint.

C&C welcome!

Archived